Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2019, 07:25 PM

443 posts, read 437,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I then picked up The Immortalists, which was highly recommended to me on a Facebook page that had a book discussion. The premise is that 4 kids in 1969 go to a psychic and are told their date of death. The book then follows the 4 siblings as they deal with this knowledge. Unfortunately, this just didn't work for me. Three of them die young -- one very young, one young, and one relatively young. The first is utterly predictable and something we've heard a thousand times over. The second was just kind of strange, and it doesn't really make sense why the character does the things she does. The third gets just ludicrous and the character does something really bizarre and downright insane.

It was a quick read, and I liked the premise and the initial set up of this family. But I thought it failed in the execution. Oh well.

Aww, that's disappointing to hear! There was such a big deal made about this book all over my IG when it first came out and it's been on my TBR list since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 01:23 AM

29 posts, read 16,827 times
Reading books are my hobby. I read many books have different types.

Old 02-08-2019, 06:18 AM

417 posts, read 455,244 times
I am reading Girl Waits with Gun. I know someone recommended it here, and it's pretty cute and a good capturing of the time period (turn of the last century?) but somehow I am having to force myself to read it.

Old 02-08-2019, 06:37 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
Back now to my first love, nonfiction. Reading Dopesick by Beth Macy.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:00 AM

443 posts, read 437,717 times
Reading The Magus by John Fowles

Old 02-08-2019, 08:03 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Back now to my first love, nonfiction. Reading Dopesick by Beth Macy.

Nonfiction for me too...I'd like to read this.

Old 02-08-2019, 11:03 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Due to lack of audio books that were holding my attention, I am listening to Longevity, by Cameron Diaz. Usually I would not listen to any celebrity on stuff like this, BUT my instincts were right, and this is a decent book, with lots of reasonable, scientific discussion. So far I really like it.

The other is a library book that became available... How to Steal Like an Artist, super short and for me, very enlightening, but I'm coming from a place where I battle with the issue of creativity with my photography, and what might be very simplistic for some, is eye opening for me. In my defense I think it was a NYT best seller and very well reviewed.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-08-2019, 11:34 AM

Cameron Diaz does scientific discussions? What is scientific about the book?

Old 02-08-2019, 12:04 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Cameron Diaz does scientific discussions? What is scientific about the book?
Discussion on scientific research regarding aging, how medicine differs between genders, and stuff like that.

So far it matches information I am familiar with, and not studies like "if you eat 3 pieces of okra a week, and do a kombucha enema studies show you will live forever" type of stuff.

I'm only part way through though.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-08-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Discussion on scientific research regarding aging, how medicine differs between genders, and stuff like that.

So far it matches information I am familiar with, and not studies like "if you eat 3 pieces of okra a week, and do a kombucha enema studies show you will live forever" type of stuff.

I'm only part way through though.

Got it....

(okra? Kombucha enema?....)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books