Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2019, 03:30 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,406 times

Advertisements

Just finished Love You Hard by Abby Maslin. This is the memoir of a woman whose husband was assaulted and left for dead, and their experience with his traumatic brain injury. It was a riveting read that I finished quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2019, 04:51 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Just finished Love You Hard by Abby Maslin. This is the memoir of a woman whose husband was assaulted and left for dead, and their experience with his traumatic brain injury. It was a riveting read that I finished quickly.
I have that book but haven't read it. Thanks for the push. Memoir is my favorite genre.

Old 08-31-2019, 07:09 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times
I thought someone on this forum had recommended The Reckless Oath We Made by Bryn Greenwood. I can't find it here, though.

Anyway, I'm about 1/10 of the way into it, and really enjoying it.

Old 08-31-2019, 07:20 PM

3,524 posts, read 3,729,770 times
Books that I finished recently:

"Cujo: The Untold Story of My Life On and Off the Ice" by Curtis Joseph, a retired hockey goalie. I never knew it during his career, but he has had an interesting life, from being adopted, growing up in and around group homes, rising to success in the NHL, having seven kids and later marrying a former Playboy Playmate; she would be the person who encouraged him to tell his story.

"Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future," a biography on Elon Musk by Ashlee Vance. Through his own research and many interviews with Musk, Vance describes Elon's tough upbringing that included a strict father and bullying from school mates in South Africa. After Musk's move to the States, he pursues further education in engineering, which he would parlay into being a start-up entrepreneur of tech companies Zip2 and PayPal, later moving on and developing into a hard-fisted businessman and CEO of SpaceX and Telsa Motors. Musk has a vision for the future of humanity, such as pre-Falcon Heavy space projects at the time the book was written, to the eccentric billionaire's dream of colonizing Mars. If you want to speak Musk's language, be prepared to break everything down the physics of things. Musk is either the Tony Stark of our day, or a very good salesman.

Audiobooks:

I am just now trying out some audiobooks. I finished roughing it through a version of "The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin," long considered a book of importance. The older style of English was a bit of a chore, but there were some gems in there, including:
  • Franklin's take on vanity being of benefit to him.
  • His founding of some of earliest forms of formal education in the nation (University of Pennsylvania, Library Company of Philadelphia).
  • His setting up the earliest formations of what would become established fire departments.
  • His ideas for street irrigation to help reduce mud buildup that would later, well, muddy up homes as people would enter them. Perhaps a minor item, but it was one I found interesting about the times in which he lived. The mud would be splashed on passersby from horse carriages. He would also come up with a redesign for street lamps to reduce soot and make them easier to clean, improving lighting.
  • The newspaper ownership that would make him wealthy.
  • And how he was sued a number of times and almost lost it all.
  • Oh, and the topics of politics, religion and war are present as well.
While not an immediate listen, I started the audiobook "Last Chance to See" by Douglas Adams of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" fame. I have previously read neither of these works. I chose this one by random after I was finished with "Autobiography."

Currently reading:

I am tackling two at the same time, Cervantes's "Don Quixote," a book that I remember as being well-written and humorous, but never finished, and "Welcome to Utopia: Notes from a Small Town" by Karen Valby, a book about an Entertainment Weekly reporter assigned a task by her editor to find a town that has been relatively untouched by popular culture and the outside world. She tells the story of Utopia through the lives of its real-life residents, whether that be retired store owners, hairdressers, waitresses, U.S. Army personnel and the like. Being 21 percent of the way through "Utopia," it is serving as a primer before I get too deep into "Quixote," which is over one thousand pages of adventure. But I am going to finish it this time, rest assured.

Last edited by Free-R; 08-31-2019 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: UPenn title correction

Old 09-01-2019, 06:38 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,414,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-R View Post
Books that I finished recently:

[

I am tackling two at the same time, Cervantes's "Don Quixote," a book that I remember as being well-written and humorous, but never finished, and "Welcome to Utopia: Notes from a Small Town" by Karen Valby, a book about an Entertainment Weekly reporter assigned a task by her editor to find a town that has been relatively untouched by popular culture and the outside world. She tells the story of Utopia through the lives of its real-life residents, whether that be retired store owners, hairdressers, waitresses, U.S. Army personnel and the like. Being 21 percent of the way through "Utopia," it is serving as a primer before I get too deep into "Quixote," which is over one thousand pages of adventure. But I am going to finish it this time, rest assured.
Well that Utopia books sounds intriguing. (I tried Don Quixote but just couldn't . I am going to try that again).

Old 09-01-2019, 06:46 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
I agree! Welcome to Utopia sounds good. I just added it to my "to read" list.

I started Love You Hard by Abby Maslin but wasn't enjoying the writing, so I broke up with it and started a different memoir: The Rules of Inheritance by Claire Bidwell Smith. That one's working better for me.

Old 09-01-2019, 09:06 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,200 times
I have read three very good books in a row which probably means that I'm set up for an upcoming run of duds.

As an attempt to ward off disappointment, I've decided to re-read a collection of medically focused essays called Complications by Atul Gawande. In this collection, Dr. Gawande, looks at the concept (myth) of medical infallibility using intriguing examples that really made me think about how complex patients and healthcare and the intersection of those can be.

Old 09-01-2019, 12:53 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,358,694 times
I just finished Loving Frank. I'd like to say Thank You to everyone who praised and recommended it. A good read and it taught me a bit of history I'd never heard of.

Old 09-01-2019, 01:37 PM

2,527 posts, read 2,775,193 times
I'm so glad you liked it. I learned a lot, too. I knew so little about Frank Lloyd Wright beyond the obvious and didn't know a thing about his personal life. Quite the story.

On another note . . . regarding Don Quixote as mentioned above . . I read Volume 1 as a stand-alone then went back and read Volume 2 later on as though it were a sequel. Much as I loved it, after finishing Volume 1 I needed a breather. I read something completely different during the hiatus and was ready to continue jousting at windmills with a fresh mind.

I have read that there are a number of translations out there, some better than others. The one which I have is by Burton Raffel whose version has been acclaimed for its accuracy and dedication to translating the original Spanish with all its subtle nuances. I found it extremely readable and I never bogged down which I can't say about translations I've read of other books. But I don't have another version of Don Quixote with which to compare so there's that. I'll read it again some day - I liked it that much.

Old 09-01-2019, 03:40 PM

108 posts, read 42,021 times
Team of Vipers by Cliff Sims
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books