Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2019, 04:56 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times

Advertisements

I'm reading Wild Game by Adrienne Brodeur. I'm about half way through. If it were a novel, I'd hate it and think it's ridiculous. But, as a memoir, it's captivating.

Mayvenne, I'm like you about book length. You prefer a book that's less than 400 pages; I actually prefer if it's less than 300. This one is 256 pages, but I don't know if memoir is your thing. If it is, then I have a list for you, starting with Happiness: A Memoir: The Crooked Little Road to Semi-Ever After; and The Bright Hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2019, 06:58 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,137,018 times
Olive, Again (Olive Kitteridge #2), Elizabeth Strout (2019).

Old 10-20-2019, 11:01 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse66 View Post
Just finished "Euphoria" by Lily King https://www.amazon.com/Euphoria-Lily-King/dp/0802123708

Another book that I finished in 2 days and giving it 5 stars!

It comes in at 257 pages!
Added to my list. Surprisingly the wait isn't too long.

Reading The Husband's Secret now. Various non fiction audio books I'm trying to see if they stick.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-20-2019, 05:32 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'm reading Wild Game by Adrienne Brodeur. I'm about half way through. If it were a novel, I'd hate it and think it's ridiculous. But, as a memoir, it's captivating.

I finished this book. What a whole lot of dysfunction across the board. A mess of narcissism and entitlement and living in denial. Good grief. For a mother to treat a child like that is unfathomable... and yet... there it is. I couldn't put this train wreck down.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 10-20-2019 at 05:58 PM..

Old 10-21-2019, 04:31 AM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
I am a little less than halfway through Troubled Water: What's Wrong with What We Drink by Seth M. Siegel. Let me start with praise; the book is incredibly researched and well-written. My praise cannot go further.

The book details the sometimes horrible health consequences of the adulteration of drinking water. So far it reminds me of a lecture I attended in sixth or seventh grade by Geraldo Rivera, who had recently written exposes on Willowbrook and migrant farm labor. I asked him, as a young student, what solutions he proposed, given the need for relatively low costs both to care for numerous incurably mentally retarded people and to pick vegetables for mass consumption. He stated he didn't have any, but promised not to write again a book or TV show that didn't discuss solutions. I think this book treads on idealism more suited to a middle school audience than supposedly mature and thinking adults.

My wife is picking up Greetings from Bury Park by Sarfraz Manzoor from a reserve at the library (two month wait as a result of the movie it inspired, "Blinded by the Light") so I may need to toggle between the two books. I had been co-reading God: A Biography by Jack Miles but the library system has numerous copies of that book. Greetings from Bury Park is less easily obtained.

Old 10-21-2019, 01:57 PM

829 posts, read 410,848 times
FYI

Just came across this today, for fans of Bill Bryson, he has a new one out "The Body: A Guide for Occupants"

Looks very interesting!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/43582376-the-body

Old 10-21-2019, 02:02 PM

2,527 posts, read 2,774,310 times
Thanks so much! I love Bill Bryson - I think I have everything he has ever written. Can't wait!

Old 10-21-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
Thanks so much! I love Bill Bryson - I think I have everything he has ever written. Can't wait!
You're very welcome! Can't wait to get my hands on it too!

Old 10-22-2019, 08:57 AM

Hard to believe I've never read this one...

Just finished "My Antonia" by Willa Cather https://www.amazon.com/My-%C3%81nton.../dp/0486282406

This was a 5 star read for me. Beautiful descriptive writing of both the characters and the Nebraska landscape.

This book came in at 238 pages.

From the Foreward: In a prophetic 1923 essay on Nebraska, Willa Cather noted with unease that the children of the immigrants, the second generation to farm the Plains, "were reared amid hardships, and it is perhaps natural that they should be very much interested in material comfort, in buying whatever is expensive and ugly." She saw rural Nebraskans succumbing to the enticements of manufacture, the beginnings of a consumer society, and commented, "The generation now in the driver's seat hates to make anything, wants to live and die in an automobile, scudding past those acres where the old men used to follow the long cornrows up and down. They want to buy everything ready-made: clothes, food, education, music, pleasure." She wonders if the generations of the future will be fooled. Will they believe, she asks, "that to live easily is to live happily?" A relevant question for any thoughtful person in a consumer society, but one that has special resonance for those who still farm and ranch on the Great Plains and ponder the transition from families engaged in agriculture to corporations practicing agribusiness.

Old 10-22-2019, 02:15 PM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
Thanks Dawn - Euphoria and Fireshorse for mentioning the page. I did read My Antonia just a few years ago for the first time. Somehow I never read it back in high school.
I am very appreciative for the recognition that sometimes less is more. hahah. I am still struggling lately with reading so I feel that a larger book will just totally intimidate me.
I have Rebecca and Little Fires Everywhere on my kindle now from the library and keep promising myself I am really going to read. I feel so much better when I do read, but I am going through one of those difficult spells. Hopefully I turn it around. I just keep browsing these threads and adding to my want to read lists~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books