Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2019, 09:02 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,704,131 times

Advertisements

I just finished J.D. Vance's Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis.

Vance combines an unabashed love of his cultural home with a deep look at its current status and an unflinching critique of its failings. He clearly puts himself within that culture and examines his own role in where it finds itself today, and despite the fact that he's 'escaped' - he's a Yale Law grad - he knows that the culture lives within him and welcomes it. Very heartfelt all around.

Not the most profound work, but a welcome one nonetheless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2019, 09:56 AM

249 posts, read 195,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
I just finished J.D. Vance's Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis...
I enjoyed that too, although I didn't think I would.

Old 07-07-2019, 10:47 AM

4,795 posts, read 2,797,961 times
Default Bump

The Fifth Risk, Michael Lewis. An excellent book, on how the federal government works for civilians, & how it does it. Others have covered it here, but it's well worth reading.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:01 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
My audio books are The Skeptics Guide to the Universe, by Cara Santa Maria, and I'm halfway through. I don't think I have really learned anything from it, but it's a good reminder on using critical thinking skills and staying skeptical of things I read, or see.

Also, on audio Everything I Never Told You, Celeste Ng. Usually I have trouble following fiction on audio but this one is easy listening. I'm about half way through and think there are some important lessons that will be shared by the end.

New library book is Everything Trump Touches Dies, by Rick Wilson. Just started it. I don't think it will be informative per se.... but it IS funny, and I will watch/listen to anything I find funny, even if I disagree with it. I like that is is written by a staunch Republican. Some of the insults are downright Shakespearean in composition.
Everything I Never Told You and Ng's second book, Little Fires Everywhere have been optioned for movies. Rick Wilson's book is highly entertaining. He's very insightful and funny on CNN.
I finished Miracle Creek by Angie Kim because her writing was compared to Celeste Ng. It was a compelling story with several well drawn characters. Ng’s books have fewer characters. The story revolves around autistic children, a form of treatment and a trial.
I think it was worth reading.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/01/b...angie-kim.html

Old 07-07-2019, 11:05 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse66 View Post
Just finished "March" by Geraldine Brooks https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13529.March

This was a 4 star read for me even though I had to soldier on reading in some war parts of it.

Of course, I always love the references to a love of books...

"I've always imagined paradise as something like a library. Now I know what it looks like."

"For to know a man's library is, in some measure, to know his mind. And this mind was noble in its reach, wide in its interests, discerning it its tastes."
Geraldine Brooks is one of my favorite authors. I’ve read all three of her recently published books. March and Year of Wonder are on my TBR list.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:29 AM

Default Take two & call me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Reading Bottle of Lies, about fraud in the generic drug industry. A really disturbing read.
Yes, absolutely. Required reading for anyone interested in prescription drugs in the World.

Bottle of lies : the inside story of the generic drug boom / Katherine Eban, c2019, HarperCollins Publishers, 615.1 EBAN.

Old 07-07-2019, 12:15 PM

Default By the pricking of my thumbs

Superbugs : the race to stop an epidemic / Matt McCarthy, c2019, Penguin Random House, 616.9041 MCCA.

Subjects
• Drug resistance in microorganisms.
• Antibiotics -- Research.
• Bacteria.

Summary
• "A New York Times bestselling author shares this exhilarating story of cutting-edge science and the race against the clock to find new treatments in the fight against the antibiotic-resistant bacteria known as superbugs"-- Provided by publisher.

Length
• 290 pages; photos, illustrations, chapter notes, index.

A scary science-fiction scenario that is playing out every day in hospitals across the world. History, how we got here, trends.

Old 07-07-2019, 01:59 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
The Fifth Risk, Michael Lewis. An excellent book, on how the federal government works for civilians, & how it does it. Others have covered it here, but it's well worth reading.
Can't recommend this book enough. He made government interesting to me, and I learned bunches.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-07-2019, 08:35 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
I just finished J.D. Vance's Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis.

Vance combines an unabashed love of his cultural home with a deep look at its current status and an unflinching critique of its failings. He clearly puts himself within that culture and examines his own role in where it finds itself today, and despite the fact that he's 'escaped' - he's a Yale Law grad - he knows that the culture lives within him and welcomes it. Very heartfelt all around.

Not the most profound work, but a welcome one nonetheless.
If you liked that, I also highly recommend Glass House and Janesville. White Trash is also excellent.

I started and finished Commander in Cheat in one day. It was a very fast read. Kind of snarky and fun, but I felt like I was reading The Star or some low-class journalism for the most part, with all the insults thrown in. (Not that they were undeserved, just not really needed.)

I started Other Minds, another one about octopuses, but I'm thinking I probably need to read one of my library books. I may read Hattiesburg, which I've now renewed a couple of times and is due at the end of the month.

Old 07-08-2019, 06:24 AM

829 posts, read 411,090 times
Has anyone else read this book?

I finished this one in 2 days flat...I can't understand the low reviews on Amazon, as I am giving it 5 Stars! The book is both wacky and at the same time brilliant!

"America Pacifica" by Anna North https://www.amazon.com/America-Pacif.../dp/0316105074

From the jacket:

As mesmerizing and brilliantly imagined novel, Anna North's "American Pacifica" shows a future world with uncanny similarities to our own, and what a young woman must do to survive in a forever altered landscape.

"Anna North's fluid prose moves this story along with considerable force and velocity. The language in "America Pacifica" seeps into you, word by word, drop by drop, until you are saturated in the details of this vivid and frightening world". - Charles Yu, author of How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe.

Couldn't agree more with this review, this book drew me in big time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books