Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2019, 04:40 AM

829 posts, read 411,855 times

Advertisements

When visiting my mom's library in Florida they had the most adorable clocks scattered throughout the library...

When I googled the clock I found you could purchase it on Walmart.com

Need to add this to my wish list!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Infinity-...lock/108975768
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 06:17 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times
Midway through The Girl with Seven Names and I can most definitely recommend it. I didn't know what to expect as it's non fiction and sounded not too interesting to me, but it's for book club so I figured I would try. It's fascinating and extremely engrossing.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...th-seven-names

Old 03-15-2019, 06:51 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times

I'll include that in my list of books to study about WWII.....

THANKS

Old 03-15-2019, 06:54 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Midway through The Girl with Seven Names and I can most definitely recommend it. I didn't know what to expect as it's non fiction and sounded not too interesting to me, but it's for book club so I figured I would try. It's fascinating and extremely engrossing.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...th-seven-names
Sounded interesting so I looked it up...it's a memoir, actually a true story about a North Korean girl and her escape.

Thanks for the book idea...

Old 03-15-2019, 10:53 AM

2,149 posts, read 1,516,220 times
Die Trying by Lee Child

Old 03-15-2019, 11:20 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,706,383 times
The Bourne Identity, by Robert Ludlum

What was I thinking? Actually, what I was thinking was that I'd like some light and escapist fare. So I spent $3 in a used bookstore. This book reminds me of the only Tom Clancy I ever read (The Hunt for Red October). In the same way that Clancy could prattle on for page after page about the propulsion system of a boomer, Ludlum goes on and on about the minutiae of assassin-craft. There were sections, that while relevant to the plot could have been suitably rendered with a single page, yet the author goes on and on needlessly. Bourne is, of course, nearly super-human. He gets shot on a regular basis to no permanent harm. This all was tedious enough, but the romantic subplot was beyond ludicrous, as was the nature of the mysterious Carlos.

After slogging through 180 pages, I discovered that I still had 400 to go. And those 400 will forever go unread, at least by me.

I moved on to ...

Cat's Cradle, by Kurt Vonnegut
Much better. I'm still early on here, but I'm amused and occasionally laughing. It's a bit dated - to be expected for elements of science fiction that are better than half a century old, as well as the subject of the early arms race. Thoroughly enjoyable nonetheless.

Old 03-17-2019, 03:56 AM

2,149 posts, read 1,516,220 times
Dewey - the library cat who touched the world by Vicki Byron

Old 03-17-2019, 05:41 AM

829 posts, read 411,855 times
Just finished "Clock Dance" by Anne Tyler, which I felt was very underwhelming, especially after coming off of "My Brilliant Friend" by Elena Ferrante, which I felt was brilliant.

Now starting "Small Great Things" by Jodi Picoult https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...l-great-things which I have high hopes for since it was recommended here!

Old 03-17-2019, 07:14 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman57 View Post
Dewey - the library cat who touched the world by Vicki Byron

Such a wonderful read!

I am about to finish what will be the third 5-star rated book I have read in the awesome Action/Adventure/Thriller/Sci-Fi series~ Breakthrough by Michael C. Grumley. Book 3 is ~ Catalyst and I will definitely be rating it 5-stars,as well.....fascinating and "edge of your seat" suspense!

https://www.amazon.com/Catalyst-Brea.../dp/B0186N2W9Y

Old 03-17-2019, 03:40 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
I finished the deluge of library books, so back to A Walk in the Woods, and well, one library book remaining which is Spark Joy, an illustrated master class on the are of organizing and tidying up, by Marie Kondo.

This is great timing because we have been downsizing for an up coming move, and I have to say, it has really helped my state of mind when it comes to getting rid of stuff.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books