Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2020, 01:27 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2020, 02:15 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
Educated by Tara Westover
This is my Book Club's pick for next week and for some reason I have dug in my heals about not wanting to read it. I think it might be because people have compared it to Glass Castle which I think I might have been in the 2% of readers who didn't like that one.

Waiting to hear how you like it and for someone to convince me to give it a go!

Old 03-10-2020, 02:35 PM

962 posts, read 612,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
This is my Book Club's pick for next week and for some reason I have dug in my heals about not wanting to read it. I think it might be because people have compared it to Glass Castle which I think I might have been in the 2% of readers who didn't like that one.

I though Educated was fantastic. Feel the same about The Glass Castle.

I guess they are similar . . . . . . wondering why you didn't like The Glass Castle?

I'm genuinely curious, and would like you read your thoughts. Thanks.

Old 03-10-2020, 08:04 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'm going to start a NOVEL (!!) today: My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell.
I just put it on hold today.

Old 03-10-2020, 09:43 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
I though Educated was fantastic. Feel the same about The Glass Castle.

I guess they are similar . . . . . . wondering why you didn't like The Glass Castle?

I'm genuinely curious, and would like you read your thoughts. Thanks.
Thank you for asking so kindly.

To be fair - I think that I read Glass Castle during a period of family turmoil that was mental illness related and I might have been overly sensitive and critical about the portrayal of mental illness. I just didn't find it believable and it felt "white-washed" with much of the exhausting, daily wear and tear of mental illness downplayed and the "gifts" of an unusual childhood and scrappy up-bringing unrealistically highlighted.

Perhaps I should give Educated a try - It probably isn't fair to lump them together like that.

Old 03-11-2020, 12:37 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,386,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse66 View Post
What a time to be stuck with such a boatload of real stinkers, as my library was closed for 2 1/2 weeks for carpet replacement.

I had three DNF's (Did not finish!)

Heroes of the Frontier by Dave Eggers (This one really made you appreciate just how great "The Great Alone" was!

Some Kind of Happiness by Clair Legrand (Juvenile Fiction, no idea why this was on my list)

On The Edge of Gone - Corinne Duyvis (Young Adult Fiction, again, no idea why this was on my list)

Then I had two 1 star reads:

The Printed Letter Bookshop by Katherine Reay (This was a light and fluffy read, I pushed myself to get through it)

Mostly Dead Things by Kristen Arnett (This was a DIFFERENT read, but not in a good way, another one I had to push myself to get through it)

FINALLY able to get to the library yesterday and first up will be Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi, since so many of you enjoyed this one. I have high hopes for my new batch of books, we shall see

Enjoy Homegoing. Read it a few weeks ago. It was a great and moving book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'm going to start a NOVEL (!!) today: My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell.
Let us know what you think, Dawn.

Had to finish Being Billy by Phil Earle yesterday. I cried all through the second half of the book. Makes one appreciate some things.

Next on The Burning Air by Erin Kelly. I'm not much into reading thrillers and mystery because there are so many other good books, that I prefer to listen to them as audio books. But somebody must have recommended it. This is one case again that I'm surprised at what I find on my shelf

Old 03-11-2020, 05:38 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times
I finished Fall of Marigolds and pretty much enjoyed it, but I definitely preferred the 2 other books I have read by the author Susan Meissner. This one had great promise as it combined and flipped back and forth (but mostly back) between the Triangle Shirtwaist Fire 1911, and the more current day but tied to 9/11. It held my interest and the author writes well and tells a good story but I would say this one just went on too long. I think if it was about 25% less writing I would have liked it better.
(the other books I read that I enjoyed were Secrets of a Charmed Life, and As Bright As Heaven (this was about the Spanish Flu 1918. )

Old 03-11-2020, 08:14 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,415,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
Educated by Tara Westover
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post

Just finished the book. I liked it, but as the book went on, I started to have some doubts about the details that she remembered and whether or not they were totally accurate. Not that I don't believe the events in her life could have happened, but something about her writing made me wonder about some things as the book went on. There is a definite thread of mental illness in the book. We have bipolar issues in my family as well, so I'm sensitive to that. It bothered me at times, and at times it didn't. Some of the violent parts were difficult to get through. I find it interesting that she changed the first names of her parents and two of her siblings, but not the other siblings, and not the surname. Thus, it's very easy to search on the family members and see pictures. The family business is a very big deal. I haven't watched any of the videos of her interviews yet, but plan to do that.

Old 03-11-2020, 09:18 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times
Oops I meant to comment on the Educated and Glass Castle.
I read them both, and liked them both. They were an amazing look at people and their lives, that I don't think I ever get to see or interact with.
I thought they were both kind of hard to believe at parts, and I recall that with Educated, there was a bit of discussion in my book club that there is definitely some question as to the total reliability and accuracy. In any case, I still would believe that it is mostly accurate and true. It's just so hard to believe. I do think they were worth reading, but just be prepared for a sort of front row look at a real life Jerry Springer? (of course, the authors turned out amazingly successful and productive so that's a plus for sure_

Old 03-11-2020, 03:28 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
I just got back from a one-week vacation, which gave me a chance to catch up a little bit.

I finished reading T Singer by Dag Solstad. A pretty boring novel about a Norwegian librarian.

I read Such a Fun Age by Kiley Reid. It made kind of a splash and it deals with racial issues, but I thought it was pretty weak. Not recommended.

American by Day by Derek Miller. The sequel to Norwegian by Night, which focused on an old American Jewish war veteran who has just moved to Norway to live with his granddaughter and gets involved in trying to rescue a boy from a kidnapping. Where Norwegian by Night explores an American and how he looks at Norway with American eyes, American by Day is about a Norwegian police officer seeing America with Norwegian eyes when her father gets her to come and find her brother, who has disappeared. Recommended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books