Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2019, 07:41 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
It's the first of hers I've read. Which one should be next? I have Snow Flower and the Secret Fan & China Dolls downloaded and ready to go.

Just started The Bees, Laline Paull 2014.
I absolutely loved The Bees. Hope you do, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 10:18 AM

829 posts, read 410,848 times
Just finished "Bull Mountain" by Brian Panowich https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-bull-mountain

Thought I would mix it up a little with this one (not my favorite genre, crime fiction). For me it was a 3.6 star read. I did like it enough that I'm looking forward to reading the follow up to this book "Like Lions" which was released in April.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:38 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
Just finished up a book called Love, Money & Parenting, which is about how economic situations affect the way people parent their kids. It was interesting and gives a lot of food for thought but it's fairly academic and sometimes discusses the issues in a very in depth manner -- I am willing to accept of the conclusions without a thorough analysis of all of their data. The main takeaway is that parents are stricter and more involved (sometimes too involved - i.e. 'helicopter parents') when there are higher levels of economic inequality combined with higher returns to more years of education.

I started a very interesting book called Bottle of Lies, which is about fraud and ineffective drugs in the generic drug industry. Unfortunately, I had to pause my reading because I need to read a book for my book club in a couple days. Fortunately, I am enjoying the book club book, even though I wasn't super excited to read it -- it's called Burial Rites, by Hannah Kent and it is historical fiction about a woman who is executed in Iceland.

Old 06-03-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Just finished up a book called Love, Money & Parenting, which is about how economic situations affect the way people parent their kids. It was interesting and gives a lot of food for thought but it's fairly academic and sometimes discusses the issues in a very in depth manner -- I am willing to accept of the conclusions without a thorough analysis of all of their data. The main takeaway is that parents are stricter and more involved (sometimes too involved - i.e. 'helicopter parents') when there are higher levels of economic inequality combined with higher returns to more years of education.

I started a very interesting book called Bottle of Lies, which is about fraud and ineffective drugs in the generic drug industry. Unfortunately, I had to pause my reading because I need to read a book for my book club in a couple days. Fortunately, I am enjoying the book club book, even though I wasn't super excited to read it -- it's called Burial Rites, by Hannah Kent and it is historical fiction about a woman who is executed in Iceland.
I am about to start Bottle of Lies and soon after Teeth on the practices of dentists.

Old 06-03-2019, 03:04 PM

I finished The Flight Portfolio by Julie Orringer about Varian Fry and others based in Marseille, France. Their mission being to rescue threatened writers, artists and political figures from the Nazis. Marc Chagall being one on the successful attempts. It was meticulously researched and well written.

Thanks to the person who recommended Dutch Girl about Audrey Hepburn's experiences in Holland during WW II.

I have Paris, 741 by Lisa Wiebold on hold about the rescue of Jewish orphans who were rescued and raised as Catholics. Madeline Albright comes to mind.

Old 06-03-2019, 04:57 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
It's the first of hers I've read. Which one should be next? I have Snow Flower and the Secret Fan & China Dolls downloaded and ready to go.
You'll love it. (China Dolls is good but not as good, IMO, as some of her others.)

Old 06-03-2019, 05:18 PM

19,799 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Victoria: A Life by A.N. Wilson. It is the book the series is based upon, although the series has quite a lot of fiction in it. However, this biography is very interesting and well-written, not dry at all.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:01 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,137,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I absolutely loved The Bees. Hope you do, too.
66 percent through and I'm loving it!

Old 06-04-2019, 02:51 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,384,352 times
Hi

Wow, you've all been very busy bees. It's been a few weeks since I last checked in and I had to read a little over 20 pages to get up to date

We had quite a lot to do these days. The weekends were packed with soccer games of DD and DS as well as many outdoorsy things with friends. I'm glad the soccer season is over so we can calm down a bit again.

Anyhow, I've made it through
Tears of the Desert: One Woman's True Story of Surviving the Horrors of Darfur

It was really horrible and after having read Waris Diries' Desert Flower nearly 20 years ago I should have know better. It is unbelievable how comfortable it is to just close ones eyes to all the suffering people in some countries must endure. That not knowing or choosing not wanting to know what happens in other countries or sometimes even in families next door, makes your life that much easier.

Now on to something light and easy:

How to be bad by E. Lockhardt
and also
The History of Bees by Maja Lunde

Have a terrific week!

Old 06-04-2019, 07:21 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
Wow so much talk about bees!
I just finished Beartown, and thought it was so beautifully written.(the story was pretty amazing as well). Glad I stuck it out as the beginning did not grab me.
All this talk about bees-- I just checked and my library has The Bees on kindle so I just checked it out and will try to start it later today. Doesn't sound like my kind of book, but a few of you have really recommended it so I hope I agree!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books