Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2020, 06:16 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse66 View Post
Just Finished "The Ditch" by Herman Koch https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/42041747-the-ditch

This was a 3.5 star read for me. I was disappointed by the "vague" ending where you were left somewhat confused at the end. But on the whole, I enjoyed the book.

"In the Thalys on the way down I'd leafed through an issue of Vrij Nederland, without reading a word. Then, with a sigh, I took the marker out of my book: page 170, a hundred and fifty left to go. When you watched a movie, you knew within ten minutes whether it was good or whether it was a piece of sh*t. With a book, that took a little longer: you gave the author the benefit of the doubt for fifty pages or so, but by page 170 you knew it was hopeless, that things could only get worse."
Yeah, I hated the ending. For me, it ruined the rest of the book, which wasn't bad. I'm an ending snob.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2020, 04:21 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,386,066 times
The Ghost Train to the Eastern Star is a slow but very interesting book. And since it's very heavy, it's parked next to my bed and I only read before going to sleep.

Also reading The Burning Air which seems to be a good suspense novel.

You all stay safe and take care!
Diana

Old 03-18-2020, 05:29 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Just picked up the latest by one of my favorite writers from the library...
Our local library is now closed for a month.

Old 03-18-2020, 07:34 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,799,413 times
Default Coming attractions

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Our local library is now closed for a month.
Yes, the lights are going out across the country.

See you all on the flip side.

Old 03-18-2020, 10:43 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post

One library here is totally closed, with the only communication allowed being e-mail to whatever staff person is handling those. Sounds like nobody at all is in the library, because dropping books off in the repository is also closed. Due dates are being suspended.

Another library is physically closed to the public, but at this point people can still put books in the book drop and have staff bring a reserved book outside. This is similar to what some restaurants are doing with take-out orders brought outside for pick-up.

The third library is closed but as of yesterday it was still OK to return books to the deposit box. That is how I returned a book due this Thursday. Must be staff inside still processing—no doubt sanitizing. At least the bums can’t lounge inside as normally happens! Usually at least one of them is coughing coughing coughing, too. I *always* try to keep my distance from them both for disease prevention and to avoid being “studied” as a potential “sponsor” of their self-destructive choices.

Right at home I have quite a few purchased books that await my reading them. This is a good time to start catching up on those, as well as some home improvement things and creative projects. And then I can get more books later! Those of us who are introverts do not feel isolated at all.

Now imagine if there were no Internet or telephone connectivity. That would affect almost everybody at least a little.

Old 03-18-2020, 07:15 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Nobody Will Tell You This But Me: A true (as told to me) story by Bess Kalb. I just started it -- just 15% in -- and it's already lovely, especially if you're Jewish (which I am). I miss my Bubby (grandma in Yiddish).

Last edited by DawnMTL; 03-18-2020 at 07:46 PM..

Old 03-18-2020, 09:23 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times
Re-Reads for me lately:
Tom Clancy, all I can beg borrow or steal.
Larry McMurtry, starting with LONESOME DOVE for about the fifth time.
John . Ross, UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES, if the concept of 2nd amendment rights isn't of interest to you don't read it.
Since my eyes are really bothering me I have been doing audio books on YouTube they are great.
I am glad we have such a fantastic library system here in Lincoln, Nebraska.

This PANDEMIC is going to change things drastically in the USA. Right now we are operating in a PANIC mode. I hope we have enough citizens that have the coping skills to handle it. I am carrying around about fifty XTRA pounds so I will probably not starve to death within six months and with a few thousand feet of plastic wrap and a shovel drinking water will not be a problem. Ironic isn't it that the "doomsday preppers" of two years ago aren't such idiots now.

Old 03-19-2020, 09:44 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post

Ours are closed indefinitely. I feel sorry for our homeless citizens who are allowed to spend time in our libraries. Luckily, my favorite pursuits are reading and gardening.

Last edited by tigerlily; 03-19-2020 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: Addition

Old 03-19-2020, 10:32 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Ours are closed indefinitely. I feel sorry for our homeless citizens who are allowed to spend time in our libraries. Luckily, my favorite pursuits are reading and gardening.
At least some of the bums in our library are not homeless. They are bussed into town from their place of residence, regularly. Some of them will put things at computer desks to hold their place while they periodically leave (which is expressly forbidden) to go outside and drink more before returning to the seat. Some days the fumes coming off them are so strong that it’s a good thing nobody lights up inside.

We also have a homeless shelter. They take in even the jerks who won’t live by the rules required at the next-closest homeless shelter.

Libraries are intended to be places to read and study, not sleep off hangovers or trade “goods.”

Old 03-19-2020, 12:50 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
At least some of the bums in our library are not homeless. They are bussed into town from their place of residence, regularly. Some of them will put things at computer desks to hold their place while they periodically leave (which is expressly forbidden) to go outside and drink more before returning to the seat. Some days the fumes coming off them are so strong that it’s a good thing nobody lights up inside.

We also have a homeless shelter. They take in even the jerks who won’t live by the rules required at the next-closest homeless shelter.

Libraries are intended to be places to read and study, not sleep off hangovers or trade “goods.”
Sorry. I’ve never heard anyone complain at my library. We ‘ve had homeless families that our library supported.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books