Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2019, 08:26 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,069,126 times

Advertisements

Also where is ketabcha ? she has not been here in a while say at least three pages back . worried when the regulars don't show ;. I hope they are alright .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 06:20 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,011,510 times
Pinetreelover -- I finished Inheritance. It was much, Much, MUCH better than I first thought it was. In fact, it was excellent and well worth the tears that I had at various points and the all-out crying at the end. Dani did good this time.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:44 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Good luck in your new location....Marlow. Wondered where you were...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Nice to see a familiar name- welcome back Marlow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
okay Marlowe out with it update please you moved halfway across the country and how are you doing with that ? that also means a new library and a new library card right ? LOL . gosh have we missed you and your wonderful sense of humor . please let us know how you like your new place dear .
Thanks, all! We traded the Texas Gulf Coast for the mountains of Appalachia and all in all it's been a good move. We are just a few blocks from a fabulous library and I got my card first thing.

I'm currently reading Missoula, non-fiction, by Jon Krakauer about a rape and the justice system in a college town. So far it's mostly upsetting, but I'll keep at it.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:47 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Pinetreelover -- I finished Inheritance. It was much, Much, MUCH better than I first thought it was. In fact, it was excellent and well worth the tears that I had at various points and the all-out crying at the end. Dani did good this time.
I'll put that one on my list.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:55 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,923,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Reading a book called Maid. Subtitle is Hard Work, Low Pay, and a Mother's Will to Survive. It's okay. I've read a bunch of books that deal with this issue -- that is, the working poor and what a struggle it is to get by every day. It's interesting, but this author tends to get whiney, which I haven't really found in some other books I've read. This is definitely not the best book on this subject, but it's a decent enough read if you like reading a lot about the working poor.
If you're interested in this topic, "Hand to Mouth" by Linda Tirado is excellent.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:27 AM

24 posts, read 12,736 times
I've finished The Watchmaker's Daughter and I love it. This book starts with a thrilling new historical fantasy series from the author Freak House and Emily Chambers spirit medium books. The main character of this story is india steele. Her father is dead and she takes an employee with a person who is really mysterious man from America. He possesses a strange watch that rejuvenates him when he's ill. when India reads about an American outlaw known as the Dark Rider arriving in England, she suspects Mr. Glass is the fugitive. After this, she notifies the authorities and finds herself unemployed and homeless again. Finally, she will have betrayed the man who saved her life.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:08 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,718,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
If you're interested in this topic, "Hand to Mouth" by Linda Tirado is excellent.
I read that one a couple years ago -- it was better than Maid. Another one came out at almost the same time called $2.00 a Day, which I found a little more enlightening and a good read in conjunction with Hand to Mouth.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:28 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,718,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Thanks, all! We traded the Texas Gulf Coast for the mountains of Appalachia and all in all it's been a good move. We are just a few blocks from a fabulous library and I got my card first thing.

I'm currently reading Missoula, non-fiction, by Jon Krakauer about a rape and the justice system in a college town. So far it's mostly upsetting, but I'll keep at it.
Missoula was a fantastic book. Yes, disturbing, but important for everyone to know about.

Glad the move has been positive!

Old 01-31-2019, 07:48 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,796,788 times
Default Gritty reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I read that one a couple years ago -- it was better than Maid. Another one came out at almost the same time called $2.00 a Day, which I found a little more enlightening and a good read in conjunction with Hand to Mouth.
Or Nickle and dimed - : on (not) getting by in America / Barbara Ehrenreich.

Summary
Nickel and Dimed is a modern classic that deftly portrays the plight of America's working-class poor. Author Barbara Ehrenreich decides to see if she can scratch out a comfortable living in blue-collar America. What she discovers is a culture of desperation, where workers often take multiple low-paying jobs just to keep a roof overhead.

Also available on tape. A glimpse into other lives.

Old 01-31-2019, 02:23 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,135,962 times
Be Careful What You Wish For (The Clifton Chronicles #4), Jeffrey Archer (2014).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books