Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2019, 05:25 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I have The Hotel Neversink on hold.
Have you read The Grand Tour by him? It's a must-read, really. SO well written.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 05:56 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I read The Grand Tour. Although I liked it a lot, it was very painful.

Getting the Hotel Neversink.

Old 09-07-2019, 06:00 PM

3,838 posts, read 1,787,299 times
I haven't begun "The Paris Orphan" yet because a library hold came in. So instead I read "In Another Time" by Jillian Cantor and it was really good. Love story, before and after WWII. There is also a clever plot that hasn't been done before, enjoyable read overall.

Old 09-07-2019, 06:22 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,256,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
No. I just checked and realized I recommended it both my libraries.

Old 09-07-2019, 06:26 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
No. I just checked and realized I recommended it both my libraries.
I'm just 10% or so in on The Hotel Neversink so I'm reserving judgment for a while, but I'm glad that you recommended The Grand Tour.

Check your DMs in a minute...

Old 09-07-2019, 06:31 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
The books I am enjoying currently are:
My name is Memory
Lucifer's Hammer(an oldie but a goodie end of the world theme)
Trading Up
The Terror

Old 09-08-2019, 04:01 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
Someone is waiting for The Grand Tour, by Adam O'Fallon Price (2016), so I started it the other day - good so far. I don't like to keep people waiting, so I read the books I have checked out that have zero renewals (someone waiting for it) first.

I put down David McCullough's The Pioneers for now. It's easy to put down a non-fiction, then pick it up again later. I'm also in the middle of T. S. Boye's After the Plague - short story collection. Perfect pick up put down book.

Old 09-09-2019, 03:30 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,387,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Has anyone read Idaho by Emily Ruskovich? I saw the author on the Today show today and it sounded like a book I could get behind (beautifully written, debut novel, the landscape plays a major role...), but then I looked at Amazon reviews and it sounds like one that might just be frustrating.

This has been on my TBR list for quite a while. Seems like I need to order it soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Trying to fill in some gaps in my youthful reading, just started The Little Prince. I've had an interest in aviation since I was a young boy and its author, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, who was shot down over the Mediterranean flying an unarmed P-38 in 1944, pops up often in aviation literature.

We read The Little Prince in French in 11th grade. I didn't like it that much. However, they have made a very cute and insightful animated series out of it. It's lovely and I enjoy watching it with our daughter. It's a lot about friendship, helping others, believing that everybody is good, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
The books I am enjoying currently are:
My name is Memory
Lucifer's Hammer(an oldie but a goodie end of the world theme)
Trading Up
The Terror

Lucifer's Hammer sat on my shelf for about 5 years before I came around to reading it. It was really good.

I'm somewhat slow these days. One reason can be that I have so many hobbies I don't know where to start and what to do first. Another reason is that I pick pretty heavy books these days. I finished A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry yesterday and it contained as much bad luck, sorrow and tragedy as I can take this year. It was so so sad it took me a few weeks to work through.

Next on is The Lying Game by Ruth Ware, I do need something light and easy right now.

I also finished the audio book Missing you by Harlan Coban, which was pretty good. Since I don't have time to read crime stories but enjoy them from time to time, I switched to audio crime stories...
Currently listening to Arne Dahl's Sieben minus eins.

Old 09-09-2019, 06:52 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post

I'm somewhat slow these days. One reason can be that I have so many hobbies I don't know where to start and what to do first. Another reason is that I pick pretty heavy books these days. I finished A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry yesterday and it contained as much bad luck, sorrow and tragedy as I can take this year. It was so so sad it took me a few weeks to work through.

Next on is The Lying Game by Ruth Ware, I do need something light and easy right now.

A Fine Balance wounded me somehow. Or, conversely, made me aware and able to empathize in a way I wasn't able to before reading it. It's a little like a John Irving book, there's so much there, but without the zany humor of Irving. But still contains Irving's empathy for the characters who you often overlook as unworthy.

For something light and lovely, can I recommend The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister? It's a novel about a chef who closes her restaurant one night a week to offer a cooking school, and the students who come to her class. It's not fluff, and there are some characters who have difficult stories, but it's lovely and much easier. Very sensual.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:01 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Default The Imam's Daughter

I just finished reading The Imam's Daughter by Hannah Shah.

I read this book in almost record time for me reading a 270 page book. The book is absolutely fantastic! If true (more on this qualification bellow) the West is faced with some horrifying problems. The first two-thirds of the book reads like a real-life Stephen King novel; the world of some Muslim "families" is one of violence and extreme sexual perversion. Love is replaced by domination and hatred. Contact with the outside world is kept strictly limited. Any violation of the strictures results in severe beatings, and sometimes rape. The subject of the book was regularly raped from age six until 16, when she fled.

Why did she flee? She fled from an arranged and forced marriage to a distant relative in Pakistan. Her family did not let her be. At one point her father located her. He headed up a 40 member gang of knife- and hammer-wielding assailants. I won't spoil how she avoided being killed (spoiler alert). But the world she fled to was infinitely kinder, more loving and fairer.

She details how she read the Koran in translation and a lot of what she was told were Koranic dictates in fact were not. Islam seems itself to be a sane, often beneficent religion, much like the other great monotheistic religions. Tribal customs from areas it rules, in this case Pakistan, are engrafted into the religion and become mandates whose violations are punishable by death.

Why the doubt (a minor one) on the book's veracity? Does anyone know anything about this?

Every person described, including herself, has their name changed for obvious reasons. Same with the identity of municipalities. I hope that publishers do some fact checking. Same with the various media outlets that publish her and other accounts.

I have to assume they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books