U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2010, 03:13 PM

32,524 posts, read 35,448,089 times

Advertisements

I'm only on page 28 of MENNONITE in a LITTLE BLACK DRESS by Rhoda Janzen and I've laughed so hard I think I pulled something.

To any woman out there who has ever come home from the hospital with a bag of pee strapped to your leg (you know who you are - it's a very special little club we belong to) buy this book. If you are too cheap to buy this book or this rotten economy has left you as strapped as the rest of us, go to Barnes and Noble or your local library and pick up this book. Start reading at page seven. Warning: Do not do this while sipping your latte because it's all going to fly right out of your nose.

You are welcome. Enjoy the rest of your day! Me? I have a new favorite author.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 01:20 AM

14,108 posts, read 2,663,228 times
I just started on The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:21 AM

32,524 posts, read 35,448,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulips4you2 View Post
One of my favorite books of all time!!

(The movie is lovely as well.)

Old 05-06-2010, 10:27 AM

42,661 posts, read 83,163,564 times
Just picked up Jonathan Raban's "Surveillance", in a hurry. Started out like a routine potboiler, but I'm 1/3 through and although I have no idea yet where it's going, it's still keeping my interest. A little bit wordy with some political blunt instruments, but still readable so far. Intelligent writer, but only average on the prose. Only his third novel, most of Raban's work has been travel non-fiction.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:39 AM

16,005 posts, read 19,492,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulips4you2 View Post
I really liked that book. McCullers did such a great job of invoking a time and a place.

Currently reading The Book Thief by Marcus Zuzak. I didn't realize it was YA fiction. Enjoying it so far.

Old 05-07-2010, 03:20 PM

467 posts, read 1,148,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
I loved The Fountainhead
Good book!

I'm almost done rereading American Psycho.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:05 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,071,507 times
Cashflow quadrant, really good one.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:32 PM

42,661 posts, read 83,163,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Just picked up Jonathan Raban's "Surveillance", in a hurry. Started out like a routine potboiler, but I'm 1/3 through and although I have no idea yet where it's going, it's still keeping my interest. A little bit wordy with some political blunt instruments, but still readable so far. Intelligent writer, but only average on the prose. Only his third novel, most of Raban's work has been travel non-fiction.
I've now finished this, and it turned into a can't-put-it-down book, but the ending was extremely disappointing.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:11 PM

220 posts, read 259,857 times
I finished The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. It's a wonderful book about a woman whose cancer cells were taken in a biopsy in 1951 and used for research without her knowing. The cells turned out to be the first immortal (never dying) line of human cells, and were used, and are still being used, in developing many scientific breakthroughs, the first breakthrough being the polio vaccine. I initially thought the book would just talk about Henrietta Lacks, her background, and then the specifics about her cells, but it was much more than that. To me, the book was not only about Ms. Lacks and her cells, but about her family, when the family found about the cell line and how it affected them, and the author's experiences with the family and writing the book. Once I read the book in that context I was really touched by it. It also made you think about the ethics of using cells and tissues without the knowledge of the donor. Should people get paid for what science uses?

Here's the New York Times' review of the book:
Book Review - 'The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks,' by Rebecca Skloot - Review - NYTimes.com

Next up is Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:52 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,247,250 times
Black Order by James Rollins
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books