Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2020, 07:14 AM

443 posts, read 437,458 times

Advertisements

Picked up An American Marriage from my library. Going to start it later today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2020, 02:30 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times
Thanks to those who've mentioned All Creatures Great And Small! I'd known about it for years but something else always seemed to pop up first. I just started it yesterday and I'm hooked, already about half-way through, very entertaining book!

Old 02-28-2020, 10:23 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,301 times
A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin
The third book in the Game of Thrones series which I am enjoying as season 3 has been my fave

Old 02-29-2020, 11:51 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Had to take a short break from Rachel Maddow's book to read a book called Normal People for my neighborhood book club. I don't know what I thought. It was weird. It jumps on this new trend of not having any quotation marks/normal dialogue, which I find irritating, but it seems to be a trend. The characters were all super messed up and not particularly likable or relatable. It was a fast read, though, and I suppose entertaining enough.
I gave up on Normal People. It got so many rave reviews.

Old 02-29-2020, 12:51 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,139,402 times
All Things Wise and Wonderful.

Old 02-29-2020, 10:51 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I recently finished Nothing to See Here by Kevin Wilson. One of the most unusual books I've ever read, but it was certainly interesting. Wilson has apparently written other books about oddball families.

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/02/77519...ng-to-see-here
Yes, quirky and oddball. I finished last week. Started Perfect Little World awhile ago and need to finish.

Old 03-01-2020, 08:32 PM

496 posts, read 395,417 times
My most recent book was Ghost Writer by Alessandra Torre. I truly enjoyed this. I believe it was a freebie on my Kindle through Prime. Definitely worth the time to read. I highly recommend it.

Beach House by Jane Green was not a favorite of mine. After the first few pages I thought I was reading an article from a psychology magazine. So much so that I had to go back to Amazon to make sure that I was indeed reading a novel. I felt it was rather a waste of time.

When We Believed in Mermaids by Barbara O’Neal was a satisfying read and I do recommend it.

Old 03-01-2020, 08:34 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I gave up on Normal People. It got so many rave reviews.
It was one of those books where many people either loved it or despised it. I felt more in the middle -- it was a BOTM selection last year and I was ambivalent about it. I then saw that it got a 3 star average review on goodreads and amazon, and figured I'd skip it. (I didn't really look that closely at them to see that it was a lot of 1s and 5s). Then my neighborhood book club picked it, so I did read it. Generally, people seemed to like it. I'm still kind of meh.

Old 03-01-2020, 10:22 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,236,002 times
Color purple

Old 03-02-2020, 05:34 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Well, my raves for The Choice:Embrace the Possible by Edith Eger, were a smidge premature.
Still absolutely a worthwhile read, but for me, the first half or so was what totally got me. The second half was still good but not at that high level.
It is a book club read, so as I do with just about any book I pick up, no clue what it was about.I actually expected fiction. It is a part autobiography/memoir turning into a self help book.

Next on my kindle ( I have so much now from the library- I am busy juggling) is A Fall of Marigolds for another book club. The author is Susan Meissner (Secrets of a Charmed Life and As Bright As Heaven; I have read both of them and really liked them).
Re American Marriage- most people I know loved it. I thought it was ok but still don't understand the acclaim it's received.
Editing to add, we met to discuss Harry's Trees and most people gave it 4 or 5 stars. I had it at about 3 stars. So maybe it's me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books