Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-17-2020, 09:58 AM
 
8,411 posts, read 7,422,948 times
Reputation: 6409

Advertisements

The Guardians By John Grisham. I'm only on chapter 5 but so far it's very good.

Also listening to Blowout by Rachael Maddow on Audible. I like audiobooks when the author of the book is reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-17-2020, 10:02 AM
 
10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Reputation: 32344
Just finished three, one after another.



The Secret Life of AJ Fikree by Gabrielle Zevin. Cute but predictable. Nice beach read.


The Descendents by Kaui Hart Hemmings. I loved the movie and it turns out the movie was faithful to the book.



Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry. Rereading this one. I shove this book into the hands of anyone I can and I've yet to meet someone who didn't love it. Yes, it takes place in the west. No, it's not a genre novel. Just a incredible book on so many levels. Still holds up some 35 years later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2020, 10:21 AM
 
9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Reputation: 22124
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Just finished three, one after another.



The Secret Life of AJ Fikree by Gabrielle Zevin. Cute but predictable. Nice beach read.


The Descendents by Kaui Hart Hemmings. I loved the movie and it turns out the movie was faithful to the book.



Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry. Rereading this one. I shove this book into the hands of anyone I can and I've yet to meet someone who didn't love it. Yes, it takes place in the west. No, it's not a genre novel. Just a incredible book on so many levels. Still holds up some 35 years later.
Lonesome Dove is much more than a western or period piece, I agree.

For another timeless McMurtry book, read All My Friends Are Going To Be Strangers. It is actually my favorite book of his, and it sure comes across as being autobiographical. I read it during a similar period of melancholy and lostness during my young adulthood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2020, 11:06 AM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Reputation: 40736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Do you have to pay for your use of inter-library loan? Where I live each inter library loan is $5 so I have never borrowed from it. I tend to borrow books thru e-book from the library, or buy from Amazon or Barnes and Noble.

An inter-library loan from my county's library system is $1 or $2, I forget which. Being I've borrowed some books that retailed for up to $90 new and others that are difficult to find at a reasonable price I think it's a great bargain. I think the loan time may be dependent on the source but the last book I had I was given 30 days and if needed it was possible to request an extension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2020, 11:17 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Reputation: 27092
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Just finished three, one after another.



The Secret Life of AJ Fikree by Gabrielle Zevin. Cute but predictable. Nice beach read.


The Descendents by Kaui Hart Hemmings. I loved the movie and it turns out the movie was faithful to the book.



Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry. Rereading this one. I shove this book into the hands of anyone I can and I've yet to meet someone who didn't love it. Yes, it takes place in the west. No, it's not a genre novel. Just a incredible book on so many levels. Still holds up some 35 years later.


The book made me cry , lonesome dove and so did the tv movies did both of them as well . Those people of that time period are of a different breed because they sure were hearty for a lack of a better word back then .People now a days would not have survived back then .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2020, 12:35 PM
 
Location: New Mexico
4,796 posts, read 2,801,052 times
Reputation: 4926
Default The marketplace has its own logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
An inter-library loan from my county's library system is $1 or $2, I forget which. Being I've borrowed some books that retailed for up to $90 new and others that are difficult to find at a reasonable price I think it's a great bargain. I think the loan time may be dependent on the source but the last book I had I was given 30 days and if needed it was possible to request an extension.
Yes, the price of books (magazines, pamphlets, newspapers) keeps going up & up - another mistake, with free content available all over the Internet, I think they're all cutting off their noses. The newspapers & magazines are all under pressure - see McClatchy, I think it was, just filed for bankruptcy protection.

So in that sense, yes, getting a book to read for a few dollars is a bargain. In the long haul - it's hard to say what the eventual marketplace for print publications will be. Right now, it looks pretty bleak.

Some of them, of course, will hardly be missed. But the variety of tastes & subjects available is one of the plusses of the relatively free market. It was wonderful, while it lasted ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2020, 12:56 PM
 
10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Reputation: 32344
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Lonesome Dove is much more than a western or period piece, I agree.

For another timeless McMurtry book, read All My Friends Are Going To Be Strangers. It is actually my favorite book of his, and it sure comes across as being autobiographical. I read it during a similar period of melancholy and lostness during my young adulthood.

I'll need to try that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2020, 01:26 PM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Reputation: 40736
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Yes, the price of books (magazines, pamphlets, newspapers) keeps going up & up - another mistake, with free content available all over the Internet, I think they're all cutting off their noses. The newspapers & magazines are all under pressure - see McClatchy, I think it was, just filed for bankruptcy protection.

So in that sense, yes, getting a book to read for a few dollars is a bargain. In the long haul - it's hard to say what the eventual marketplace for print publications will be. Right now, it looks pretty bleak.

Some of them, of course, will hardly be missed. But the variety of tastes & subjects available is one of the plusses of the relatively free market. It was wonderful, while it lasted ...

I don't know, personally, for me, there's simply no comparison between reading something in a beautifully produced book vs. something on a web site. The $90 book I borrowed was about Ferrari's Formula 1 team, a writer and photographer had been given unprecedented access to their facility and the photography was very well done. I just believe seeing the same pix on a screen is a different and IMO a lesser experience. Maybe I'm just a closet Luddite in some respects but I see no Kindle in my future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2020, 06:20 PM
 
Location: prescott az
6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
Reputation: 14245
I go to Goodreads and make lists and then see if my library has the books I want. They will order books if they don't have them, which is nice. I like to hold the book in my hands to read.

Last week I was at GoodWill and found a new paperback copy of "Devil in the White City" by Erik Larson so I bought it and am re-reading it at night before bed. I enjoy his books although they take longer to read than my usual mystery.
Am on the "hold" list for 7 others at the library so am waiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2020, 06:57 PM
 
Location: Middle of the valley
48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Reputation: 73759
added Lonesome Dove, and I hate westerns. (only because I am totally into Deadwood right now)
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top