Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2020, 02:45 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,031,187 times

Advertisements

Water Music, by T.C. Boyle. It's a fantastic read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2020, 03:34 PM

5,132 posts, read 4,482,937 times
Back to Blood by Tom Wolfe

Tom Wolfe is always so entertaining. I’m anticipating a wonderful journey with this one.

Old 05-17-2020, 04:10 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I finished The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Amim. It’s a quiet book and doesn’t require much concentration. Well written with highly developed characters. Only 149 pages. Delightful
I got this and will be starting it. I had to look up to see where I saw it suggested, so apparently it was pretty recent and it was right here. When a book catches my attention I often add it to my goodreads want to read list and check to see if (especially NOW -covid times) it is available as an ebook from the library.
I guess I requested it all of maybe 10 days ago and it is now available so I will start it next.

Last night I finished Code Girls, which overall I rate a 3 star book. I think the actual story was amazing and well worth the read, but it did have LOTS of technical stuff (which my eyes glaze over) and LOTS of history which was interesting. It's worth reading for sure, but I would just preface with saying there will be parts that are dragging and I glossed over them.
Really if I think about the story , it's actually a very important one that most of us are probably quite unfamiliar with.

Old 05-17-2020, 11:30 AM

829 posts, read 411,263 times
Finished "Five-Carat Soul" by James McBride https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ive-carat-soul

This was a 3.5 star read for me. It is a collection of short stories.

"Here...thenceforward...forever-more...free"

Them four words just lingers in my mind. They floats about me from day today. Just four words they is. But powerful enough. Righteous, I'd say. Them four words got bones in 'em! They say, 'Stop the train! We ain't going no further! It's over! Quit it! Har up that mule! Git off! Clip it! Ship out your troubles! Stop everything!'"

Old 05-17-2020, 06:32 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,970 times
Well, I finished up Anna K, which is a novel reimagining Anna Karenina in a Manhattan teen setting. (Some categorize this as YA, some don't because there is lots of sex and heavy drug use.) I don't think it really worked -- I think it either needed to be more loosely (i.e. less) based on the Anna Karenina story, or the characters needed to be 10 years older. (I think it actually could have potentially worked really well with characters who were about 25.) I liked some of the mirrors to the story, but ultimately, I don't think I would have liked it on its own if I hadn't read Anna Karenina, because too many things would have seemed too strange for these teen characters to do.

I gave it a solid middlin' rating -- 3/5 on goodreads, 4/7 on my personal scale. I think it could make for a very interesting discussion if you have people who have read both novels.

I'm now onto a novel called Beach Read, which has gotten rave reviews on the Book of the Month Facebook pages I follow. My idea of a good beach read would be a heavy history analysis, because I think beach time provides for great concentrated reading time -- so the opposite of what most people consider "beach reads" which are generally books I stay away from. So the title of this one, combined with a cover that kind of appears light and fun, plus the fact that it is a type of romance novel made me not even consider reading it before I heard all of these people rave about it, saying that it was a different kind of book and people who don't like romance novels liked this one. So, I will see.

Old 05-17-2020, 10:46 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,139,402 times
Path of the Assassin (Scot Harvath #2), Brad Thor 2003. Started with #1, this is Scot Harvath #2. Twenty in the series - should keep me busy lol.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:31 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
Path of the Assassin (Scot Harvath #2), Brad Thor 2003. Started with #1, this is Scot Harvath #2. Twenty in the series - should keep me busy lol.
I've read both of the first two books. They're certainly entertaining and solid reads.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:46 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,683,192 times
Sandra Brown's Smoke Screen. I enjoy these crime mysteries and Sandra is a good writer.

Old 05-19-2020, 08:35 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
I just finished Ecology of a Cracker Childhood by Janisse Ray. I read this book over 15 years ago and was happy to spend more time with it. The author is a naturalist who interweaves her story of growing up in rural South Georgia with her research and love for long-leaf pines. If you have any interest in trees, ecology and the South, I highly recommend this one!

Old 05-19-2020, 09:10 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,907,440 times
I just finished Year of Wonders -- Geraldine Brooks and in spite of the horrendous subject, enjoyed it. It's the fictionalized true story of an English town that decided to quarantine itself in the middle of the 1664/5 Black Plague pandemic. I really enjoyed the writing and in spite of the fact that it was written in 2001, the comparisons to our lives in the days of CV-19 are startling and prescient.

Finished The School of Essential Ingredients -- Erica Bauermeister before this. An enjoyable, gentle read for these stressful times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books