Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2019, 11:04 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh my gosh, I must be insane. I just got a tip on a book and ordered it. "Three Men In A Boat." It's OLD, y'all - it was written in the late 1800s but my gosh, the humor...here are some quotes:
https://www.goodreads.com/work/quote...ing-of-the-dog
I'm so glad that you're back on this forum, KA! I've been meaning to read that book FOREVER but it completely fell off of my radar. It's been pushed way up high on the "to read" list. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 01:48 PM

484 posts, read 197,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Just finished The Whisper Man by ,Alex North. Another creepy, scary, mystery for me which I liked. Young boys go missing and one is never found but 20 years later, he shows up.
This sounds good. Thanks for the referral. I like creepy, scary mysteries too.

Old 12-03-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Oh my gosh, I must be insane. I just got a tip on a book and ordered it. "Three Men In A Boat." It's OLD, y'all - it was written in the late 1800s but my gosh, the humor...here are some quotes:
Okay, now I want to read this book, too! Or should I say "three?" lol I read some of the quotes and loved them. I especially loved this one:

“But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand.”
― Jerome K. Jerome, Three Men in a Boat

Thanks!!!

Old 12-03-2019, 02:49 PM

I am reading, This Is Not Over by Holly Brown. Another Dollar Tree find and for a buck, it is really good. It starts out with one woman and her husband renting a house from another woman for the weekend. The owner claims the renter damaged her sheets and they start emailing each other back and forth in an attempt to resolve this issue. Each woman thinks she's right and their communications get increasingly more demeaning to each other. The tension is building and as it does you find out more about their individual lives. I have a sneaking suspicion they have a lot in common and if they could have met in a different way, they could have been good friends. They both have secret pasts.

I just finished another Dollar Tree find, "This Is Your Life, Harriet Chance! I really liked that one too. Surprise ending. Woman in her late 70's whose husband recently died, starts looking back at her life at different ages. Also finds out her late husband booked a cruise for 2 to Alaska, which is totally out of character. While on the cruise she finds out about the secret life her husband was leading.

Old 12-03-2019, 03:03 PM

1,456 posts, read 515,300 times
Quote:
It is an absolutely marvelous little read. If you like it and enjoy Jerome's style, the book has a sequel, which can also be found on Gutenberg.

Three Men on the Bummel by Jerome K. Jerome - Free Ebook

Old 12-03-2019, 05:48 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaYa6119 View Post
I am reading, This Is Not Over by Holly Brown. Another Dollar Tree find and for a buck, it is really good. It starts out with one woman and her husband renting a house from another woman for the weekend. The owner claims the renter damaged her sheets and they start emailing each other back and forth in an attempt to resolve this issue. Each woman thinks she's right and their communications get increasingly more demeaning to each other. The tension is building and as it does you find out more about their individual lives. I have a sneaking suspicion they have a lot in common and if they could have met in a different way, they could have been good friends. They both have secret pasts.

I just finished another Dollar Tree find, "This Is Your Life, Harriet Chance! I really liked that one too. Surprise ending. Woman in her late 70's whose husband recently died, starts looking back at her life at different ages. Also finds out her late husband booked a cruise for 2 to Alaska, which is totally out of character. While on the cruise she finds out about the secret life her husband was leading.
I liked Harriet Chance. Read it a couple years ago and would like to check out more by this author. One of his books was made into a movie.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I liked Harriet Chance. Read it a couple years ago and would like to check out more by this author. One of his books was made into a movie.
I thought so too, tigerlily. I liked his way of writing and would enjoy trying another book by him.

Old 12-04-2019, 05:56 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaYa6119 View Post
Okay, now I want to read this book, too! Or should I say "three?" lol I read some of the quotes and loved them. I especially loved this one:

“But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand.”
― Jerome K. Jerome, Three Men in a Boat

Thanks!!!
Right!

Hey, this writing style reminds me a lot of GK Chesterton's writing style. I am thinking specifically of "What's Wrong With the World?" which he wrote about the turn of the 20th century, maybe a bit before. HE WAS RIGHT! He writes in a very witty style like this guy does.

I can't wait to get this book! LOL

Old 12-04-2019, 05:57 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzpapalotl View Post
It is an absolutely marvelous little read. If you like it and enjoy Jerome's style, the book has a sequel, which can also be found on Gutenberg.

Three Men on the Bummel by Jerome K. Jerome - Free Ebook
I actually think I am getting both of them! I ordered this used on Amazon and I believe this comes as a set. For dirt cheap. Thank you by the way.

Old 12-04-2019, 07:02 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
I just finished Swing Time..... I have no idea why I read that, except it was something to read before sleep, and it certainly wouldn't keep me up any longer than necessary.

Starting Bill Bryson's The Body in book format (I had listened to some on audio) and I am enjoying it much more.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books