Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2020, 01:42 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I finished My Dark Vanessa. Thank god that's over. It was okay but, in my opinion, fell far below all the hype it got, which was the only reason that I finished it. I thought the hype must've been about a powerful ending. Nope.
I'm disappointed to hear this. That one was on my radar, although I don't have it yet.

I finished a book called A Good Neighborhood, which is new and got a lot of hype. I was severely disappointed. The book is just ridiculous. It's supposed to explore racial issues, and like so many books that attempt this, it does it very poorly.

I'm almost halfway through Erik Larson's latest book, The Splendid and the Vile. It's about Churchill and England in general from May, 1940 to May, 1941. It's interesting, and I like it (although I can't say I totally love it). It's pretty much what I expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 01:57 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I'm disappointed to hear this. That one was on my radar, although I don't have it yet.

I finished a book called A Good Neighborhood, which is new and got a lot of hype. I was severely disappointed. The book is just ridiculous. It's supposed to explore racial issues, and like so many books that attempt this, it does it very poorly.

I'm almost halfway through Erik Larson's latest book, The Splendid and the Vile. It's about Churchill and England in general from May, 1940 to May, 1941. It's interesting, and I like it (although I can't say I totally love it). It's pretty much what I expected.
Don't get me wrong; it's not a BAD book. It's just a typical novel (and I'm not a big fan of novels), it's repetitive (a big pet peeve of mine), and smacks of Lolita (which is referenced often in My Dark Vanessa, almost as if the author is trying to show that it's nothing like Lolita).

As a character(s) study, it's better than average but I had to suspend my disbelief too often, there were holes in the story (or maybe it got "lost" and should have been tighter). I might not be the best person to review this book, seeing as it got so many 5-star ratings. I don't do the star thing anywhere but, if I did, I guess I'd give it 3.25. If it weren't for the hype, I wouldn't have finished it.

Old 03-21-2020, 03:08 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
I'm reading An Idiot's Guide To 3D Printing, every now and then I like to throw a little confusion into my mix.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:08 AM

2,149 posts, read 1,516,220 times
James Pattersons "London Bridges"...Alex Cross vs the Wolf and the Weasel...

Old 03-22-2020, 05:55 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Failing eyesight and you still go hunting? Is that safe?
Safe? Is anything safe?
Don't worry my hunting days are over. I operate out of a wheelchair now.
My eye problems are temporary I hope. A cyst in my eyelid that my Doctor will be removing in April.

I do my shooting at an indoor range now and with my .22 handgun I still do OK.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:14 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,618 times
Ocean: The World's Last Wilderness Revealed
Such a fascinating read so far!

Old 03-23-2020, 07:01 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,185,741 times
Connected: The Surprising Power of Our Social Networks and How They Shape Our Lives -- How Your Friends' Friends' Friends Affect Everything You Feel, Think, and Do by Nicholas A. Christakis and James H. Fowler.

Old 03-23-2020, 04:29 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Our local library is now closed for a month.

My library's 'closed' but we can still reserve books/DVDs/CDs online and when they're available we just need to drive down and park in front of the library, call and let them know we're there, and someone comes out and puts your reserve(s) on a table out front, they go back inside and we go home with the goods.

They're Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeat!

Old 03-23-2020, 07:58 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
Diane Keaton's "Brother and Sister", short read, interesting but not extraordinary.

Old 03-24-2020, 06:50 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Just finished "A Reluctant Bride" by Jody Hedlund, my last library book. It was a typical romance novel, which I don't care for, but it did give a glimpse into the London slums of the middle 1800's. If you like romance novels you might enjoy it. Going to see what my library has to offer online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books