Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2019, 11:21 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
Yes, he has a very fascinating style to weave in interesting details. I'm about halfway through and enjoy it very much. More often than not it's hilarious and I laugh out loud. I think I couldn't have his companion Katz around me all these days!

It's been nearly two months since I last bought used books. So I just made a trip to the online bookstore and ordered a few more

All Things Bright and Beautiful (James Herriot) - I really really loved the first book!

Ross Poldark (Winston Graham) - I just need to know what the hype is all about.
The Royal Physician's Visit (Per Olov Enquist) - Never read about the Danish Royalty before...
Heart-Shaped Box (Joe Hill) - Loved the Fireman
Slade House (David Mitchell) - Just found it on goodreads and it sounds very interesting.

Have you watched Poldark the show?? I read that the books were actually quite different, focusing more on life during the times, political stances etc. Poldark the show includes some info on way of life but also is very soap opera-ish...focusing more on romantic relationships, although you can learn about the period as well.

Just FYI.

Reading a huge book on the Kennedys...supposedly covers 5 generations.

ps I've had to swear off my online used book store....absolutely no more room for storing them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 11:32 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Finished THE LADDER TO THE SKY.

Without giving anything away....what a diabolical character! Very interesting novel...
Thanks to Dawn...
I know that you usually fly (no pun intended) through books so I wondered if you hadn't liked it. I'm SO glad that you enjoyed it.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I know that you usually fly (no pun intended) through books so I wondered if you hadn't liked it. I'm SO glad that you enjoyed it.

True...I got into a nonfiction I could not stop....

Old 03-11-2019, 12:11 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
After reading Ladder to the Sky, I wanted to read more, so I just finished The Heart's Invisible Furies last night. I liked it a lot, although I liked Ladder a bit more -- ironically perhaps because that one was a less ambitious novel.

Going to start Kamala Harris' book, The Truths We Hold. I'm interested in reading what she has to say, since she is, I believe, one of the main contenders for the D nomination. I didn't want to buy it, though, so I had requested it from the library a couple months ago and it just came through. So I've got to read it while I can.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:34 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
I'm back in memoir mode: Tragedy Plus Time by Adam Cayton-Holland, which I found when I put Sleepwalk with Me (by Mike Birbiglia) on hold at the library. Those would put me in "memoirs by comedians about the not-funny stuff in their life" mode, except that I'm a ways off from reading the latter.

ETA: In Tragedy Plus Time, there is a horrific amount of misspellings, grammatical errors, and random other errors, enough to make my eyes bleed and my brain explode. For some reason, though, I'm still reading it.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 03-11-2019 at 01:48 PM..

Old 03-11-2019, 04:16 PM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
Well, this Whiskey in a Teacup (by Reese Witherspoon) is kind of like reading a magazine. I had no idea what to expect but I didn't quite expect this. It's fine and entertaining but lighter than light. She has photos and recipes and so on with a little bit of stories. Reading on the kindle, photos don't quite have the same appeal.
So, I just got word that The Girl with Seven Names non fiction--is available for me from the library on kindle and that is what I hope to focus on. I will still browse Teacup but it's just super light.

Old 03-11-2019, 06:31 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
After reading Ladder to the Sky, I wanted to read more, so I just finished The Heart's Invisible Furies last night. I liked it a lot, although I liked Ladder a bit more -- ironically perhaps because that one was a less ambitious novel.

Going to start Kamala Harris' book, The Truths We Hold. I'm interested in reading what she has to say, since she is, I believe, one of the main contenders for the D nomination. I didn't want to buy it, though, so I had requested it from the library a couple months ago and it just came through. So I've got to read it while I can.
I'm reading Mayor Pete Buttigieg's book, The Shortest Way Home. I saw him on Morning Joe and the CNN Town Hall last night and was very impressed. Rhodes Scholar, Harvard Grad, Navy Vet and speaks seven languages. He's only 37, but Wow. Kamala's next. Read Warren and Bernie awhile ago.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:07 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I'm reading Mayor Pete Buttigieg's book, The Shortest Way Home. I saw him on Morning Joe and the CNN Town Hall last night and was very impressed. Rhodes Scholar, Harvard Grad, Navy Vet and speaks seven languages. He's only 37, but Wow. Kamala's next. Read Warren and Bernie awhile ago.
I love Buttigeig. I'm not optimistic he can win, given that his biggest experience is mayor, but if he can do it, he'd be great. I'll have to add his book to my list.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:45 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,384,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Have you watched Poldark the show?? I read that the books were actually quite different, focusing more on life during the times, political stances etc. Poldark the show includes some info on way of life but also is very soap opera-ish...focusing more on romantic relationships, although you can learn about the period as well.

Just FYI.

Reading a huge book on the Kennedys...supposedly covers 5 generations.

ps I've had to swear off my online used book store....absolutely no more room for storing them!

No, I haven't seen the show.

PS I still have some free spaces on my shelf (also selling some books again from time to time)

Old 03-12-2019, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
No, I haven't seen the show.

PS I still have some free spaces on my shelf (also selling some books again from time to time)

Where do you sell books, mm??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books