Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2020, 12:06 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times

Advertisements

Just finished reading There Are No Children Here by Alex Kotlowitz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2020, 02:27 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,386,066 times
While Ghost Train to the Eastern Star is very interesting, it is also quite challenging. A lot of details about political situations in the countries the author comes through, many information about architecture, literature and throw-backs to The Great Railway Bazaar. The best things are the things he gets to know from the natives, how the live, work etc.

A quicker read is Being Billy by Phil Earle.

Old 03-09-2020, 11:58 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,696,237 times
Just finished Mark Bowden’s The Last Stone, which describes the reopening of a 38-year-old cold case. Two young girls had been abducted in 1975 and brutally murdered, with the bodies still not found to this day. However, the key player in the crimes turned out to be just the tip of a huge, unbelievably evil network of clan-based pedophilic and violent crimes that were accepted as “normal” since who knows when.

The multiple jurisdictions, different interrogation strategies, and most of all the repeated yet constantly changing mixtures of big lies and enticing slivers of truth (but guess which ones are valid!) offered by the criminal will raise both your eyebrows and your hackles.

That such an aberration of basic humanity can exist is actually not the chief stunner. The mind-boggling part is that this creep got caught while generations before and parallel with him are involved in similar practices yet were and still are free to continue doing the same as pappy and granpappy and uncle and others did.

Old 03-10-2020, 06:48 AM

829 posts, read 411,623 times
What a time to be stuck with such a boatload of real stinkers, as my library was closed for 2 1/2 weeks for carpet replacement.

I had three DNF's (Did not finish!)

Heroes of the Frontier by Dave Eggers (This one really made you appreciate just how great "The Great Alone" was!

Some Kind of Happiness by Clair Legrand (Juvenile Fiction, no idea why this was on my list)

On The Edge of Gone - Corinne Duyvis (Young Adult Fiction, again, no idea why this was on my list)

Then I had two 1 star reads:

The Printed Letter Bookshop by Katherine Reay (This was a light and fluffy read, I pushed myself to get through it)

Mostly Dead Things by Kristen Arnett (This was a DIFFERENT read, but not in a good way, another one I had to push myself to get through it)

FINALLY able to get to the library yesterday and first up will be Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi, since so many of you enjoyed this one. I have high hopes for my new batch of books, we shall see

Old 03-10-2020, 06:59 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
I'm going to start a NOVEL (!!) today: My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell.

Old 03-10-2020, 10:28 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,033,009 times
Just finished The Maltese Falcon. Before that, Lonesome Dove.

Now I'm going highbrow with A Dance To The Music Of Time.

Recent DNF was The Alchemist by Coehlo. Am I the only one who finds magical realism annoying?

Old 03-10-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'm going to start a NOVEL (!!) today: My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell.
Please post your thoughts on this book when you are done. I saw a short review of it that made me add it to my list of must-reads.

Meanwhile, I’m about halfway through Oliver Sacks’s On the Move, which is his autobiography. He has written many books, some highly acclaimed, but it was only after I heard part of an NPR or Ted interview with him (when he knew he would die soon of cancer) that I found out what a fascinating person he was—and still IS through the voice of his writings. This is a fellow I would love to have met and talked with. It doesn’t hurt that he has a great sense of humor.

Not yet opened but waiting for me to start it is Lost and Wanted, a novel.

I’m interspersing reading books of all kinds with also studying birds, with the help of three field guides. *sigh* Sure makes it unwieldy juggling three guides! They really do complement each other, though. There are other ones I own that would further assist...MUST STOP trying to cover every angle...MUST...

Old 03-10-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse66 View Post
What a time to be stuck with such a boatload of real stinkers, as my library was closed for 2 1/2 weeks for carpet replacement.

I had three DNF's (Did not finish!)

Heroes of the Frontier by Dave Eggers (This one really made you appreciate just how great "The Great Alone" was!

Some Kind of Happiness by Clair Legrand (Juvenile Fiction, no idea why this was on my list)

On The Edge of Gone - Corinne Duyvis (Young Adult Fiction, again, no idea why this was on my list)

Then I had two 1 star reads:

The Printed Letter Bookshop by Katherine Reay (This was a light and fluffy read, I pushed myself to get through it)

Mostly Dead Things by Kristen Arnett (This was a DIFFERENT read, but not in a good way, another one I had to push myself to get through it)

FINALLY able to get to the library yesterday and first up will be Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi, since so many of you enjoyed this one. I have high hopes for my new batch of books, we shall see
Funny, I really enjoyed that book! Definitely unique, not just different, from anything else I’ve read. But I love black humor.

Old 03-10-2020, 01:04 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,185,741 times
No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy.

Old 03-10-2020, 01:14 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,415,175 times
Educated by Tara Westover
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books