Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2020, 04:49 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times

Advertisements

I thought I had posted earlier, but anyway... I read Harry's Trees by Jon Cohen for book club.
It varied between being really good and interesting story with lots of twists , and then being just too drawn out and pushing on the credibility part.
Definitely a different book. I think I would give it like 3 stars or so and then I looked at Goodreads and it's ranked at over 4 stars which is really a very strong rating.

Not sure what will be next. True to form, I just got The Choice AND There, there, both from the library on kindle. The race is on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2020, 07:10 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,799,413 times
Default An overview & a close-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayingAfterSunday View Post
I might pick this one up at one of the libraries. Even though Puerto Rico is a U.S., territory I know very little about it. Would you recommend this book?
Yes, but this one (The battle for paradise) is brief, good if you want a quick look @ PR planning on recovering from crisis. For a longer narrative, I'd recommend We fed an island - which goes further into issues of coordination & who does what in a typical US disaster relief effort. We fed an island gives you a ringside seat, as the author scrambles with the logistics & political issues of putting together groceries, cooks, kitchens, transportation, fuel, volunteers, resources, energy, water …

Old 02-15-2020, 08:18 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Do most of you buy your books, go to the library or get them online? I haven't been reading much in the last 10 years but I used to be an avid reader. When I go to the library, they never seem to have what I'm looking for (it's on the top 10 list) and I have to wait. I only have an antenna for TV and both ABC and NBC are upgrading their towers so I've had little to do at night so I read a couple of books I had in the house. The Ray Romano one "Everything and a Kite" is older but I found myself laughing out loud at a lot of it. So anyway, I want to start reading again.

Can you tell me a little more about book clubs? Do you all read a book and then get together to discuss it?

Old 02-15-2020, 08:40 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
I get my books electronically from the library, and yes, sometimes the waiting list for current books can be up to six months.

But there are so many to keep me occupied in the meantime.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-15-2020, 12:40 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
Just finished superbugs and it was way more optimistic than what I usually read in this subject.

Old 02-15-2020, 07:05 PM

153 posts, read 138,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Yes, but this one (The battle for paradise) is brief, good if you want a quick look @ PR planning on recovering from crisis. For a longer narrative, I'd recommend We fed an island - which goes further into issues of coordination & who does what in a typical US disaster relief effort. We fed an island gives you a ringside seat, as the author scrambles with the logistics & political issues of putting together groceries, cooks, kitchens, transportation, fuel, volunteers, resources, energy, water …
Thank you, southwest 88, I'll get this one after I'm finished the ones I'm reading now. The subject matter you described does, indeed, interest me and the book will be the first of its kind for me.

Old 02-16-2020, 07:08 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Do most of you buy your books, go to the library or get them online? I haven't been reading much in the last 10 years but I used to be an avid reader. When I go to the library, they never seem to have what I'm looking for (it's on the top 10 list) and I have to wait. I only have an antenna for TV and both ABC and NBC are upgrading their towers so I've had little to do at night so I read a couple of books I had in the house. The Ray Romano one "Everything and a Kite" is older but I found myself laughing out loud at a lot of it. So anyway, I want to start reading again.

Can you tell me a little more about book clubs? Do you all read a book and then get together to discuss it?

My county's library system is very accommodating and I get my books from there. Sometimes I have to wait a few weeks but other times I get on the list early for books yet to be released and get them when released, and I can always find something not quite so new that I'd still like to read. They also loan DVDs and music CDs so I'm very happy to have them nearby.

Old 02-16-2020, 10:20 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post

Most books I read are from the library, and some I buy at bookstores. Despite living in an area without lots of shopping, we do have access to a good variety of books.

First, two of the three libraries within a 40-minute drive from home participate in a statewide library lending program. Whatever they don’t have locally can often be borrowed from a distant library. You just have to request it and wait for it to become both available for circulation and scheduled for deliveries. I have borrowed books from libraries that are an 8- to 9-hour drive away! It is fun to see where they come from.

Second, we have an indie bookstore in town that sells both new and used books. I have ordered books that they did not stock, and all were ready for pickup within a week, usually only a couple of days. (Another indie book store where we used to live proudly said—and lived up to the claim—they could get ordered books as fast as online shops, usually the next day.) So ask what turnaround at your local store is, if you want to buy something there.

Third, a local restaurant does a side business in which they find and sell a fantastic assortment of used books which they distribute for sale at a few other places such as another restaurant or a small grocery store/cafe. I’ve browsed these extensive selections many times and bought several such books. There are unusual books, often on unusual subjects or from highly talented fiction writers that didn’t get picked up by a Big Publisher. Betcha there are collectors’ items among them. These arrays are a real treasure trove for those who want something other than bestsellers (which they include also) or romance novels.

Popular new books (NYT best sellers, Oprah picks, and the latest famous mysteries) always have a long waiting list anywhere I lived. Fortunately, I tend not to like most of those. But if you are waiting for one, it’s worth checking used-book stores to see if someone brought one in to get cash or credit towards another book.

I never joined a book club, but two towns where I have lived do “community book” reads. The library and stores stock up on the title, and several meetings are scheduled in different local towns for participants to attend and discuss after reading the book.

We have extremely poor TV and radio reception here, so books are my go-to inside diversion. XM/Sirius radio, too.

Old 02-16-2020, 11:18 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,185,741 times
Grensen (The Border) by Erika Fatland. It is a 600+ page travelogue about the Russian border, from Norway to North Korea.

Old 02-16-2020, 01:49 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,907,941 times
I'm reading my first ever sci-fi book, The Left Hand of Darkness - Ursula Le Guin, for my book club. I'm not very far into it, but to my surprise, I'm enjoying it. While I could not name the characters or the planet because their names are made up, the story line is sticking with me. I initially thought it was going to be a slog when the title and genre was shared, I find I look forward to picking the book up in the evening to continue the exploration. The book was written 50 years ago but the story translates extraordinarily well to life in 2020. My librarian friend says Le Guin is a much admired and lauded sci-fi author.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books