Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2019, 03:59 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I finished the deluge of library books, so back to A Walk in the Woods, and well, one library book remaining which is Spark Joy, an illustrated master class on the are of organizing and tidying up, by Marie Kondo.

This is great timing because we have been downsizing for an up coming move, and I have to say, it has really helped my state of mind when it comes to getting rid of stuff.

I just heard recently about M Kondo. A good review for me as I continue to pare down....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 06:06 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
I finished up Kamala Harris' book, which was ok. It seemed like a very typical book someone planning to run for president would write. It talks a lot about her general opinions and goes through some of the major events in her life in a very superficial way. At the end of the day, I suppose it did it's job -- I'd be happy to have her as president, although the book didn't make me a superfan.

Somewhere several people had highly recommended a book called Summer Wives. It's not my typical type of read, but when I was at the library, I saw it on display so I picked it up. I almost let the borrowing time expire without reading it, but I was able to renew it and since I finished the Harris book, I figured I'd give it a go. It seems alright.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:53 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Quote:
I finished the deluge of library books, so back to A Walk in the Woods, and well, one library book remaining which is Spark Joy, an illustrated master class on the are of organizing and tidying up, by Marie Kondo.

This is great timing because we have been downsizing for an up coming move, and I have to say, it has really helped my state of mind when it comes to getting rid of stuff.
I read Kondo's book awhile ago. I loved her ideas on organizing linen and clothing drawers. Rolling is the way to go. Kondo also has a show on Netflix.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:56 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,799,413 times
Default The inner life

Revolutionary spirits : the enlightened faith of America's founding fathers / Gary A. Kowalski, c2008, BlueBridge, 277.307 Kowa.

Subjects
• Founding Fathers of the United States -- Religious life.
• United States -- Religion -- To 1800.

Notes
• Revolutionary spirits : introduction -- Nature's nation and nature's God : liberals and deists -- Beyond black arts and witchcraft : the progress of Enlightenment -- A reasonable creature : the faith of Benjamin Franklin -- To bigotry no sanction : the faith of George Washington -- My own mind is my own church : the faith of Thomas Paine -- Delight, joy, triumph, exaltation : the faith of John Adams -- Question with boldness : the faith of Thomas Jefferson -- The dictates of conscience : the faith of James Madison -- Reclaiming the spirit of our founders.

Summary
• Bringing to life the complex creeds and personalities of America's Founding Fathers, this book confronts many of the myths about the religious views of some of the most notable figures in history. Offering clear and candid portraits of Benjamin Franklin, George Washington, Thomas Paine, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, and James Madison as both religious reformers and political rebels, this analysis tells the illuminating story of these unorthodox men of faith and thought and reclaims their spiritual inheritance for all Americans.- from publisher's description

Length
• 215 pages ; endnotes, bibliography, index

A good introduction to the topic, especially the six portraits of the leading Founders.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:02 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
New audio book is The Grass Crown, by Colleen McCullough.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-18-2019, 01:03 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Heavy work days call for light reading. Tonight, if I don't fall asleep first, I'm going to start That Time I Loved You by Carrianne Leung. It's interlinked stories and got good reviews on Goodreads.

Old 03-18-2019, 02:08 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,462,454 times
Quote:

If you're referring to Bill Bryson's "A Walk In The Woods" I read that a month or so ago; I still haven't seen the movie based on it though. Presently I'm on a binge reading Bryson's books; I'm in the middle of "The Lost Continent". Bryson can be quite brutal when he describes the people who make it into his view, but, so far I can't get enough of his style of telling a story even if now and then I do fast forward through a paragraph when he drones on about a matter too long.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Heavy work days call for light reading. Tonight, if I don't fall asleep first, I'm going to start That Time I Loved You by Carrianne Leung. It's interlinked stories and got good reviews on Goodreads.
Nah. Not a fan of child narrators.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:26 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,386,066 times
Just finished A Walk in The Woods by Bryson. Very entertaining, sometimes hilarious.
However, some of his detours into local history, environmental questions, political stuff could have been a bit shorter. But I have learned quite some new and very interesting things and can give a solid 3 star rating.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Nah. Not a fan of child narrators.
Okay, so that didn't work out. I shall persevere. I still need something easy to read so next up I'm trying Look How Happy I'm Making You: Stories by Polly Rosenwaike.

I *know* that I don't typically like short stories. Trust me, I'm the first to know this.

The book is brand-new but the reviews are good -- the author's family and friends say it's great.

Pinetreelover, this might be up your alley. Short stories AND debut. (I know that you like short stories and I *think* that it's you who also -- as I do -- likes first-time authors. If not, I know that I've at least got the short stories part right.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books