Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2019, 12:41 AM

24 posts, read 12,751 times

Advertisements

I've finished The Great Alone book and I love this one. This book contains the story of a man named Ernt. He wants to live a happy and peaceful life with his family. For this, he moves his family to the wilds of Alaska to start their lives anew. While many of her books are bittersweet and run the gamut of life’s emotions, this one is the pretty bleak cover to cover. If all is stable and calm in your world and you read it from a place of peace. It provides the perfect backdrop for an equally dramatic tale, one that feels remarkably current for the 1970s setting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 01:54 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times
Past Tense (Jack Reacher #23), Lee Child (2018)

Old 01-20-2019, 06:46 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times
Breaking The Habit of Being Yourself: How to Lose Your Mind and Create a New One, Joe Dispenza (2012)

Old 01-20-2019, 09:50 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
I am reading Inheritance by Dani Shapiro. Shapiro, a successful author and memoirist, sends her DNA to Ancesty on a lark and discovers that her father was not her biological father. The book is written in what feels like real-time as Shapiro peals back the layers of family secrets.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:03 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime
by Mark Haddon

Old 01-20-2019, 02:41 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
Ruin Falls by the same author as Cover of Snow (I forgot her name).
It's truly unbelievable i.e, there is no part of it that is believable.

Old 01-20-2019, 06:46 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,015 times
A few years back I started a book called The Family, which is about the secret religious group that has a shockingly high degree of control over Washington. It was a little slow going for me at the beginning, and then I had some other books I had to read for various reasons (like book clubs) and then it was lost for a while in a major move, so it was sitting on my goodreads shelf as "currently reading" for a few years. So, I was determined to knock that one out in 2019 and wanted to do it NOW. So, I did, and it was a very good and worthwhile read.

In the meantime, I bought a book called Amity and Prosperity (on ylisa's recommendation) and I was browsing through it one evening and read 50 pages. But I wanted to finish The Family, so I forced myself to finish that and then I was going to continue with Amity, which at least so far is fantastic. But then a book I requested at the library came through, and I wanted to renew it but am not allowed to, as someone else has requested it. So, again, Amity is on temporary hold while I try to rush through The War Before the War: Fugitive Slaves and the Struggle for America's Soul from the Revolution to the Civil War. That book is excellent, but it is definitely heavy reading and not the sort of book you can skim at all. I'm hoping to devote significant chunks of tonight and tomorrow to it so I can hopefully finish it up. It was due at the library yesterday!

Old 01-20-2019, 07:18 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow. I put down First Founders: American Puritans and Puritanism in an Atlantic World by Francis J. Bremer when I had a chance to borrow Hamilton from a colleague.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:10 AM

556 posts, read 788,431 times
I'm back on kindle unlimited got it for $.99 for 3 months and currently reading The Twelve Apostles by William Coughlin.

When one of the twelve leading lawyers died, the vacant chair in the famous law firm Nelson & Clark was the most sought after in the industry. So terrifying is the power and influence of this law firm that its senior partners are known as "the Twelve Apostles".

I like this author and this book is definitely holding my interest.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:33 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Library books always become available at the worst possible moment. I just got Secret Life of Bees, so yeah, I had to put aside some books that I was in the middle of.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books