Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2020, 06:56 AM

26,720 posts, read 26,787,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Diane Keaton's "Brother and Sister", short read, interesting but not extraordinary.
The reviews of that look good; thanks for the suggestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 07:37 AM

829 posts, read 411,263 times
Just finished "Everyone Brave is Forgiven" by Chris Cleave https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ve-is-forgiven

This was a 3 star read for me.

I already had 2 DNF's from my last library run, but now I may have to revisit them, since the libraries are closed now...In hindsight I wish I had check out the allotted 50 books maximum. I am now sitting with only 4 left to read!

Old 03-25-2020, 08:34 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,304,488 times
I was able to set up my online account at our local library. I'm reading "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" by Maya Angelou.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:00 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I wish! I envy you. All we have is a portable unit to return any books we checked out before the closure.

Believe me, I know just how fortunate the people of my county are to have our library system. Besides books, E-books, DVDs, CDs, audio-books, etc. they have a very helpful, dedicated staff that puts on a number of different programs for children. Shopping's very sporadic at the moment but I need to find some fancy cookies or something to bring the local staff next time one of my reserves becomes available, they never fail to go the extra mile when a little help is needed. Gas is less than $2.00/gal and of course we can't go anywhere so access to books, movies, and new music has been a good thing.

Old 03-25-2020, 01:26 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I was able to set up my online account at our local library. I'm reading "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" by Maya Angelou.
Chiluvr--that is awesome. I am such a fan of ebooks and borrowing from the library. Nowadays, it's just P*E*R*F*E*C*T*I*O*N***
I so appreciate the borrowing at any time of day or night and not leaving the house!!!!

Old 03-25-2020, 10:28 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Although I don't know exactly what "integrated" really means. I mean, if few black people actually live in the geographic area, then there won't be a lot of black kids in the schools. This is sadly the case in many communities.

Maybe Reese is typecast, but she actually produces a lot of these shows. So she can put herself in any role she'd like. I believe she herself bought the rights to Big Little Lies and also Little Fires, so she could cast herself in whatever role she sees fit. And if she bought rights to a different book, she could put herself in a different type of role.

Never been a fan of Reese although I thought she was decent in The Morning Show. Shaker Heights has been recognized as one of the early leaders in integrating schools beginning in the 1960’s. There have been problems as indicated in this article. My relative is featured in this article Stats: 48% African American, 40% Caucasia, 12% Asian. I wonder if Reese read this very informative article for background in The NYT. My parents were victims of white flight.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...h/?arc404=true

Old 03-26-2020, 11:45 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Never been a fan of Reese although I thought she was decent in The Morning Show. Shaker Heights has been recognized as one of the early leaders in integrating schools beginning in the 1960’s. There have been problems as indicated in this article. My relative is featured in this article Stats: 48% African American, 40% Caucasia, 12% Asian. I wonder if Reese read this very informative article for background in The NYT. My parents were victims of white flight.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...h/?arc404=true
It's funny that you posted that link because my friend from college wrote it. That's the crux of the issue -- integration doesn't necessarily mean true integration.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:01 PM

4,936 posts, read 3,311,281 times
Colour Garden - Malcolm Hillier.Beautiful pictures and short pieces of text, a very relaxing book in these current times.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:27 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,301 times
Sandstorm by James Rollins
I think I found my new series!

Old 03-28-2020, 12:32 AM

385 posts, read 205,536 times
I am way behind in my reading, however I did just complete reading Gone Girl finally. I found it interesting in a good way. I did not realize it was written in 2012! I did not read as much as I do now and I kept finding so many great books to read besides Gone Girl.

Anyways, now I am reading The Holdout by Graham Moore. Next I think I will read You Are Not Alone by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books