Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2019, 10:17 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times

Advertisements

More about One True Thing and then I promise, I'll stop.

I just went to Goodreads to update my book list and stopped to read a bunch of reviews on this book. Most of them spoke of the same issues that I would have mentioned if I were the sort of person who could put together a thoughtful book review for Goodreads. Lots of discussion of mother/daughter relationships, responsibilities of daughters or mothers to care for families, death and dying and empathy and strength...

There were very, very few reviews that touched upon two of the most arrogant, hurtful, selfishly cruel characters that I have read about in a long time (George/Papa and Jonathan). It's interesting that their negativity isn't really featured in many reivews. Is it because mostly women read and reviewed this book? And because we might have a higher tolerance for that type of behavior in the face of so many other emotional distractions that take priority?

I wish my old book club was still around to read and discuss this book. Clearly it is stuck in my head.

Going to read some short stories now to clear some brain space for my next book!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 10:53 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
More about One True Thing and then I promise, I'll stop.

I just went to Goodreads to update my book list and stopped to read a bunch of reviews on this book. Most of them spoke of the same issues that I would have mentioned if I were the sort of person who could put together a thoughtful book review for Goodreads. Lots of discussion of mother/daughter relationships, responsibilities of daughters or mothers to care for families, death and dying and empathy and strength...

There were very, very few reviews that touched upon two of the most arrogant, hurtful, selfishly cruel characters that I have read about in a long time (George/Papa and Jonathan). It's interesting that their negativity isn't really featured in many reivews. Is it because mostly women read and reviewed this book? And because we might have a higher tolerance for that type of behavior in the face of so many other emotional distractions that take priority?

I wish my old book club was still around to read and discuss this book. Clearly it is stuck in my head.

Going to read some short stories now to clear some brain space for my next book!
I read it when it first came out in 1996-1997, so I remember nothing except the general subject and that I absolutely loved it. It has stuck with me this long, so much so that I recommended it here a week or so ago. That says a lot.

I find your review of it fascinating. I might end up re-reading it one day.

In that same post where I recommended it, I also mentioned Talk Before Sleep, which has stuck with me since 1994-1995. (I wonder if I have dementia; I remember things from 25 years ago but I don't remember what I went to Home Depot for this morning.) I think that you'd enjoy this one too.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:27 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I read it when it first came out in 1996-1997, so I remember nothing except the general subject and that I absolutely loved it. It has stuck with me this long, so much so that I recommended it here a week or so ago. That says a lot.

In that same post where I recommended it, I also mentioned Talk Before Sleep, which has stuck with me since 1994-1995. (I wonder if I have dementia; I remember things from 25 years ago but I don't remember what I went to Home Depot for this morning.) I think that you'd enjoy this one too.

No you don't have dementia because I have the same thing I can remember 25 yrs back and then forget what I did yesterday no it is just something you do because that 25 yr ago memory was significant to you not the home depot run , I used to read physcology books about memory and this is a couple of drs theory that the memory was important not home depot memory . I hope that makes sense .

Old 08-09-2019, 06:32 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post

Thank you, Dawn! I have added Talk Before Sleep to my TBR list. I'm going to read a little fluff (or as fluffy as I can tolerate) first, then dig in!

Old 08-09-2019, 10:50 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Parade of audio books continues... currently trying Passing Judgement, and apparently it's not working because I'm "judging" that I won't finish it..... and I probably should.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-10-2019, 08:30 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,797,961 times
Default Things that go bump

Nightflyers / George R.R. Martin, c1980 Bantam.

Subjects
Space ships -- Fiction.
Murder -- Fiction.

Summary

"Aliens meets Psycho with a chilling mystery set on a haunted spaceship in this illustrated edition of a classic novella, soon to be an original series on SYFY, by the #1 bestselling author of A Game of Thrones. When a scientific expedition is launched to study an alien race, the only ship available is the Nightflyer--a mysterious ship whose equally mysterious captain remains locked away, refusing to interact with his new passengers in person. Worse, the mission's telepath, Melantha Jhirl, senses a presence aboard the ship: dangerous, volatile, and alien. And then, one by one, the passengers start dying. Only Melantha--genetically enhanced and able to think three steps ahead of most of humanity--has a chance of figuring out the mystery...if she can stay alive long enough"-- Provided by publisher.

Length
193 pages :

The basis for the series - very different in details & tone from the series. An interesting read.

Old 08-10-2019, 08:38 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,797,961 times
Default It's the end of the world as we know it

River of night / John Ringo, Mike Massa, c2018, Baen Publishing.

Subjects
Zombies -- Fiction.
Survival -- Fiction.
Virginia -- Fiction.

Summary
"A NEW NOVEL IN JOHN RINGO'S BESTSELLING BLACK TIDE RISING SERIES. Sequel to The Valley of Shadows.

Series
Black tide rising ; 7

Length
362 pages : maps, drawings

A zombie apocalypse series. Good military & logistics backgrounds. Interesting story arc.

Old 08-10-2019, 12:50 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,139,402 times
Starting the Kate Shackleton series.

Old 08-11-2019, 04:25 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Well the second time was the charm-I finished Teagirl of Hummingbird Lane. It was a decent read, and interesting background of China and tea in general. I would say it was a 3 star maybe 3.5 star read. Worthwhile but not one I will be raving about. I am not sure what I will read next. I have a lot coming up on my reserves at the library and while I try to pace them by suspending the holds I think they are all coming up soon.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:32 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,055,958 times
I, too, am reading One True Thing and loving it. Last night the dog got me up at 3AM so going back to sleep was difficult. Guess what I did? I will probably finish it today. This is a GREAT writer !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books