Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2019, 08:14 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times

Advertisements

President Obama's Summer 2019 Reading List. Highly recommend The Nickel Boys and anything by Colson Whitehead.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2019/8/1...r-reading-list
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 01:56 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times
Just starting Loving Frank and not sure what I think of it yet. At first it was work, but now at about 15% it seems to be flowing better. Hopefully it continues!
Editing to add, that Fifth Avenue Artists Society looks interesting.

Old 08-16-2019, 03:52 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,777,621 times
I just got Loving Frank (found it at an estate sale today) and was debating whether to start it this afternoon. I think I'll wait to hear what you think of it as you go along. I have Edward Rutherfurd's Russka calling my name so I'll go there first. Let us know how it goes with Loving Frank.

Old 08-16-2019, 04:04 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Just starting Loving Frank and not sure what I think of it yet. At first it was work, but now at about 15% it seems to be flowing better. Hopefully it continues!
Editing to add, that Fifth Avenue Artists Society looks interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
I just got Loving Frank (found it at an estate sale today) and was debating whether to start it this afternoon. I think I'll wait to hear what you think of it as you go along. I have Edward Rutherfurd's Russka calling my name so I'll go there first. Let us know how it goes with Loving Frank.
In case a THIRD person is debating Loving Frank -- and in case my opinion matters -- I absolutely LOVED this book. (I told Mayvenne and movinon separately from this post. )

Old 08-16-2019, 05:21 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
In case a THIRD person is debating Loving Frank -- and in case my opinion matters -- I absolutely LOVED this book. (I told Mayvenne and movinon separately from this post. )
I agree with Dawn. I thought it was a wonderful book.

Old 08-16-2019, 05:42 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,777,621 times
Loving Loving Frank!

I couldn't resist! I can't put it down - in fact I think it's going to be one of those nights when I stay up reading until all hours.

Thank you all for the encouragement. I have to stop typing and get back to it - how will I ever stop reading long enough to cook dinner?

Old 08-16-2019, 06:19 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Loving Loving Frank!

I couldn't resist! I can't put it down - in fact I think it's going to be one of those nights when I stay up reading until all hours.

Thank you all for the encouragement. I have to stop typing and get back to it - how will I ever stop reading long enough to cook dinner?
Loving your enthusiasm!

Have a great dinner (when you get to it) and a fabulous weekend.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:32 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
Quote:
Loving Loving Frank!

Add me to the list of Loving Frank lovers!

I toured a FLW home in Mason City, IA this summer and the docent was impressed with my FLW knowledge and said she could tell I had read Loving Frank. That said, I learned way more from her than from the book!

Old 08-16-2019, 10:44 PM

3,836 posts, read 1,783,960 times
Kristen Harmel just released a new book Tuesday so tonight I am going to curl up and begin it. I discovered her books this past Christmas and since have read all of the ones related to WWII. Her new book is "The Winemaker's Wife".

Old 08-17-2019, 12:59 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Michelle Obama's Becoming. Someone recommended it to me and it's very good. Beautifully written and a lot of insight into how stressful and confusing it can be to want to be a perfect mom and have a perfect family when your husband's job keeps him away a lot. She was raised in a close knit family; he was raised by his grandparents and only saw his father once in his entire life.

So they have different ideas of family. He is definitely a family man, loves kids, but he also has a strong commitment to being out there helping the country, trying to make things better. She tries not to resent it. Right now they're in couples therapy!

It's a pleasant book and I read a chapter or two at bedtime. It's that kind of book, just relaxes you although it does make you think too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books