Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2019, 05:46 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Just finished 'Song of the Jade Lilly' and found it really interesting that so many people were allowed to enter China without a passport in the late 1930's. Many Jewish families went to Shanghai to seek refuge and lived in the Shanghai Ghetto.
This looks interesting! I'll add it to my list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 12:20 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Brought home a field guide to Hummingbirds of North America. Lil' zoomers have been so entertaining around the backyard feeder I want to learn a little more about them.

Old 09-14-2019, 08:13 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Brought home a field guide to Hummingbirds of North America. Lil' zoomers have been so entertaining around the backyard feeder I want to learn a little more about them.

I love hummingbirds and enjoyed them so much in my butterfly and hummingbird garden before my husband passed away and I moved to an apt. Sadly here in NE Ohio east of the Misssissippi we only get one variety, the Ruby Throat. The western US gets many more varieties.

Old 09-14-2019, 09:28 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
I love hummingbirds and enjoyed them so much in my butterfly and hummingbird garden before my husband passed away and I moved to an apt. Sadly here in NE Ohio east of the Misssissippi we only get one variety, the Ruby Throat. The western US gets many more varieties.

Here in NC from what I read the Ruby Throats are the only ones that breed east of the Mississippi but they say other species may occasionally detour east of the Rockies and show up here before starting the long trek to winter in Central/South America. Their flight just amazes me, you don't really see any acceleration/deceleration, they appear to instantly go from a hover to top speed and instantly back to a hover. Even the larger ones only weigh ~ 1/4 oz yet they fly 500 miles non-stop across the Gulf of Mexico, they simply amaze me. The book is interesting, they are truly unique animals.

Old 09-14-2019, 09:37 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
I finished Happiness: A Memoir: The Crooked Little Road to Semi-Ever After by Heather Harpham and gave it 5 stars on Goodreads. I have probably only rated three books 5 stars - I loved it that much.

Harpham is a master with words and words about feelings. Though I love memoirs, many of them are so one-sided (a privilege granted to the writer of a memoir, I suppose) that it really stood out to me how gifted this author is at appreciating events from someone else's viewpoint. I also respected her purposeful veiling the identity of physicians who's advice she didn't agree with while she recognized the health care providers who were instrumental in their journey by name with with genuine gratitude.

I'll spend some time today sleuthing out more things that Heather Harpham has written!

Old 09-14-2019, 02:46 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Yes, we have the Anna's and the Rufous hummers in Oregon, but we don't have cardinals my favorite bird. I'm a native Ohioan and I miss cardinals. They don't fly over the Rockies.

Old 09-14-2019, 09:49 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
I just finished Evelyn, After and for some reason, the writer (Stone) went on and on, expounding on what Evelyn had learned and how she would now be an ideal woman, in the end. It was 20 pages too long for my taste. I skimmed the last chapter but the beginning and middle held my interest.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:43 AM

21 posts, read 11,382 times
I read Harry Potter and enjoyed it but I didn't read the rest of these books
I love fiction and fantasy books so much that I enjoy and loved the Hobbit novel very much

Old 09-15-2019, 10:39 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times
I haven't been around much but popped by to recommend Severance by Ling Ma. I couldn't quite decide whether to give it 4 stars or five but eventually gave it five. It's literary along the lines of Station Eleven. Anyone preferring a fast pace and lots of action would be disappointed. https://www.amazon.com/Severance-Nov...ling+ma&sr=1-1

Old 09-15-2019, 04:38 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-R View Post
Finished "Welcome to Utopia: Notes from a Small Town." Finding a town without popular culture would have been a difficult task even in the 2000s, and that proves to be the case here as well. I was expecting more romanticism and charm, I suppose, with some ties to the history of the town, the beauty of the landscape, and what life was truly like in regard to the entire premise for the book -- the absence of pop culture -- but the author never seems to take much interest in any of that. There were too many tropes for my taste: the "old-timers" being resistant to change (socially, demographically, geographic/expansion/town size), while the seemingly aimless youth she follows have MySpace accounts, attend rock concerts, play video games, or drive many miles out of town see the latest movie releases. The rest of their days are spent, of course, dreaming about their escape from small-town life. Since much of the book has this underlying theme, it gets to be a drag, not a boon.

Welcome to Utopia: Notes from a Small Town.

I just started this yesterday, and so far so good. Very interesting but your assessment is probably valid- I will let you know when I finish it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books