Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2019, 01:28 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times

Advertisements

Ovidia Yu's "Colonial Crime" series, set in Singapore in the 1930. I like the setting and the characters and read for atmosphere - because the "mystery" in each book is pretty obvious.
The books are:
The Frangipani Tree
The Betel Nut Tree
The Paperbark Tree

She has another series set in Singapore that I will probably read next, which is labeled a "cozy" style mystery, about caterer "Aunty Lee". Pretty sure the setting on this one is modern.
Aunty Lee's Delights
Aunty Lee's Deadly Specials
Aunty Lee's Chilled Revenge
Meddling and Murder: An Aunty Lee Mystery
City-Data Terms of Service: https://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 02:07 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,622 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
Thanks to some of you I have now a new shelf on goodreads: not worth finishing.

Finially I decided to stop reading:
Love in the time of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

The Luminaries - Eleanor Catton

You are right, time's too short to read boring books and it took me quite some time to understand. I've struggled through many many books that I should have stopped reading.

Now I'm into A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry which is very interesting. I haven't read many books about India's caste system yet and the details leave me a bit speechless. I believe that I will finish this book.
A Fine Balance has stuck with me for years. Unforgettable.

And it changed my life. Now, whenever I'm in the grocery store (several times a week) I feel privileged and lucky. I can buy absolutely anything I want, and prepare any food I desire to feed my family. It's no longer a chore.

Old 08-13-2019, 04:13 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Savoring the last dozen pages of The Possible World by Liese O'halloran Schwarz. This is my second very, very good book in a row!
Just finished up The Possible World and enjoyed it very much although I wish the ending had been a little more fleshed out. Thanks to whoever recommended it (I'm too lazy to scroll back and see who it was.)

Starting The Ditch, by Herman Koch. I know it's only received middlin' reviews, but it came through at the library.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:51 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,799,413 times
Default What did you do during the war ...

The bastard brigade : the true story of the renegade scientists and spies who sabotaged the Nazi atomic bomb / Sam Kean, c2019, Little Brown & Co., 355.8251 KEAN.

Subjects
• United States. -- War Department. -- Alsos Mission.
• World War, 1939-1945 -- Science.
• Atomic bomb -- Germany -- History -- 20th century.
• Nuclear physics -- Research -- Germany.
• Science -- Germany -- History -- 20th century.

Summary
• Traces the story of a renegade group of soldiers, scientists, and spies who were sent into Axis territory to spy on and sabotage Germany's nuclear weapons research and prevent Hitler from obtaining a nuclear bomb.

Length
• xii, 447 pages, 24 unnumbered pages of plates : photos, diagrams, list of characters, sources, index.

Graceful writing on an obscure issue in WWII – the US attempt to strangle the German atomic effort. It turns out that Brig. Gen. Groves @ Los Alamos had a very long reach. A concise history of atomic fission, excellent diagrams explaining the physics.

Old 08-14-2019, 06:10 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I've got New Girl on hold, too.

I have yet to be disappointed by one of his books in the Gabriel Allon series.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:52 PM

3,836 posts, read 1,784,958 times
Just finished "The Secret Orphan" Glynis Peters

How did this book make it past editing? Sentence structure was strange, missing words, sentences made no sense at times. Characters completely changed in between chapters, overall a big no.

Old 08-16-2019, 03:08 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times
After the Plague, T. S. Boye 2001.

Old 08-16-2019, 03:45 AM

4,692 posts, read 1,164,859 times

Old 08-16-2019, 05:04 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
I read Motherland: A Memoir of Love, Loathing, and Longing by Elissa Altman. I've read and loved her other memoirs (Treyf and Poor Man's Feast). Many parts of Motherland were a re-hash from her earlier work, although she dug deeper about her mother this time. I found it a bit choppy, going back and forth in time, but I read it in fits and starts so that complaint might be more about my reading than about her writing.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:34 AM

829 posts, read 411,855 times
Just finished "The Fifth Avenue Artists Society" by Joy Callaway https://www.amazon.com/Fifth-Avenue-.../dp/0062391615

This was a 4 star read for me. I enjoyed the story, including the Epilogue, the Author's Note, and yes, the Acknowledgments.

A delightful historical fiction read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books