Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2008, 10:03 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,974,876 times

Advertisements

Currently Reading: Blood & Thunder. About the conquest of the American West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 10:53 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,608,418 times
just finished james patterson's newest..7th Heaven. currently reading the fifth vial by palmer.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:38 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,551,193 times
Just finished "The New Castle" by Malachi Martin.

Working on "Joan of Arc" by Mark Twain and "The Last Mrs. Astor". Also paging thru "Quo Vadis" but I keep putting that one away then picking it up again......no wonder I rarely finish a book in a short time....

Old 02-27-2008, 11:26 PM

60 posts, read 162,772 times
Currently I'm reading "A Million Little Pieces" by James Frey.

Interesting read

Old 03-01-2008, 03:21 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,191,123 times
Currently reading "I'll be seeing you" by Mary Higgins Clark.
Although I get the strange feeling I read it before, long ago. I read way too many books so I sometimes end up reading them twice while trying to remember if i read it before. lol

Old 03-01-2008, 07:34 PM

335 posts, read 1,529,710 times
Just finished "I'm the One that I Want," which is Margaret Cho's autobiography. Great book. She really is a fantastic writer, and very honest about her own experiences. As a young girl in school, she was ridiculed, hated, and shunned. Heartbreaking stuff. When she got older, her self esteem was so painfully low. She was a drunk and a drug addict, became obsessed with men, slept around, and essentially tried to destroy herself. One morning, after another night of binge drinking, her and her boyfriend awoke to a wet spot in the middle of the bed. They couldn't figure out which of the two of them peed the bed. It was a sobering moment, and from then on her life started to change...

###

Old 03-02-2008, 05:24 PM

98 posts, read 372,745 times
A HISTORY OF RUSSIA, Vol. 2, 7th ed.
Riasanovsky & Steinberg

Old 03-03-2008, 10:09 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,414,280 times
Default Need to amend my reading right now. . .

In addition to Brokaw's BOOM!, I have finally started Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth, and am really enjoying it, too. I don't think I've read any of his work, previously, and I like his style of writing, and enjoy the Medieval period setting. The characters seem real, and alive, to me, and the story both believable as well as interesting. I understand some people like it, others hate it, and others find it hard to get into, but then either like it eventually or abandon it.

I am also sharing Eckhart Tolle's A New Earth with my husband, and we have had some interesting discussions. We think a lot alike, of course, largely as spouses, I guess, but we each tweak our own arguments to share with the other. It's been fun. I admit I picked the book up, largely because of all of the hype surrounding it right now. Will anyone be reading the work three months from now? Six? I don't know.

I've also been intrigued by the discussion of a lot of other titles here on the forum. Thanks, fellow bibliophiles.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:15 AM

1,722 posts, read 3,739,330 times
I finished reading Duma Key the other day. It wasn't a bad story but it's a heck of a lot better than Cell was.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:21 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,414,280 times
Loyal King fan, here. Been reading him since my college days. UGH, but I really disliked The Cell, too. I put it with a few others I didn't much care for, on the shelves with my collection of his stuff.

I just felt like there was nothing there, other than a intriguing concept -- the cell phone being the source of 'the evil.' The ending stunk majorly, as the kids say.

Glad to hear Duma Key is better. I have that here, too, along with Blaze. At some point, I'd like to pick up his son's book, just to see how he compares to dear old Dad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books