Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2019, 05:04 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times

Advertisements

After all this adulation, I'm going to pack A Ladder to the Sky in my suitcase for when I go to Hawaii later this week. I got it a few months back through BOMC and thought it looked interesting, but just haven't been able to get to it. I had a couple book club books I needed to get through and a couple library books I had to read before they were due back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 05:58 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
After all this adulation, I'm going to pack A Ladder to the Sky in my suitcase for when I go to Hawaii later this week. I got it a few months back through BOMC and thought it looked interesting, but just haven't been able to get to it. I had a couple book club books I needed to get through and a couple library books I had to read before they were due back.
Now I feel pressure. I hope that you enjoy it... and have a lovely vacation.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:16 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I started Where Reasons End by Yiyun Li last night. I won't continue reading it; I don't like it. It's too -- I can't think of the right word -- floaty. It's a conversation with her son, who killed himself, but he's dead so is the conversation in her head? I don't know. It's too "out there" ... too floaty for me.

I started her memoir (Dear Friend, from My Life I Write to You in Your Life) this morning -- I wasn't quite ready to get out of bed and start my day. I'll get farther with this one, but I know that I won't love it. Her writing style is odd. It's not as odd as it is in Where Reasons End, but odd nonetheless. And coming off the perfection of John Boyne yesterday, I'm difficult to please.

Ahhhh... you are the best, Dawn. And a double win for me - I didn't have to risk overwhelming sadness by reading Where Reasons End and I dodged a floaty bullet in the process.

I am looking foward to starting down the John Boyne path!

Old 02-12-2019, 11:15 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Ahhhh... you are the best, Dawn. And a double win for me - I didn't have to risk overwhelming sadness by reading Where Reasons End and I dodged a floaty bullet in the process.

I am looking foward to starting down the John Boyne path!
My pleasure! That said, you might like Where Reasons End so... I dunno. But for me it was a hard no.

As to John Boyne, he got fabulous reviews for The Heart's Invisible Furies. I quit that one a quarter of the way through -- it was predictable and had too many coincidences and the kids spoke like royalty. Twasn't for me at all at all at all.

But The Absolutist and A Ladder to the Sky? Both of those were FANtastic! I don't remember The Absolutist except that I loved it. A Ladder to the Sky is FRESH in my mind and was incredible reading.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:08 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,551 times
Deep Economy by Bill McKibben. Read it when it came out in 2007 and every word still rings true today except that things are even more urgent than they were a decade ago.

Old 02-13-2019, 03:23 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,137,018 times
The Dinner, Herman Koch (2009). Started yesterday and am hooked!

Old 02-13-2019, 03:58 AM

8 posts, read 4,986 times
I read Peak Performance: Elevate Your Game, Avoid Burnout, and Thrive with the New Science of Success. It's a great book about productivity.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:43 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post

I read that a few years ago, when it first came out. I thought it was very good. I heard that there was a movie made of it -- although I believe it was a European film, so it wouldn't have been in wide release in the U.S. I've never seen the movie, though, and I'm not even 100% certain it did come out.

I bought his next book right after The Dinner, called Summer House with Swimming Pool, but unfortunately, it's never made it to the top of my TBR pile. I should go dig it out and move it into my current pile.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:46 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post

Ouch. That one hurts. I love the premise - all the book take place during one dinner in the restaurant.

But from the perspective of parents of teenage boys (which I was when I read it) it actually made my stomach hurt.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:51 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,927,273 times
I just finished Washington Black for book club.

Brutal. I would never have read it if I didn't have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books