Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2019, 08:53 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times

Advertisements

Currently reading J A Jance's The A List, I find her novels entertaining and have read a number of them.

My library only gives us new fiction for 7 days so I set aside Steinbeck's Travels With Charley for a bit, still enjoying rereading this 50+ year old book. I have to admit a predisposition to enjoying travelogues.

Next up will be Our Towns by James and Deborah Fallows, basically a 100,000 road trip through America via light aircraft. I wonder what the proper term for a road trip thru the air is? I've flown myself,from Staten Island to Albany up the Hudson valley and it's a great way to travel. Quite a contrast in a short time between Manhattan and the Catskills.

I've always thought flying the Mississippi from New Orleans to its source would be a neat trip. now if I could only figure a way to finance it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 09:52 AM

443 posts, read 437,717 times
Picked up The Woman in the Window. I've heard a lot of great things about it so I hope it's good.

Old 05-03-2019, 02:55 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
I started reading Just Giving: Why Philanthropy is Failing Democracy and How it Can Do Better, by Rob Reich (NOT Robert Reich, but a different Rob Reich, who is also a professor, but not the former Secy of Labor). It is interesting but it is very academic and kind of dry.

So I also picked up the next book on my library list, which is Never Caught: The Washington's Relentless Pursuit of their Runaway Slave, Ona Judge. So far, that one is very good.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:35 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Lacy Eye, by Jessica Treadway.

A bit of a murder mystery, about a family where the boyfriend of a daughter is accused of murdering the dad and attempting to murder the mother.

Extremely well-written, it rings completely true, but it's left me in a bit of a sad funk. I'd give it 4.5 stars for the writing and believability. It's as if you're reading a real life crime story.

Old 05-05-2019, 02:45 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
Beartown (Bjornstad #1) by Fredrik Backman (2016).
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I have had that one on my TBR list. Let us know what you think about it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Me too.... and have pretty much heard only good about it. One of these days I will read it too.
BEARTOWN.
At the 50 percent point on the kindle and I'm calling it now - this book is great! Will probably turn out to be one of the best of the year so far. Already am in line for some of his other books.

Old 05-05-2019, 09:40 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
Ordered a number of used books recently...Dec 7, 1941 about Pearl Harbor, one on The Battle of Midway and one on D Day, and The Bataan Death March, as my fascination with WWII continues.

Also

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat, The Art Forger, The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving,
Pachinko, Making the Mummies Dance/Inside the Metropolitan Museum of Art....

...some from suggestions here.

Old 05-05-2019, 10:16 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,777,621 times
You have some good choices in there. Some I don't know but I do know The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat - loved it and all of Oliver Sacks books. I'm in the middle of Pachinko right now and I'm really enjoying it. I love family sagas so it fits me well. I'm going to check out several of your others, too. The Art Forger and The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving sound like they're right up my alley. Thanks for giving me some new ideas.

Old 05-05-2019, 10:31 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
You have some good choices in there. Some I don't know but I do know The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat - loved it and all of Oliver Sacks books. I'm in the middle of Pachinko right now and I'm really enjoying it. I love family sagas so it fits me well. I'm going to check out several of your others, too. The Art Forger and The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving sound like they're right up my alley. Thanks for giving me some new ideas.

You are welcome....some have been passed on to me by cd bookworms...

Love this thread!

Old 05-05-2019, 11:51 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
That was a great one. i read it forever ago - was recommended by a friend who is a head injury therapist.

Very interesting cases.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:10 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
The Glass Forest by someone. I don't recall the name, nor do I care. Nothing, absolutely nothing, happens in the first third of the book except tons of description. It has dragged on and on and I just keep waiting for something to happen. I am now to the last 50 pages and I think something is going to happen, now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books