Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2019, 04:08 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Have been into historical novels lately
Read two by Maureen Ash set in era of William Rufus—son of William the Conqueror that were mysteries solved by a Saxon (conquered people) embroiderer —may be more in this series “Death Riddle” and “The King’s Riddle”
Available as Kindle Unlimited on Amazon if you are Unlimited member

And also by Ash a series w/Templar Knight as detective—Sir Bascot de Marins called Templar Knight Mysteries
Set during King John’s reign with the Lady of Haye as recurring character—if you like historical novels this is a good era
First was “Alehouse Murders” #2 “The Death of a Squire”
There are quite a few in this series—some are Kindle Unlimited
I read the first two on Open Library—that is hit or miss since not all are available there
Hoping I can use either Amazon or Open and read for free the entire series
Good writing, historically accurate and I love a mystery...
One aspect I have noticed as I continue with this series is that she does not have her characters drift from behaviors that are normal for that era
I mean they don’t do PC things that are out of context for their personalities and the time period...

The main character is a Templar—very religious man but w/o some of the prejudices common to the time like hatred of Jews because while a Saracen slave his life was saved by a Jewish slave...
So he had a personal connection—and because that man died helping free him, he also felt gratitude that carried over once he was free...but he also didn’t make a big production of his POV—it was stealthy...

Same man was investigating a murder, found a witness who was a homeless beggar child of about 5–a girl—
Living w/her slightly older brother in the open, sheltered only by leaves and other debris...and in this book it has already snowed heavily several times...I wondered how they survived in that cold...
He gave her a couple of silver pennies for her info and at the end his cloak for additional warmth—
But made no efforts to find her a better living situation, refer her to one of the churches in town, or ask the castellian Lady de Haye to intervene...
That type of intervention just wasn’t done back then...

So historically very accurate—and all the more interesting for that attention to detail...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 02:09 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,386,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Ooohhh - I think I recommended that one. I hope you like it!

I do! I think I'll be through in one or two days. Very good story.

Currently also listening to The Host by Stephenie Mayer when I'm driving and also Shadow Creek by Joy Fielding when I'm cooking and cleaning

Old 03-05-2019, 06:03 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
Just finished The Doctors' Plague: Germs, Childbed Fever, and the Strange Story of Ignac Semmelweis for my book club, which was a very short (<200 pages) yet interesting read. Having read the highly acclaimed (and recommended here) Ladder to the Sky by John Boyne over vacation, I was interested in reading some of his other books. The even more highly acclaimed Heart's Invisible Furies was available from BOMC for $9.99, so I added that to my books for this month. It was their "Book of the Year" for 2017. It arrived yesterday, and last night, after finishing Childbed Fever, I picked it up, just intending to read a couple pages to see how it was. I ended up reading over 50 pages. So I guess I'm reading that one now, even though there were a few other books in my TBR pile that I had anticipated reading next.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:27 AM

24 posts, read 12,759 times
I was interested about mental and autoimmune health issues and vaccines. I've started reading Gut and Psychology Syndrome book. I found it very interesting. It is easy to read, there is a lot of good information about how your digestive system should work and what it looks like when it is deficient.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:33 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,376,409 times
I'm enjoying my switch to some lighter fiction as I read A Place of Execution by Val McDermid. I've read a few others by this author and this one is good too.

Old 03-05-2019, 02:31 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,543,837 times
"Universe in Flames" by Christian Kallas, a 5 book set. It is a Starwars type space opera. I am 35% through the set and it is OK.

What is worse than a mediocre book? A long mediocre book. If it were totally bad I would have given up by now. But I have invested enough time in it that I refuse to give up. However I will be glad to finish so I can move onto something hopefully better.

Old 03-05-2019, 04:03 PM

48,524 posts, read 34,843,322 times
The Dinner was fabulous. I think what I like best about it was the order in which the author chose to tell the story. I don't feel I would have liked nearly as much if was told in a linear timeline.

I chose Love and Louis the XIV by Antonia Fraser for my next audio book.

I'm returning the Falco book because I didn't realize it was a mystery series.... not my cuppa tea.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-06-2019, 07:16 AM

831 posts, read 412,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Ooohhh - I think I recommended that one. I hope you like it!
Finally got back into reading again...just finished "The Age of Miracles" by Karen Thompson Walker https://www.amazon.com/Age-Miracles-.../dp/0812982940

Enjoyed the story and the writing.

Thanks for posting the recommendation pinetreelover!

Old 03-07-2019, 05:39 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,386,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse66 View Post
Finally got back into reading again...just finished "The Age of Miracles" by Karen Thompson Walker https://www.amazon.com/Age-Miracles-.../dp/0812982940

Enjoyed the story and the writing.

Thanks for posting the recommendation pinetreelover!

Finished the book yesterday, too and also liked it a lot.

Started Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods and will also start The Laughing Corpse by Laurell K. Hamilton this weekend.

Old 03-07-2019, 05:59 AM

831 posts, read 412,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
Finished the book yesterday, too and also liked it a lot.

Started Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods and will also start The Laughing Corpse by Laurell K. Hamilton this weekend.
Loved "A Walk in the Woods"!

Up next is "My Brilliant Friend" by Elena Ferrante. I am on page 80 and totally hooked!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books