Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2020, 05:32 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
A few of you have asked about My Dark Vanessa. I'm at 38% and it's taken a long time to get there. I'm bored with it, but I'm going to keep at it, at least for a little while longer, since the reviews are so good. I'm not sure what's not appealing to me -- the fact that it's a novel (I prefer memoir) or that it's Lolita v2.0 (and I already read v1.0). At 384 pages, it's a longer book than I typically gravitate to, so it feels like a slog for me. I'll keep you posted and let you know if I give up.
76% now and still feel the same as I noted above. And it's repetitive, which I loathe. I'll finish it -- I got this far, after all -- but I don't have high hopes of becoming a big fan in this last quarter. It's not *bad* -- I would have stopped a long time ago -- it's just [read previous post so *I* am not repetitive. ]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2020, 04:29 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
I just finished reading What I Saw at the Revolution: A Political Life in the Reagan Era by Peggy Noonan.

Peggy was a speechwriter for Presidents Reagan and Bush. I will buck the general adulation for this book. A bit too much "stream of consciousness" writing for me. I would have expected more from someone who writes rather well for the Wall Street Journal. That being said I plan to read her book about Pope John Paul II when the libraries reopen.

Old 03-16-2020, 04:42 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Wild, by Cheryl Strayed
The true story of a messed up young woman who hikes the Pacific Coast Trail in order to fix herself. To me, there are much easier ways to do it.

I don’t like, or understand, her as a person, so I’m not really enjoying the book that much.

Old 03-16-2020, 04:45 AM

228 posts, read 367,548 times
The ABC murders by Agatha Christie

Old 03-16-2020, 09:43 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Wild, by Cheryl Strayed
The true story of a messed up young woman who hikes the Pacific Coast Trail in order to fix herself. To me, there are much easier ways to do it.

I don’t like, or understand, her as a person, so I’m not really enjoying the book that much.
The point of it partly was NOT to take the easy or most immediately appealing way out. That much time spent alone yet still out in the bigger world (the primitive natural one) forces one to introspect a lot, certainly much more than staying alone in the safe but extremely limited bubble of the home turf would. It was also a good way to avoid the “bad influences” that she hung out with earlier. Those kinds of people tend not to take on long, difficult, delayed-gratification projects.

I saw the movie but have not yet read the book. Despite not liking some things she did, I admire her for recognizing that she had to change and did it.

Now, you want to read a book written by someone who did not figure it out at all, I can think of one I read and abhorred the author despite the fact that she could write very well. The only reason I am not naming her now is that she died last year, which I recently found out. At the time I finished the book, I posted a long review on amazon, being maybe too generous with the stars I did give. But I thought it was unfair to trash the book based on what I thought of the person (which would have rated her one star).

Last edited by pikabike; 03-16-2020 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: p

Old 03-16-2020, 10:18 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
The point of it partly was NOT to take the easy or most immediately appealing way out. That much time spent alone yet still out in the bigger world (the primitive natural one) forces one to introspect a lot, certainly much more than staying alone in the safe but extremely limited bubble of the home turf would. It was also a good way to avoid the “bad influences” that she hung out with earlier. Those kinds of people tend not to take on long, difficult, delayed-gratification projects.

I saw the movie but have not yet read the book. Despite not liking some things she did, I admire her for recognizing that she had to change and did it.

Now, you want to read a book written by someone who did not figure it out at all, I can think of one I read and abhorred the author despite the fact that she could write very well. The only reason I am not naming her now is that she died last year, which I recently found out. At the time I finished the book, I posted a long review on amazon, being maybe too generous with the stars I did give. But I thought it was unfair to trash the book based on what I thought of the person (which would have rated her one star).
To me, her journey just seemed like another version of her usual self sabotage.

Old 03-16-2020, 07:30 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
I finished My Dark Vanessa. Thank god that's over. It was okay but, in my opinion, fell far below all the hype it got, which was the only reason that I finished it. I thought the hype must've been about a powerful ending. Nope.

Back to memoir-ville I go.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:51 AM

831 posts, read 412,347 times
Just Finished "The Ditch" by Herman Koch https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/42041747-the-ditch

This was a 3.5 star read for me. I was disappointed by the "vague" ending where you were left somewhat confused at the end. But on the whole, I enjoyed the book.

"In the Thalys on the way down I'd leafed through an issue of Vrij Nederland, without reading a word. Then, with a sigh, I took the marker out of my book: page 170, a hundred and fifty left to go. When you watched a movie, you knew within ten minutes whether it was good or whether it was a piece of sh*t. With a book, that took a little longer: you gave the author the benefit of the doubt for fifty pages or so, but by page 170 you knew it was hopeless, that things could only get worse."

Old 03-17-2020, 11:32 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Just picked up the latest by one of my favorite writers from the library: Trace Elements by Donna Leon.

Old 03-17-2020, 01:42 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,092,097 times
FLU: The Story of the Great Influenza Epidemic of 1918 by Donald E. Knuth. I read it about five years ago and figured now would be a good time to re-read it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books