Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2019, 07:31 AM

829 posts, read 411,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
I finished this book last week. I have never thought about what would happen if all bees died. What would happen with the world. Very interesting and also quite scary. However, I didn't like two of the main characters (William and Tao). I couldn't get warm when their stories were on. So only 3 out of 5 stars.

Weird is a great word for this kind of genre. I have read only the first volume of the Southern Reach Trilogy and didn't like it at all. I had the feeling I need to throw the book against a wall the whole time I was reading it.

Let us know how you liked it. I finished it in June and it was one of my rare 5 star books this year.

While on vacation in the Austrian Alps I got around to read some more. We definitely needed some time to relax after hiking

Vinegar Girl - Anne Tyler: 3 stars, okay but not overwhelming

The Sugar Queen - Sarah Addison Allen: 4 stars (very unexpected, it was solid three stars but it got better and better)

Look again - Lisa Scottoline: 3 stars, sad story but somehow predictable

This House is haunted - John Boyne: 3 stars

Started The Luminaries by Eleanor Cotton on Sunday and it seems a long time before I finish this one
OMG! 848 pages to The Luminaires! The book does sound intriguing. I will wait to hear your review of the book before I decide to take on the huge commitment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 08:38 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
I finished this book last week. I have never thought about what would happen if all bees died. What would happen with the world. Very interesting and also quite scary. However, I didn't like two of the main characters (William and Tao). I couldn't get warm when their stories were on. So only 3 out of 5 stars.

Weird is a great word for this kind of genre. I have read only the first volume of the Southern Reach Trilogy and didn't like it at all. I had the feeling I need to throw the book against a wall the whole time I was reading it.

Let us know how you liked it. I finished it in June and it was one of my rare 5 star books this year.

While on vacation in the Austrian Alps I got around to read some more. We definitely needed some time to relax after hiking

Vinegar Girl - Anne Tyler: 3 stars, okay but not overwhelming

The Sugar Queen - Sarah Addison Allen: 4 stars (very unexpected, it was solid three stars but it got better and better)

Look again - Lisa Scottoline: 3 stars, sad story but somehow predictable

This House is haunted - John Boyne: 3 stars

Started The Luminaries by Eleanor Cotton on Sunday and it seems a long time before I finish this one
Thanks for the reminder on The Luminaries. I started this book awhile ago then got distracted. I still liked it at 8%. It won the Mann Booker.

Old 07-23-2019, 11:42 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I just finished The Grand Tour, by Adam O'Fallon Price, a novel about an older man and a younger man on a road trip in the US, each seeking redemption. For those who liked The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving (I did, very much) this book is like having a pair of shoes you love, and buying them in a different color. The two books are so very similar.

The Grand Tour is much less positive and whimsical, though. I did enjoy it, but found some of it painful.

I had a number of friends who were Vietnam vets and while painful at times, I found Richard's behavior in the story very true to life.

Old 07-23-2019, 02:33 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,416,945 times
[quote=miguel's mom;55740959]I finished this book last week. I have never thought about what would happen if all bees died. What would happen with the world. Very interesting and also quite scary. However, I didn't like two of the main characters (William and Tao). I couldn't get warm when their stories were on. So only 3 out of 5 stars.

The Sugar Queen is now added to my list....
And, I finished Elevation (a very short book which works for me). I would say it's a 4 star.

I think I will now read the Happiness PRoject by Gretchen Rubin. Not sure where I heard of this book, maybe a while ago on these forums but it just came from the library available for kindle.

Old 07-24-2019, 06:35 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,114 times
I just finished The Last Time I Lied by Riley Sager and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Its tempting to read another of his books right now, but I know if I do I'll regret overdosing on his style so I'll wait a while and come back for more later. (Oh that I has so much restraint with chips and salsa...)

Now starting Everything I Ever Told You by Celeste Ng and One True Thing is on its way from Amazon. My work gets very busy next month so I want to get as much reading done as possible right now!

Old 07-24-2019, 05:31 PM

3,836 posts, read 1,783,960 times
I just finished another short read: The Victory Garden: A Novel by Rhys Bowen.

A World War I historical fiction filled with romance, war and jobs given to ladies during the war. I found the overall story to be okay, but really enjoyed learning about herbs, healing and their medicinal properties.

Last edited by Wintergirl80; 07-24-2019 at 06:14 PM..

Old 07-25-2019, 03:23 AM

443 posts, read 437,608 times
Picked up NOS4A2 by Joe Hill but it's slow going. One, because it's almost 800 pages and two, I'm on vacation. I'm about 150 pages in and so far, so good.

Old 07-25-2019, 04:07 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,140,435 times
i started Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and got to page 24 and put it down... for the count i'm afraid.

Old 07-25-2019, 12:38 PM

385 posts, read 205,634 times
I can't find The Gifted School so I picked up Ask Again, Yes by Mary Beth Keane. I really enjoyed this one. I find it interesting that I say my favorite genres are Thrillers, True Crime, and YA. But then my favorites are books are ones like this one. I also really loved The Great Alone, The Sisters Chase, and Panchinko.

Old 07-26-2019, 06:38 AM

829 posts, read 411,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
Her short story books (that I've read - two so far) are the only ones that I've seen with this format - there's a group of people in a certain area, and each story is about an individual from the group, with overlapping content. So far, Chestnut Street and The Lilac Bus follows this unique format. I like it!

Thanks for posting, I didn't even know "Chestnut Street" existed.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...hestnut-street

Just finished and I thoroughly enjoyed the book, this was a pure pleasure read! So sad that this was the last book we'll ever read by Maeve Binchy as she passed away in 2012. I loved all her books.

From the inside page:

The places Maeve created in her novels and stories--Knockglen, Castlebay, Mountfern, and so many others--became just as real for her readers as those of the real Ireland. In fact the Irish Tourist Board often had to explain to visitors that they couldn't actually get on a bus or train to go and see them.

Chestnut Street, too, is fictional, but the Dublin portrayed there is very real: a city changing over the years in ways that come vividly to life in these stories of its residents and their families.

Maeve wrote the stories over several decades, reflecting the city and people of the moment--always with the idea of one day making them into a collection with Chestnut Street as its center. I am very please with the way her editors have now gathered them together as she intended, to make this delightful new Maeve Bincy book "Chestnut Street".

Gordon Snell
Dalkey, Ireland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books