Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2020, 05:29 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times

Advertisements

With all of what is going on I found it easier to fall asleep to a show than to read. But I am almost finished with Circe, and I love it, but I love mythology. My audio book is How Not to Diet by Michael Greger, which is my favorite go-to guy for nutrition info, and this is definitely more of nutrition book.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2020, 06:06 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,706,383 times
I'm working my way through Philip Roth's The Plot Against America - I want to watch the HBO miniseries, which is airing now, and the book was on my nightstand to-read stack, and I figured I should read the novel first. The premise of the book is that Charles Lindbergh defeats FDR in the 1940 election, leading to U.S. rapprochement with Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan, and increasing anti-Semitism both socially and officially in America.

Old 04-05-2020, 06:08 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
I'm working my way through Philip Roth's The Plot Against America - I want to watch the HBO miniseries, which is airing now, and the book was on my nightstand to-read stack, and I figured I should read the novel first. The premise of the book is that Charles Lindbergh defeats FDR in the 1940 election, leading to U.S. rapprochement with Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan, and increasing anti-Semitism both socially and officially in America.
Added to my list!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-05-2020, 06:21 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
I am reading "Everyday Millionaires" by Chris Hogan and "Why A students work for C students and B students work for the Government" by Robert Kiyosaki.

Old 04-05-2020, 06:54 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
I read this years ago, and I did like it, as I found the premise very intriguing. I do remember that I was disappointed in the way Roth resolves the Lindbergh presidency and that things after that would be different than he sets out in the book. But I realized that while I remember that kind of macro issue about Lindbergh and FDR/ the real historical figures, and anti-Semitism, that I don't actually remember anything about what happens to any of the actual characters in the book. I remember Philip was in the book as a little boy, but I can't remember almost anything of what he and his family do. So I can't recall whether the HBO series is faithful to the novel or not.

Old 04-05-2020, 07:04 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I have been having the hardest time reading lately, but just started Beloved for a future book club ( if we ever do meet again....). I had heard such glowing praise for this book. It's a struggle but I am going to force myself to read it. I hope it gets better, and that I can finish it and maybe enjoy it, and then get back to reading.
Lots of book clubs have been meeting via Zoom -- is that an option for you? Mine met this way last week and it worked pretty well. In person is still better, but this was a pretty good alternative. And it was nice to be able to still talk with others this way. My neighborhood book club is meeting tomorrow and we're doing it via Zoom.

Speaking of which, we're discussing Such a Fun Age. I recall someone here mentioned they were disappointed in it, but I just finished it today and I loved it. It was nice to read a book that deals realistically with racial issues, yet doesn't involve black people being totally destroyed or killed by thoroughly evil white people. I very much appreciated the nuanced relationships. There is one hard to believe coincidence that sets up a major plot point, but I had to accept it and move on because otherwise the story couldn't continue -- some of the standard suspension of disbelief that I often have to invoke to enjoy shows/novels/movies, so that didn't really bother me.

Old 04-06-2020, 01:10 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times
The Brass Verdict (Mickey Haller #2), Michael Connelly 2008.

Old 04-06-2020, 06:15 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times
I read The Plot against America within the past few months and thought it was a great story. I didn't find the writing too easy to read, but I did enjoy it a lot. Definitely worth reading.
Re zoom book club- I am in 3 or 4 book clubs, and 2 of them are going to try zoom. I may try it with one of them, but I had said that my preference is to wait until we can meet in person. The one I will try to join in has divided the group into smaller numbers so I think that may be more appealing.
I used to read each and every book for each of the book clubs, but with this distraction I am not doing that. Beloved is I think the May book for one of the clubs so I figured I would tackle that.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:38 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I read The Plot against America within the past few months and thought it was a great story. I didn't find the writing too easy to read, but I did enjoy it a lot. Definitely worth reading.
Re zoom book club- I am in 3 or 4 book clubs, and 2 of them are going to try zoom. I may try it with one of them, but I had said that my preference is to wait until we can meet in person. The one I will try to join in has divided the group into smaller numbers so I think that may be more appealing.
I used to read each and every book for each of the book clubs, but with this distraction I am not doing that. Beloved is I think the May book for one of the clubs so I figured I would tackle that.
It is a great story by Philip Roth adapted from the book by the creators of The Wire. The four part series aired on HBO. The last episode tonight.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:40 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
If anyone is looking for an absolutely gorgeous novel, one in which there are many sentences -- many -- that you will read twice or three times because they are so perfect, this is it: Feast Your Eyes by Myla Goldberg.
I put on hold. Very much enjoyed her first book, Bee Season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books