Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2020, 11:21 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times

Advertisements

I just started The Mother-in-Law by Sally Hepworth. Unfortunately, I realized that she wrote Secrets of the Midwives which I really didn't like (nor did I finish it) because it was too fluffy for me. I hope this one is better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2020, 09:34 AM

8,753 posts, read 5,050,099 times
Just read Suspicion.....by Joseph Finder. It was my first read, with this author...it won`t be my last.

Old 07-17-2020, 02:48 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I just started The Mother-in-Law by Sally Hepworth. Unfortunately, I realized that she wrote Secrets of the Midwives which I really didn't like (nor did I finish it) because it was too fluffy for me. I hope this one is better!
I really liked The Mother In Law. I don't know the other one you mentioned but I hope you do like this one. I recommended it to a few people and they liked it as wel.

Old 07-18-2020, 12:00 AM

3,836 posts, read 1,784,958 times
I just started "The boy who followed his father into Auschwitz" --

https://www.harpercollins.com/produc...32205680246818

Old 07-18-2020, 01:53 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,415,867 times
Just finished Andre Agassi's autobiography Open and enjoyed it.

Old 07-18-2020, 08:01 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,499,104 times
I'm almost halfway through The Institute by Stephen King. I'm conflicted on it. I like the overall story/subject matter and I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out. But man King is just vomiting pop culture references every chance he gets, it's really forcdedand cringey most of the time. In addition, the dialogue coming from the kids' mouths leads me to believe King hasn't spoken to a kid in 20 years. I'm going to stick with it, but it's testing my patience.

Old 07-19-2020, 04:25 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times
I finished The Bookwoman of Troublesome Creek and would recommend it. Historical fiction, very interesting and well done.
I also devoured The Dutch House and loved that! The only other book I had read by Ann Patchett is Bel Canto , which I liked and thought was well written, but I never thought it was as good as most people did.
The Dutch House took me a little bit to get into , but once I was in, I was hooked.

Old 07-19-2020, 04:28 AM

50 posts, read 45,082 times
I'm love literature a lot. Right now I have been reading '17th Centure literature'

Old 07-19-2020, 09:13 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Lol. I liked This Tender Land. I've kind of compared it to Crawdads, in that a lot of people seemed to love Crawdads (which I liked but didn't love -- I liked Tender Land more), in that it's historical fiction, involving young people keeping themselves alive. Some groups I'm in get a lot of questions from people who say they just finished Crawdads and loved it, and what could they read next? I feel like most people who loved Crawdads should at least like Tender Land.

But TOTALLY agree with Gone Girl -- I saw so many books compared to it, and never saw any comparison whatsoever. Anything with an unreliable narrator was called the new Gone Girl, no matter how different the story. And any thriller or mystery also got slapped with "just like Gone Girl."
I've finally gotten Tender Land. The first of it was so hard to read - awful. I've read stuff about orphanages during that era, and it's just unbelievable the way we thought it was appropriate to treat innocent orphans. Anyway, finally got to the point where they're in the canoe, so hopefully it will get easier from here! Thanks for the recommendation!

Old 07-19-2020, 05:01 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I've finally gotten Tender Land. The first of it was so hard to read - awful. I've read stuff about orphanages during that era, and it's just unbelievable the way we thought it was appropriate to treat innocent orphans. Anyway, finally got to the point where they're in the canoe, so hopefully it will get easier from here! Thanks for the recommendation!
Hope you enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books