Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2020, 06:48 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times

Advertisements

Read Rachel Maddow's book Blowout, which was terrific. Had to interrupt it briefly to re-read Bottle of Lies for my book club, which was just as good the second time around. Now reading Tightrope by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn. It's good and interesting, but I feel like it's just telling me a bunch of stuff I've already read before. I'm only about 1/3 of the way in, though, so we'll see if it offers anything new -- even if it doesn't it's still a good read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2020, 10:31 AM

329 posts, read 224,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Funny, I really enjoyed that book! Definitely unique, not just different, from anything else I’ve read. But I love black humor.
Pikabike, if you like black humor you might want to check out, "The Angel Makers," by Jessica Gregson.
From Wikipedia: "...based on the true story of The Angel Makers of Nagyrév, two Hungarian women who sold arsenic to unhappily married women to kill their husbands."

Admittedly, the subject matter would not seem to evoke chuckles, but, well, you have to read it to see for yourself. You won't be disappointed!

I sought this book out because of the country in which the story is based (Hungary); my maternal grandparents were among the many poor peasants who emigrated from that country in the very early 20th century. I remember reading about the "merry widows" of Hungary many years ago, and was recently surprised to find that a book based on these villagers had been written.

Old 03-12-2020, 10:34 AM

329 posts, read 224,763 times
Just finished reading, "In the Closet of the Vatican," by Frederic Martel, and have just started "Long Bright River" by Liz Moore.

Old 03-13-2020, 06:15 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,137,018 times
Put down We, the Drowned...

started

All Things Wise and Wonderful (All Creatures Great and Small #5-6), James Herriot 2004

Old 03-13-2020, 06:32 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Book 2 of Ember in the Ashes, Torch Against the Night. It's good, I like the series, but I need a genre change before I move on to the next book.

I'm switching of with George Carlin's When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops, but meh. I like him better as a live comedian.

Cycle of Arawyn on audio.... it's good... but like I said, I need to clear my mental palate with something else.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-13-2020, 08:20 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieThruTheGlass View Post
Pikabike, if you like black humor you might want to check out, "The Angel Makers," by Jessica Gregson.
From Wikipedia: "...based on the true story of The Angel Makers of Nagyrév, two Hungarian women who sold arsenic to unhappily married women to kill their husbands."

Admittedly, the subject matter would not seem to evoke chuckles, but, well, you have to read it to see for yourself. You won't be disappointed!

I sought this book out because of the country in which the story is based (Hungary); my maternal grandparents were among the many poor peasants who emigrated from that country in the very early 20th century. I remember reading about the "merry widows" of Hungary many years ago, and was recently surprised to find that a book based on these villagers had been written.
That sounds intriguing. Evoke chuckles?!?!?? I’m putting it on the to-read list. Wonder if that is how the term “merry widows” originated.

Old 03-14-2020, 11:40 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
A few of you have asked about My Dark Vanessa. I'm at 38% and it's taken a long time to get there. I'm bored with it, but I'm going to keep at it, at least for a little while longer, since the reviews are so good. I'm not sure what's not appealing to me -- the fact that it's a novel (I prefer memoir) or that it's Lolita v2.0 (and I already read v1.0). At 384 pages, it's a longer book than I typically gravitate to, so it feels like a slog for me. I'll keep you posted and let you know if I give up.

Old 03-15-2020, 08:58 AM

829 posts, read 410,848 times
Thanks to everyone who recommended "Homegoing" by Yaa Gyasi https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27071490-homegoing

I really needed a winner after SO MANY duds!

This was a winner!

Old 03-15-2020, 09:52 AM

759 posts, read 3,143,434 times
Listening to "Follow Me" by Kathleen Barber on Audible and it drew me in right away. I've been through a bunch of Audible books that I've returned after a few hours because they were dull and/or repetitive in their dullness.

What happened to book editors?

Old 03-15-2020, 09:58 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
About to start "In Search of the Canary Tree" by Lauren E. Oakes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books