Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2019, 06:46 AM

831 posts, read 412,347 times

Advertisements

Someone mentioned "Elevation" by Stephen King on here https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/38355410-elevation

I picked it up because it was mentioned that it was very short (146 pages) plus it was in large print to boot.

This was a 1 star read for me. Definitely did not float my boat.

Ok, onto Anita Shreve with high hopes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 08:16 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,420,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse66 View Post
Someone mentioned "Elevation" by Stephen King on here https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/38355410-elevation

I picked it up because it was mentioned that it was very short (146 pages) plus it was in large print to boot.

This was a 1 star read for me. Definitely did not float my boat.

Ok, onto Anita Shreve with high hopes.
Haha. I should go get on with the day but just checked in once more.
That might have been me (see above hahahha) because I did read it recently and it was actually my first by him. I thought it was pretty good (and so nice to complete something so quickly).

For me I am sticking withLoving Frank and making great progress. I need to get my car inspected and will be waiting, so hopefully will finish it tomorrow or the next day.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:05 AM

831 posts, read 412,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Haha. I should go get on with the day but just checked in once more.
That might have been me (see above hahahha) because I did read it recently and it was actually my first by him. I thought it was pretty good (and so nice to complete something so quickly).

For me I am sticking withLoving Frank and making great progress. I need to get my car inspected and will be waiting, so hopefully will finish it tomorrow or the next day.
haha, the joke was on me, at least it didn't take up a lot of my time so I tried it, haven't read anything by him before either so thought I would try it out! Like I said before, I always say "FOR ME" when I give my ratings. We all have our opinions and there is nothing wrong with that. Enjoy your reading time and report back on the book

Old 08-19-2019, 10:26 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Finished up The Ditch, and I gave it 3 stars on goodreads. I enjoyed reading it, but at the end, I didn't quite get it. I was hoping for something a little more.

Oh well.

Onto Shortest Way Home by Pete Buttigeig.

I too, was a little confused at the ending.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-20-2019, 07:54 AM

2,445 posts, read 1,218,042 times
Murder in the Wind by John D McDonald. Master at developing characters.

Old 08-21-2019, 05:19 AM

27 posts, read 13,664 times
Humans: A brief history of how we F*cked it all up. So far I love, the author brings up big ****ups in human history through a comedy

Old 08-21-2019, 08:48 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'm at 6% now. Hahahaha! Thanks for the vote of confidence!

The writing is... I don't know. It's no In Cold Blood (Truman Capote), that's for sure. Maybe it gets better. I'm staying with it for the story.

I read a skimmed a few reviews before I started and, yes, Nicole was his girlfriend. How he got a girlfriend is beyond me. I just got to the page where he meets her.
Funny you should say that! I just picked up In Cold Blood for the first time yesterday, and wow, the writing. You can't skim like you can so many books to get the "gist".

Old 08-21-2019, 08:59 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Funny you should say that! I just picked up In Cold Blood for the first time yesterday, and wow, the writing. You can't skim like you can so many books to get the "gist".
THAT book is fabulous! Absolutely exceptional.

The Executioner's Song finished its last notes for me at 9%. I just couldn't. I realize that Mailer was likely writing the way that the "characters" were likely thinking but it just wasn't working for me. And it's too damn long.

I'm going back to my rules: shorter books; tell ya when/if I finish.

Enjoy In Cold Blood, Clara! SUCH a fine piece of writing.

Old 08-21-2019, 05:26 PM

4,725 posts, read 4,420,706 times
Oh well, I read Executioner's Song way way back around when it was first published. Not sure I would have it in me to read it today-
I did finish Loving Frank- what a story! Now I have to get busy and google all about him. I honestly knew nothing about him other than he was a famous architect.
Not sure what I am going to read next. I have a few books on kindle reserve from the library and I just know if I start something else, they will be ready. So going to wait a day or two and may just start Crazy Rich Asians. I didn't see the movie, but it sounds like something light and easy to get into. will keep you posted.

Old 08-21-2019, 10:32 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,779,656 times
I didn't know much about Frank Lloyd Wright's work and had only seen one building that he designed - the government offices in Marin County. I just thought the building/s were strange and not my cup of tea. I saw them many years ago before I became "enlightened" and more broad minded about architecture. So today I spent some time looking at photos of buildings he'd designed. It was really interesting to see how his work evolved over the years. It will be time well spent so dig in!

I'm about 3/4 of the way through Loving Frank and decided I needed to have a better mental picture of his work. I'm glad I did. I, too, will read something light and frothy next so I can clear my brain before the next thought-provoking book, whatever that's going to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books