Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2019, 03:12 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times

Advertisements

I read another memoir. It was sad -- as most memoirs tend to hint of -- but mostly lovely. By the Iowa Sea by Joe Blair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 08:18 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Will be starting this weekend...

A Ladder to the Sky
by John Boyne
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Ugh - I hated this book! The characters are miserable, mean and dark and the events are so disturbing.

That said - I turned every page and can still remember a very vivid description of a waiter pointing to a menu with his pinky. So - overall hated it, but it sure stuck with me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
After all this adulation, I'm going to pack A Ladder to the Sky in my suitcase for when I go to Hawaii later this week. I got it a few months back through BOMC and thought it looked interesting, but just haven't been able to get to it. I had a couple book club books I needed to get through and a couple library books I had to read before they were due back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Now I feel pressure. I hope that you enjoy it... and have a lovely vacation.
All right, so I just got back from Hawaii and read A Ladder to the Sky in about a day and a half. OMG -- it was just brilliant. Yes, most of the characters, especially the protagonist, are horrible people, but wow. What a story.

I also read a book that just came out, and I was psyched to have won an ARC on goodreads, called The Mastermind. It's a true story about a guy who is kind of an international drug kingpin, and it's supposed to be a Scarface/Godfather kind of story with some Breaking Bad thrown in, but I didn't think the story really held together very well. Now, it's a true story, so the facts and events are what they are, but I don't know-- it needed some kind of different angle. I expected to love it, but found it good/okay. It was interesting, but it wasn't as compelling as I thought it would or should be.

I'm almost halfway through a book called Blue Dreams, which is about psychotropic drugs. It's interesting, but I feel like the author (who is a psychologist who suffers from depression) really wants to be a novel-writer, as I'm finding many parts to be over-written and including grand descriptions of irrelevant things.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:53 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
All right, so I just got back from Hawaii and read A Ladder to the Sky in about a day and a half. OMG -- it was just brilliant. Yes, most of the characters, especially the protagonist, are horrible people, but wow. What a story.
I'm SO glad that you enjoyed it SO much. I feel relieved. I'm always worried when I think so highly of a book and recommend it in a pushy way.

Welcome back to the winter wonderland.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:57 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Have been into historical novels lately
Read two by Maureen Ash set in era of William Rufus—son of William the Conqueror that were mysteries solved by a Saxon (conquered people) embroiderer —may be more in this series “Death Riddle” and “The King’s Riddle”
Available as Kindle Unlimited on Amazon if you are Unlimited member

And also by Ash a series w/Templar Knight as detective—Sir Bascot de Marins called Templar Knight Mysteries
Set during King John’s reign with the Lady of Haye as recurring character—if you like historical novels this is a good era
First was “Alehouse Murders” #2 “The Death of a Squire”
There are quite a few in this series—some are Kindle Unlimited
I read the first two on Open Library—that is hit or miss since not all are available there
Hoping I can use either Amazon or Open and read for free the entire series
Good writing, historically accurate and I love a mystery...

Old 02-25-2019, 07:15 AM

34,993 posts, read 16,964,237 times
I just finished Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow.

The book, and Ron Chernow, is exceptional, scholarly and entertaining at the same time. I had not realized how central a character was in American life. And how much of a "rags to riches" (well not financially but in terms of impact) he was. Alexander Hamilton's life, warts and all, is exposed. He was a true genius but then again, he operated in a sea of such people; John and Abigail Adams, Thomas Jefferson, Aaron Burr, Benjamin Franklin to name a few.

The book amply demonstrates that when the chips were down, he made what are now considered the right choices. He picked his political enemy, Thomas Jefferson, over Aaron Burr when it came to the deadlocked 1800 election. After romantic dalliances he returned to hearth and home. What wasn't explained was Chernow's strong distaste for John Adams. Generally the kind of people who like Adams would like Hamilton, or so you'd think.

But those are quibbles; I recommend the book, strongly.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:31 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,137,018 times
Mission Critical (Gray Man #8), Mark Greaney (2019).

Old 02-27-2019, 05:32 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,384,352 times
The Marilyn Monroe memoir My Story was very lame. It felt like it was written by an innocent and very ignorant little girl. I just can't believe she was that naive. Horrible writing style.

Yesterday evening I picked up Age of Miracles. It's supposed to be climate fiction and I'm looking forward to going to bed tonight and read a bit

Old 02-27-2019, 10:06 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,137,018 times
Put down Gray Man for now, and picked up The Longevity Solution: Rediscovering Centuries-Old Secrets to a Healthy, Long Life, Dr. Jason Fung, James Dinicolantonio (2019).

Old 02-27-2019, 01:19 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Just finished “Lord Edward’s Archer” about the Black Prince and young man who becomes captain of his archers
Hoping it will be a series
Grif Hoskins is author—has impressive number of novels in fairly short time—less than 10 years

Old 02-27-2019, 08:54 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
Yesterday evening I picked up Age of Miracles. It's supposed to be climate fiction and I'm looking forward to going to bed tonight and read a bit
Ooohhh - I think I recommended that one. I hope you like it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books