Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2007, 10:22 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times

Advertisements

While looking for books by Russian authors, I stumbled upon A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian, a first novel by Marina Lewycka. A book about a Ukrainian family who have emigrated to U.K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 10:48 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
Just finished A game of thrones, part one of the A song of ice and fire novels. It was just great. Yesterday evening I started the second part A clash of kings.

Thanks for this recommendation!

Old 01-02-2008, 09:51 PM

8 posts, read 26,327 times
Currently, I'm reading Sabra and Shatila: September 1982 by Bayan Nuwayhed al-Hout. The book is, as suggested, about the massacre Lebanese Christian Militiamen, under supervision of Israel, committed over Palestinian Civilians and Lebanese Muslims in Palestinian Refugee Camps in Lebanon during the Lebanese Civil War. I only started reading yesterday and I am hooked.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:08 PM

151 posts, read 703,106 times
"Barefootin" by Unita Blackwell
"Communication 20 tips"

Old 02-24-2008, 04:29 PM

240 posts, read 1,284,484 times
A couple of days ago I started, Eat, Pray, Love, which was recommended by a 'guy' friend of mine. I'm almost done with it. It's a funny memoir, well written, entertaining, informative.

Previous to that I read, Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I loved it. It's one of those books I'll re-read at some point. I never made it through his One Hundred Years of Solitude so I wasn't too optimistic about Love/Cholera, but it was totally different, none of that magical-realism stuff.

I'm also re-reading Eckhart Tolle's A New Earth now, concurrently with Eat, Pray, Love.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:37 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,279,380 times
I just finished Laurel K.Hamilton's "Burnt Offerings" and I kept waiting for it to be over. It wasn't that great. Barely held my interest.

I am now finishing up "Survive the savage seas" by Dougal Robertson. A true story about a family from England shipwrecked at sea, they had to survive for 37 days out there, but lived to tell the tale. That is the most interesting book I've read in quite a long time.

My next book coming up is Mary Higgins Clark "I'll be seeing you." Should be good as all of her books are quite good.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:02 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,321,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I just finished Laurel K.Hamilton's "Burnt Offerings" and I kept waiting for it to be over. It wasn't that great. Barely held my interest.

I am now finishing up "Survive the savage seas" by Dougal Robertson. A true story about a family from England shipwrecked at sea, they had to survive for 37 days out there, but lived to tell the tale. That is the most interesting book I've read in quite a long time.

My next book coming up is Mary Higgins Clark "I'll be seeing you." Should be good as all of her books are quite good.
I really like Hamilton, maybe because the first of her books were set in an alternate St Louis, where I grew up. And it amuses me, thinking about what some of the citizens would think about her stories if they'd ever read any.

I'm reading purely escapist stuff now, the last one I can think of that I'd recommend is the Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson. Or The Traveller by John Twelve Hawks. I hope he hurries up and finishes the next installment.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:37 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,746 times
Default Still working on Boom!

I am still reading, and enjoying BOOM! by Tom Brokaw, but found myself walking by my bookcases, pulling things off the shelves, that I have been meaning, or wanting, to read. I've got quite a stack of authors and titles, and true to my tastes, quite eclectic!

For starters, there's. . .

Stephen King's Blaze and Duma Key. Fan of his, I owe it to him, you know.
Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth. Christmas present, and challenge to a friend to read it.
Eckhart Tolle's A New Earth. Ditto.
Ian McEwan's On Chesil Beach. Liked Atonement.
Paulo Coelho's The Witch of Portobello.
Jon Clinch's Finn.

I figure if My Maker can't, or won't, call me until I'm finished with all of my list, I'll be here a long, long time.

I've also got some projects going, like rereading some of Gregory Maguire's Wicked for comparison with its sequel, Son of a Witch, and having finished Margaret George's Autobiography of Henry VIII this Fall (and in anticipation of the new season of HBO's The Tudors) want to do some more reading along those lines. Some films of Charles II have intrigued me to possibly do some reading there, too.

You reckon I can take books into the afterlife?

Old 02-25-2008, 08:48 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,622,555 times
I just finished "Special Assignment" by Boris Akunin and am almost finished with "Dream Angus" by Alexander McCall Smith and "Previous Convictions" by AA Gill. All very different and all excellent.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:07 PM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
Just started part IV of A Song of Ice and Fire -- A feast for crows by George R.R. Martin. The last one took me pretty long b/c I don't have much time for reading lately. But this series is just great!!! I'm dreading the end of it and I'm glad the book has 800+ pages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books