Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-14-2020, 01:03 AM
 
Location: Somewhere.
10,481 posts, read 25,280,890 times
Reputation: 9120

Advertisements

The Passage by Justin Cronin. Super long book. Another apocalyptic type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-14-2020, 02:27 AM
 
Location: In my own personal Twilight zone
13,608 posts, read 5,385,731 times
Reputation: 30253
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
The Passage by Justin Cronin. Super long book. Another apocalyptic type.
Aah, I loved this series! Unfortunately I have them only on kindle

I needed to stop Stuart: A Life backwards. I couldn't even finish 50 pages. It just didn't feel right...

Started My Life in France by Julia Child yesterday. Hopefully this will be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2020, 05:01 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Reputation: 28903
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
Started My Life in France by Julia Child yesterday. Hopefully this will be better.
I really enjoyed that book! I hope that you do too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2020, 06:34 AM
 
Location: Colorado Springs
15,218 posts, read 10,304,488 times
Reputation: 32198
Just finished The Chamber by John Grisham. I found it at my mother's house after she died. It looked like a brand new book but then I realized it was from 1994. It was long and tedious in my opinion. I found myself skimming through unnecessary descriptions just to speed things along.

I like books that grab you right away and that don't feel the need to describe everything in minute detail. Robin Cook used to be one my favorite writers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2020, 07:50 AM
 
Location: Middle of the valley
48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Reputation: 73739
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Just finished The Chamber by John Grisham. I found it at my mother's house after she died. It looked like a brand new book but then I realized it was from 1994. It was long and tedious in my opinion. I found myself skimming through unnecessary descriptions just to speed things along.

I like books that grab you right away and that don't feel the need to describe everything in minute detail. Robin Cook used to be one my favorite writers.

Stay away from Anne Rice!!
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2020, 10:07 AM
 
9,868 posts, read 7,694,624 times
Reputation: 22124
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
I just picked up The Feather Thief (nonfiction) and Shaun Tan’s Tales from Outer Suburbia, a kids’ book. I am totally smitten with his The Lost Thing in both film and book formats, and flipping through this book I was trying to soak myself into the gorgeous, moody illustrations already. Can’t wait to read it.

The Lost Thing is one of those extremely rare films/books that made me wish I were in the world of that story. The other one that comes to mind is Brian Doyle’s Mink River.
Tales from Outer Suburbia is definitely not merely a kids’ book, and neither is The Lost
Thing
. It’s a shame such all-ages, all-cultures books are pigeon-holed into narrow categories. This is such a keeper I intend to buy a copy to keep with my copy of The Lost Thing.

I am engrossed after merely starting Tales and The Feather Thief last night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2020, 11:13 AM
 
Location: New Mexico
4,794 posts, read 2,798,999 times
Reputation: 4925
Default & everywhere he is in chains

Leaving the witness : exiting a religion and finding a life / Amber Scorah, c2019, Viking, 289.92 SCOR.

Subjects
• Scorah, Amber.
• Jehovah's Witnesses -- Missions -- China.
• Ex-church members -- Jehovah's Witnesses -- Biography.

Summary
• A first book by the creator of the "Dear Amber" podcast describes her strict upbringing as a third-generation Jehovah's Witness and her efforts to find her true place in the world apart from the edicts of her family and faith.
• A third-generation Jehovah's Witness, Scorah had devoted her life to sounding God's warning of impending Armageddon. She took the message to China, where immersion in a foreign language and culture turned her world upside down, and eventually led her to lose all that she had been sure was true. Beginning to understand that there were other ways of seeing the world, her loss of faith culminated in her own personal apocalypse. Shunned by family and friends as an apostate, Scorah was thrown into a world she had only known from the periphery. Here she examines what it's like to start one's life over again with an entirely new identity, trying to find meaning in the absence of religion.-- adapted from jacket

Length
• 279 pages :

An insider story of the Jehovah’s Witness & one person’s voyage of discovery from Witness to free human. Lots of background on the Witness, & their mode of life for ordinary believers. Interesting reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2020, 11:54 AM
 
Location: New Mexico
4,794 posts, read 2,798,999 times
Reputation: 4925
Default Who steals my purse

The battle for paradise : Puerto Rico takes on the disaster capitalists / Naomi Klein, 1970- , c2018, Haymarket Books, 363.34 KLEI.

Subjects
• Natural disasters -- Economic aspects -- Puerto Rico.
• Sustainable development -- Puerto Rico.
• Capitalism -- Moral and ethical aspects -- Puerto Rico.
• Puerto Rico -- Economic conditions -- 21st century.
• Puerto Rico -- Social conditions -- 21st century.

Notes
• A solar oasis -- Invasion of the Puertopians -- An island weary of outside experiments -- "Welcome to magic land" -- Shock-after-shock-after-shock doctrine -- Desperation, distraction, despair, and disappearance -- The islands of sovereignty converge -- Race against time.

Summary
• "In the rubble of Hurricane Maria, Puerto Ricans and ultrarich "Puertopians" are locked in a pitched struggle over how to remake the island. In this vital and startling investigation, New York Times bestselling author and activist Naomi Klein uncovers how the forces of shock politics and disaster capitalism seek to undermine the nation's radical, resilient vision for a just recovery."--Page [4] of cover.

Length
• xi, 80 pages ;

The struggle is between the native Puerto Ricans, who want to create a long-term sustainable energy & agricultural economy; & fly-in tax evaders, who want to create an island-wide gated community, for their own enjoyment. A closer look @ an issue that’s treated distantly in the national US media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2020, 10:26 PM
 
Location: Pacific Northwest
3,832 posts, read 1,782,572 times
Reputation: 5006
Finished A Bend in the Stars last night --- the beginning of the book started out so interesting and easy to read, but the middle towards the end was just conflict and violence.

At the end of the story was a Q/A with the author and the violence was never needed for the story, as it was completely fictional. I don't know why some authors choose to add so much violence when its unnecessary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2020, 12:35 AM
 
153 posts, read 138,080 times
Reputation: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
The battle for paradise : Puerto Rico takes on the disaster capitalists / Naomi Klein, 1970- , c2018, Haymarket Books, 363.34 KLEI.

Subjects
• Natural disasters -- Economic aspects -- Puerto Rico.
• Sustainable development -- Puerto Rico.
• Capitalism -- Moral and ethical aspects -- Puerto Rico.
• Puerto Rico -- Economic conditions -- 21st century.
• Puerto Rico -- Social conditions -- 21st century.

Notes
• A solar oasis -- Invasion of the Puertopians -- An island weary of outside experiments -- "Welcome to magic land" -- Shock-after-shock-after-shock doctrine -- Desperation, distraction, despair, and disappearance -- The islands of sovereignty converge -- Race against time.

Summary
• "In the rubble of Hurricane Maria, Puerto Ricans and ultrarich "Puertopians" are locked in a pitched struggle over how to remake the island. In this vital and startling investigation, New York Times bestselling author and activist Naomi Klein uncovers how the forces of shock politics and disaster capitalism seek to undermine the nation's radical, resilient vision for a just recovery."--Page [4] of cover.

Length
• xi, 80 pages ;

The struggle is between the native Puerto Ricans, who want to create a long-term sustainable energy & agricultural economy; & fly-in tax evaders, who want to create an island-wide gated community, for their own enjoyment. A closer look @ an issue that’s treated distantly in the national US media.
I might pick this one up at one of the libraries. Even though Puerto Rico is a U.S., territory I know very little about it. Would you recommend this book?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top