Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2019, 04:46 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times

Advertisements

I just finished I'll Have What She's Having by Rebecca Harrington. Author tries all the celebrity diets and makes jokes. It was light, fluffy and short. It was a good way to pass the time while doing stuff.

I'm on Living with a SEAL by Jesse Itzler. Author hires a Navy SEAL to live with him for 30 days to get him in better shape, and makes jokes. I give this one a 50/50 chance.

In book form I started Bad Advice (or why celebrities, politicians and activists aren't your best source of health information), by Paul Offit MD (one of my faves).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2019, 05:20 PM

130,170 posts, read 12,088,000 times
The Kite runner by Khaled Hosseini (book club pick)

Old 08-18-2019, 12:28 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times
An amazing author protagonist link. Pages are turning.

Old 08-18-2019, 07:10 AM

829 posts, read 411,855 times
Just selected this one off the library shelf because of the title and thought it sounded interesting...

"The Book That Matters Most" by Ann Hood https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...t-matters-most

This was a 2 star read for me and should have given up on it when I just wasn't feeling it.

Old 08-18-2019, 08:07 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse66 View Post
Just selected this one off the library shelf because of the title and thought it sounded interesting...

"The Book That Matters Most" by Ann Hood https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...t-matters-most

This was a 2 star read for me and should have given up on it when I just wasn't feeling it.
Yep - I remember that one. And not for good reasons.

Old 08-18-2019, 10:51 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times
The Conquest of Gaul by Julius Caesar, translated by F.P. Long

Old 08-18-2019, 04:36 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,015 times
Finished up The Ditch, and I gave it 3 stars on goodreads. I enjoyed reading it, but at the end, I didn't quite get it. I was hoping for something a little more.

Oh well.

Onto Shortest Way Home by Pete Buttigeig.

Old 08-18-2019, 05:28 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Things I know:
1. I do best with books that have fewer than 300 pages. I get bored quickly.
2. My new rule was to tell you only once I *finish* a book. I bail on books quickly.

But:
1. I just started The Executioner's Song by Norman Mailer. It's 1,074 pages.
2. You'd think that I was dead. See ya in mid-2021!

Old 08-19-2019, 05:24 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Things I know:
1. I do best with books that have fewer than 300 pages. I get bored quickly.
2. My new rule was to tell you only once I *finish* a book. I bail on books quickly.

But:
1. I just started The Executioner's Song by Norman Mailer. It's 1,074 pages.
2. You'd think that I was dead. See ya in mid-2021!
Wholeheartedly agree! I was at book club yesterday and we were sharing different books for recommendations. I said the same thing- that those books under 300 or 350 pages that are good, get extra bonus points from me as well. I can totally relate.

I read [b]Executioner's Song[/B years ago, and remember liking it a lot. Not a pleasant story at all, but it was captivating. Not to offend anyone, as I barely remember it except that I liked it, but from that book I could never understand the popularity of the name Nicole. That name became more and more popular after I read the book and it was always an association that stuck in my brain. (At this point, I am not even certain who it was but I think it was his girlfriend??). Anyway that's my recollection. A very good book! You can do it Dawn!!!

Old 08-19-2019, 05:44 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Wholeheartedly agree! I was at book club yesterday and we were sharing different books for recommendations. I said the same thing- that those books under 300 or 350 pages that are good, get extra bonus points from me as well. I can totally relate.

I read [b]Executioner's Song[/B years ago, and remember liking it a lot. Not a pleasant story at all, but it was captivating. Not to offend anyone, as I barely remember it except that I liked it, but from that book I could never understand the popularity of the name Nicole. That name became more and more popular after I read the book and it was always an association that stuck in my brain. (At this point, I am not even certain who it was but I think it was his girlfriend??). Anyway that's my recollection. A very good book! You can do it Dawn!!!
I'm at 6% now. Hahahaha! Thanks for the vote of confidence!

The writing is... I don't know. It's no In Cold Blood (Truman Capote), that's for sure. Maybe it gets better. I'm staying with it for the story.

I read a skimmed a few reviews before I started and, yes, Nicole was his girlfriend. How he got a girlfriend is beyond me. I just got to the page where he meets her.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 08-19-2019 at 05:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books