Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2019, 08:36 AM

829 posts, read 410,627 times

Advertisements

Finally got my hands on "Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine" by Gail Honeyman https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ompletely-fine and devoured it in 2 days time!

This was a five star read for me ( I mean, just for the entertainment ALONE I felt it deserved 5 stars) I thought her writing style was very reminiscent of Maeve Binchy, who I adore. Gail Honeyman is working on her next book, YAY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2019, 10:31 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,069,126 times
I detested the art forger and had to bail but I think I was sick at the time I was trying to read it and I had my mind on other things . So I don't know .

Old 10-30-2019, 06:58 PM

4,723 posts, read 4,412,873 times
Just sayin' I LOVED Eleanor Oliphant AND Hillbilly Elegy.
Just finished Little Fires Everywhere. Maybe a 4.5 star read. I liked the story, the writing, but the ending was not on par with the rest of the book.

Old 10-30-2019, 09:28 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Just sayin' I LOVED Eleanor Oliphant AND Hillbilly Elegy.
Just finished Little Fires Everywhere. Maybe a 4.5 star read. I liked the story, the writing, but the ending was not on par with the rest of the book.
I hate it when you don't like the ending of a book.

(well, not you personally )
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-31-2019, 01:14 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,180,891 times
Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators by Ronan Farrow.

Old 10-31-2019, 02:27 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,011,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
After trying a few memoirs that I bailed on -- it's a sad day when memoirs fail me -- I started a novel: Find Me by Andre Aciman. This is the sequel to his Call Me By Your Name, which -- although I don't remember much of he story -- I thought was wonderful. It seems that Find Me is pretty wonderful too; I started it late last night and was already at 17% when I went to sleep.
And that -- in bold -- is where I was wrong. I gave up shortly after, at 24%. Back to memoir I go... I'll start Blood by Allison Moorer soon.

Old 10-31-2019, 02:45 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,054,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
And that -- in bold -- is where I was wrong. I gave up shortly after, at 24%. Back to memoir I go... I'll start Blood by Allison Moorer soon.
Ugh. I hate it when that happens, but then again, I am at the point in my life where if I am bored silly by a book after trying at least 20% of it, I just give up and go on to something else. (The same thing with movies and TV shows, for that matter.)

I hope you find a great book SOON, Dawn!

Old 10-31-2019, 03:05 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,011,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Ugh. I hate it when that happens, but then again, I am at the point in my life where if I am bored silly by a book after trying at least 20% of it, I just give up and go on to something else. (The same thing with movies and TV shows, for that matter.)

I hope you find a great book SOON, Dawn!
Thanks, Karen!! I've been known to bail on books within the first few pages but up to 17%, Find Me was good. Then it wasn't.

There are so many on my "to read" list that I'm bound to hit on something good sooner or later. I do much better with memoir because, with fiction, I have a hard time suspending my disbelief. With memoir, it might *seem* far-fetched, but it's (supposedly) true.

Old 10-31-2019, 03:24 PM

3,824 posts, read 1,779,210 times
I just finished up with 'Cilka's Journey' by Heather Morris. This is the same author who wrote 'The Tattooist of Auschwitz'. That book received a lot of criticism for distorting the facts and was also disavowed by the Auschwitz-Birkenau Memorial and Museum.

Anyway, because of that, I was hesitant to read this sequel. But I wanted to hear the story about "the bravest person" Lale had ever known. And after reading the book its again not clear what's truth and what's made up lies. I mean why can't this author just tell a factual story? I guess I don't think its fair to the person who's life story she is telling, to include a bunch of false narratives. This book was written about a real woman who spent three years at Auschwitz and then sent to a Russian prison camp for several additional years, her stepson has said numerous things in the book are untrue and has denounced the book.

So disappointing that an author cannot just be entirely truthful about stories concerning the holocaust.

Last edited by Wintergirl80; 10-31-2019 at 03:34 PM..

Old 10-31-2019, 07:21 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,052,256 times
I just read The Surrogate by Louise Jensen. A bit too long (299 p) and I didn't like the way she ended the book. Too much "then" and "now". This seems to be the way many books are written lately. On to the next...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books