Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2019, 08:33 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,514,052 times

Advertisements

I read The Snakes by Sadie Jones and it sticks with me. I rarely have such a reaction to a book. I read a lot of books I enjoy and I never want them to end, but that's it, Another one bites the dust I say as I toss it in the return to library pile. But this book was more than that. I want to go back and fix things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 04:05 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,387,229 times
Read: 3
Bought new: 9

Now waiting for:
Year of Wonders: A Novel of the Plague
The Mountain Between Us
The Burning Air
The Summer of Skinny Dipping
Claire of the Sea Light
The Keeper of Lost Things
White Oleander
Talk Before Sleep
The Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street

I always collect all the recommendations and then check the used book store from time to time. These are the books that cost less than 2,50 USD.
Mostly I'm surprised by the books that arrive

Have a wonderful afternoon!

Old 09-12-2019, 05:14 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,256,191 times
I'm reading The Secrets We Kept by Lara Prescott. Although this NYT critic does't believe the writing is top drawer, I thought it just fine. It's a riveting story based on true events in the life of Boris Pasternak and Olga Ivinskaya, his lover and model for Lara in the book. Also, the CIA's attempts to promote Doctor Zhivago.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/02/b...-prescott.html

Old 09-12-2019, 05:32 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
HAHAHAHA!!!! This is me!

I have a theory about myself: I think that I enjoy GETTING books more than I enjoy READING them. I have a list of about a dozen books that are being released later this month and in October. I'm SO excited to get them... so that they can join all of the others that I own, but have not read yet.

Old 09-12-2019, 05:41 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,420,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post

Now waiting for:
Year of Wonders: A Novel of the Plague
The Mountain Between Us
The Burning Air
The Summer of Skinny Dipping
Claire of the Sea Light
The Keeper of Lost Things
White Oleander
Talk Before Sleep
The Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street

I always collect all the recommendations and then check the used book store from time to time. These are the books that cost less than 2,50 USD.
Mostly I'm surprised by the books that arrive

Have a wonderful afternoon!
I guess I should list the forums I read because I have been doing so much more of that lately!!
Anyway I loved Year of Wonders (read several years ago. very memorable)
The Keeper of Lost Things I also really enjoyed. Read it recently and it was just sweet.
I have heard good things about Talk Before Sleep and the Ice Cream Queen

Hope you enjoy.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:56 AM

4,796 posts, read 2,801,052 times
Default Target!

Red metal / Mark Greaney and Lieutenant Colonel Hunter Ripley Rawlings IV, USMC, c2019, Berkley.

Subjects
Imaginary wars and battles.
Mines and mineral resources -- Fiction.
Technology and civilization -- Fiction.

Summary
A desperate Kremlin takes advantage of a military crisis in Asia to simultaneously strike into Western Europe and invade east Africa in a bid to occupy three Rare Earth mineral mines that will give Russia unprecedented control for generations over the world's hi-tech sector. Pitted against the Russians are a Marine lieutenant colonel pulled out of a cushy job at the Pentagon and thrown into the fray in Africa, a French Special Forces captain and his intelligence operative father, a young Polish female partisan fighter, an A-10 Warthog pilot, and the commander of an American tank platoon who, along with his German counterpart, fight from behind enemy lines in Germany all the way into Russia.

Length - xiv, 638 pages : maps (very helpful)

Excellent military fiction, a good command of weapons & tactics. Reminds me of Harold Coyle's combat fiction.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:41 AM

4,796 posts, read 2,801,052 times
Default Leave your troubles outside, So- life is disappointing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If you haven't read any of the (now fourteen) books in the series by Philip Kerr then his last and latest book "Metropolis" is a pretty good place to start.
Afterward you can go back to the beginning and read the other thirteen.

Beyond the rather good whodunit aspect of the stories the books are history lessons.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/39801556-metropolis
Splendid reading, & a good picture of Berlin & the times, & the movie/personnel of Metropolis (the movie) also have scenes & lines.

Sadly, Kerr has gone off to that Cabaret in the sky. Fortunately, our library has many of his titles.

& very interesting vocabulary. Something new!

Old 09-12-2019, 11:30 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Just a few chapters into Blind Man's Bluff about when American submarine espionage began against the USSR (late 1940s) until? Some crazy times and the men who lived them.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:27 PM

13,608 posts, read 5,387,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
HAHAHAHA!!!! This is me!

I have a theory about myself: I think that I enjoy GETTING books more than I enjoy READING them. I have a list of about a dozen books that are being released later this month and in October. I'm SO excited to get them... so that they can join all of the others that I own, but have not read yet.

Yes, that's my feeling too. Buying them and stacking them in between the other many books I yet have to read is a wonderful feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I guess I should list the forums I read because I have been doing so much more of that lately!!
Anyway I loved Year of Wonders (read several years ago. very memorable)
The Keeper of Lost Things I also really enjoyed. Read it recently and it was just sweet.
I have heard good things about Talk Before Sleep and the Ice Cream Queen

Hope you enjoy.

I will keep you updated which I like best

Old 09-13-2019, 03:40 AM

3,838 posts, read 1,786,202 times
Just finished 'Song of the Jade Lilly' and found it really interesting that so many people were allowed to enter China without a passport in the late 1930's. Many Jewish families went to Shanghai to seek refuge and lived in the Shanghai Ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books