Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2019, 07:27 AM

829 posts, read 411,855 times

Advertisements

Just finished "The Last Time They Met" by Anita Shreve https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/..._Time_They_Met

This was a 4 star read for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2019, 11:12 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,160,449 times
A Gentleman In Moscow - a really great book about a Russian aristocrat sentenced to life in a luxury hotel. He actually had a luxurious room in the Hotel Metropole and they moved him to the attic where he lives for over 30 years, but he made friends and family out of the hotel staff. I don't want the book to end.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:11 AM

829 posts, read 411,855 times
Just finished "The River King" by Alice Hoffman https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...The_River_King

The was a 5 star read for me, as always, superb writing from Alice Hoffman.

Old 08-25-2019, 02:26 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
A Gentleman In Moscow - a really great book about a Russian aristocrat sentenced to life in a luxury hotel. He actually had a luxurious room in the Hotel Metropole and they moved him to the attic where he lives for over 30 years, but he made friends and family out of the hotel staff. I don't want the book to end.
I loved this one! I think I'd like to read it again as with decades going by and characters coming and going (and, I won't like - confusion with all of the Russian names), I think I missed some of the subtleties.

Old 08-25-2019, 02:36 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
I started The Lawgiver by Herman Wouk this morning and might finish it by nightfall.

Apparently, Wouk always wanted to write a book about Moses, but as he got on in years, never got it done. So, instead, in his mid 90s (!), he writes this epistolary style book about a movie director, screen writer, a wealthy financier, and yes - and himself (and his wife) and their fictional emails, texts, letters as they negotiate the process of producing an epic Moses film. Of course there are twists and turns and humor and depth and lots of tongues in lots of cheeks.

I saw a review that said this one was only for Wouk fans. I am definitely that!

Old 08-25-2019, 04:21 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Default Bernie Gunther

If you haven't read any of the (now fourteen) books in the series by Philip Kerr
then his last and latest book "Metropolis" is a pretty good place to start.
Afterward you can go back to the beginning and read the other thirteen.

Beyond the rather good whodunit aspect of the stories the books are history lessons.

Quote:
Berlin, 1928 the dying days of the Weimar Republic shortly before Hitler and the Nazis came to power.
It was a period of decadence and excess as Berliners - after the terrible slaughter of WWI
and the hardships that followed are enjoying their own version of Babylon.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/39801556-metropolis

Old 08-25-2019, 04:45 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Rules of Civility Towle's first book ia also a great read.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:08 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,799,413 times
Default For that which we are about to receive, oh Lord

Sharpe's tiger : Richard Sharpe and the Siege of Seringapatam, 1799 / Bernard Cornwell, c1999.

Subjects
Sharpe, Richard (Fictitious character) -- Fiction.
Sieges -- Fiction.
Historical fiction.
Great Britain -- History, Military -- 18th century -- Fiction.
Śrīraṅgapaṭṭaṇa (India) -- History -- Siege, 1799 -- Fiction.
India -- History -- Mysore War, 1799 -- Fiction.

Length - 385 pages ; map

&

Sharpe's triumph : Richard Sharpe and the Battle of Assaye, September 1803 / Bernard Cornwell, c1998.

Subjects
Sharpe, Richard (Fictitious character) -- Fiction.
Maratha War, 1803 -- Fiction.
Historical fiction.
Great Britain -- History, Military -- 19th century -- Fiction.

Length - 291 pages : map

Marching through the set, in chronological order. Our library also has the excellent DVDs of the British TV adaptations. Sean Bean does an outstanding job. I don't remember reading the entire set before - a lovely campaign.

Old 08-26-2019, 04:45 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
Finished up Pete Buttigeig's memoir, which was very good, especially for a political memoir. I like him even more now.

About to start Winners Take All by Anand Giridharadas for book club.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:20 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Finished up Pete Buttigeig's memoir, which was very good, especially for a political memoir. I like him even more now.

About to start Winners Take All by Anand Giridharadas for book club.
Pete is still my favorite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books