Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2019, 12:48 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,386,066 times

Advertisements

The Luminaries is very slow going. I don't understand how one can like the phrasing. It is very old/odd and I often have to backtrack an re-read several sentence because my mind keeps wandering.
It seems to be a nice story but (and I'm only 260 pages into the 800 plus) I believe it could have become better when the author had only used half the words... However, I don't want to stop reading because of the many good recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 05:55 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,622 posts, read 17,953,728 times
I'm about halfway through "All We Ever Wanted" by Emily Giffin.

If you enjoyed "The Dinner" by Herman Koch, you'll like this one too. They're very similar.

Very wealthy Nashville philanthropist couple, living a lovely life, about to send a son to Princeton, when he does something awful and puts all his future success in peril. How that ripples out to the family, and the victim, and those around them, and the grief/disappointment they suffer.

In The Dinner, the act that the teenage boy did was much, much worse - unthinkably worse - but in the case of All We Ever Wanted, it's something that you could imagine a normal young man doing in a moment of complete thoughtlessness.

Feels real, well-written. I'm interested to read how it ends.

Old 08-02-2019, 06:11 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Having read Master and Margarita by Bulgakov in the original Russian, now I am reading "Ugrum Reka" (approximate English translation "Sullen River") by Shiskov. Basic plot is a motley crew of anti-heroes drink, brawl, and screw their way across Siberia around 1905, set against the impending Red revolution.

But my Russian tutor has that beat - he has read the Bhagavad-Gita in the original Sanskrit!

Old 08-03-2019, 04:24 AM

3,836 posts, read 1,784,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
it's tough sometimes starting a book. kind of like watching a movie; you don't know if it's one in i don't know how many that you will walk out on.

^ this one is good. page turner. i just got on the list for half a dozen of his kindle books, and borrowed / downloaded two more. great non-fiction...
Thanks for the recommendation. Will put a hold for it at the library.

Old 08-03-2019, 04:54 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,405,904 times
The Outsider by Stephen King

Old 08-03-2019, 07:42 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Having read Master and Margarita by Bulgakov in the original Russian, now I am reading "Ugrum Reka" (approximate English translation "Sullen River") by Shiskov. Basic plot is a motley crew of anti-heroes drink, brawl, and screw their way across Siberia around 1905, set against the impending Red revolution.

But my Russian tutor has that beat - he has read the Bhagavad-Gita in the original Sanskrit!
I read the Master and Margarita. The mini series, A Young Doctor's Notebook was very good.

Old 08-03-2019, 11:52 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
I'm giving up on Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng. In the opening chapter a young girl dies. I'll never know what happened to her and I don't care.

Each time I posted about this book I had to look up the title. That should have been a clue that I was just not into this book.

Old 08-03-2019, 12:41 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I'm giving up on Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng. In the opening chapter a young girl dies. I'll never know what happened to her and I don't care.

Each time I posted about this book I had to look up the title. That should have been a clue that I was just not into this book.

I liked it, and thought the underlying message was well done. But plenty of popular books I couldn't get through either.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-03-2019, 05:13 PM

3,836 posts, read 1,784,958 times
finished "The girl left behind: A Novel" by Roxanne Veletzos

This was a really well written novel. Read it quickly and enjoyed the story. To clarify this book was inspired by the authors true family of survival during WWII.
I'd give it 4 stars, but still had questions after reading that weren't addressed, even in the epilogue.

Old 08-03-2019, 07:21 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm about halfway through "All We Ever Wanted" by Emily Giffin.

If you enjoyed "The Dinner" by Herman Koch, you'll like this one too. They're very similar.

Very wealthy Nashville philanthropist couple, living a lovely life, about to send a son to Princeton, when he does something awful and puts all his future success in peril. How that ripples out to the family, and the victim, and those around them, and the grief/disappointment they suffer.

In The Dinner, the act that the teenage boy did was much, much worse - unthinkably worse - but in the case of All We Ever Wanted, it's something that you could imagine a normal young man doing in a moment of complete thoughtlessness.

Feels real, well-written. I'm interested to read how it ends.
I wasn't at all happy with the ending of "All We Ever Wanted". Just seemed like the writer had to quickly put an ending to the story and tie up loose ends. It was very disappointing to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books