Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2020, 08:35 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,076 times

Advertisements

I am about 3/4 through The Ones We Choose by Julie Clark. I Will Finish.

This book had all the ingredients of a winner for me - I'm a sucker for a debut novel. My work revolves around pediatric genetics. The cover art is pretty perfect. I was soooo intrigued and then soooo disappointed. The writing is pretty amateurish and the characters are flat/stereotypical. This is the story of a single mother who is a geneticist who chooses to have a child through an anonymous sperm donor with all the mystery and intrigue and potential conflict that could arise from that life choice. But all of that isn't enough for this first time author who then has to dump a bag of literary tricks and unbelievable coincidences and plot twists on the reader. I am going to finish this one just so I know what happens at the end even though I'm grabbing 2 and 3 pages at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2020, 06:33 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,419,194 times
I thought I had posted earlier, but (did a search because my memory is less than crisp at the moment,) see that I did not. I am reading Miss Buncle's Book by D.E. Stevenson. It's been on my radar for a while and was able to get it in e-version ( but not kindle) from the library. It's wonderful. I am excited that there are a few in the series (though not looking good for the library to have them all in e book form).
It's a really sweet and funny and enjoyable English village cast of characters tale.

Old 10-14-2020, 07:08 AM

829 posts, read 411,855 times
Just finished "Circe" by Madeline Miller https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35959740-circe

This is a fantasy book and I loved it. For me it was a 4.5 star read. Really great descriptive writing. I also came across many "coincidences" in the book (mainly WORDS that she used) and that always makes it a more personal read for me.

"I looked again into that forest. Yesterday--was it only yesterday?--I had waited for someone to come and tell me it was safe. But who would that be? My father, Aeetes? That is what exile meant: no one was coming, no one ever would. There was fear in that knowledge, but after my long night of terrors it felt small and inconsequential. The worst of my cowardice had been sweated out. In its place was a giddy spark. I will not be like a bird bred in a cage, I thought, too dull to fly even when the door stands open.

I stepped into those woods and my life began."

"Daedalus did not long outlive his son. His limbs turned gray and nerveless, and all his strength was transmuted into smoke. I had no right to claim him, I knew it. But in a solitary life, there are rare moments when another soul dips near yours, as stars once a year brush the earth. Such a constellation was he to me."

Old 10-15-2020, 03:07 AM

101 posts, read 38,186 times
Basic Witch (Gemma Bradbury Magical Cozy Mysteries #1) by Harmony Hart
https://goodreads.com/book/show/37805036-basic-witch
Welcome to Salem, where paranormals of all kinds live in harmony. Mostly.
My name is Gemma Bradbury, and I’ve spent most of my life trying to be what everyone else expects me to be. The problem with living my life for other people is that I never figured out who I really am.
But then I stumbled—quite literally—into a new life in Salem, and everything changed. In less than an hour, I was tangled up in the suspicious death of an elderly shop owner, realized my cat can talk, and—here's the kicker—found out I’m a witch.
I also found out I was stuck in Salem.
Forever.
But when I secured a job and a place to live, and the Coven assigned me a magical tutor—the drop-dead gorgeous Professor Beauregard Bacchus— things started to look up.
All I have to do now is learn to navigate a new town full of witches, vampires and shifters, manage a magic shop, pass my first wand exam, and keep my growing affection for Professor Beau a secret.
Oh, and find the shop owner’s real killer before the town’s bumbling moose-shifter deputy tosses me in jail for murder.
Guess my life isn’t so basic anymore.
Fans of witty cozy mysteries will love this magical tale featuring a reluctant female sleuth, an opinionated feline familiar and a touch of romance set in a quaint (and gossipy) supernatural village.
Note: This book contains lighthearted humor and recipes and is free of swearing, graphic violence, and sex.

Old 10-15-2020, 05:35 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Blowout : corrupted democracy, rogue state Russia, and the richest, most destructive industry on Earth / Rachel Maddow, c2019, Crown/Random House, 338.2728 MADD.

Subjects
Tillerson, Rex W., -- 1952- -- Ethics.
Gas industry -- Corrupt practices.
Gas industry -- Corrupt practices -- Russia.
Gas companies -- Corrupt practices.
Russia (Federation)

Summary
"Rachel Maddow's Blowout offers a dark, serpentine, riveting tour of the unimaginably lucrative and corrupt oil-and-gas industry. With her trademark black humor, Maddow takes us on a switchback journey around the globe-from Oklahoma City to Siberia to Equatorial Guinea-exposing the greed and incompetence of Big Oil and Gas. She shows how Russia's rich reserves of crude have, paradoxically, stunted its growth, forcing Putin to maintain his power by spreading Russia's rot into its rivals, its neighbors, the United States, and the West's most important alliances. Chevron, BP, and a host of other industry players get their star turn, but ExxonMobil and the deceptively well-behaved Rex Tillerson emerge as two of the past century's most consequential corporate villains. The oil-and-gas industry has weakened democracies in developed and developing countries, fouled oceans and rivers, and propped up authoritarian thieves and killers. But being outraged at it is, according to Maddow, "like being indignant when a lion takes down and eats a gazelle. You can't really blame the lion. It's in her nature.""-- Provided by publisher.

Length
xxi, 406 pages ; notes on sources, index

Another terrifying book. Big oil intends to drill every last barrel of oil & cubic foot of natural gas, even as the World collapses. It’s the money, don’t you see? Tightly written, a history of extraction & the riches (& woes) that always accompany it. A very readable history.
Both Rachel Maddow's books are scary reads, both Blowout and Drift, I've read both of them! Her books are an education in themselves, and will haunt you afterwards.

Old 10-15-2020, 02:02 PM

2,341 posts, read 613,440 times
I just finished The Forgotten Girl by David Bell. First of his that I have read. I enjoyed it. I'm next going to re-read a Daniel Silva Gabriel Allon book, just not sure which one.

Old 10-15-2020, 02:11 PM

4,725 posts, read 4,419,194 times
I finished Miss Buncle and it was really so delightful. I have few other books in the queue now, but happy that Miss Buncle has a few more in the series and I look forward to them. Highly recommend.
Years and years ago I read Mapp and Lucia and this was sort of reminiscent of that series too. I remember just stumbling on it and adoring it.

Old 10-16-2020, 12:15 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,386,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I finished Miss Buncle and it was really so delightful. I have few other books in the queue now, but happy that Miss Buncle has a few more in the series and I look forward to them. Highly recommend.
Years and years ago I read Mapp and Lucia and this was sort of reminiscent of that series too. I remember just stumbling on it and adoring it.

Thank you for sharing this. It seems quite the thing my mom and I would enjoy

I finished The Information Officer by Mark Mills. It was quite okay. Most of all I liked that the story was situated on Malta which we visited last year so some places were familiar and I enjoyed looking up others.

Now I'm reading two books at the same time. I'm carrying Around the World in 80 Days with me and I really enjoy it so far. My first Jules Verne book
I also started The Sunlight Pilgrims which is a little confusing at the beginning but it has a kind of apocalyptic, climate fiction feeling about it which I always like.

Maybe I'll get some proper reading time next week when the kids have autumn holidays and we'll have a short trip into the woods with friends.

Have a good weekend!

Old 10-16-2020, 09:41 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,770 times
Still working my way through Alexander Hamilton. Had to pause it to read The Girl With The Louding Voice for my book club. I had heard many raves about, so maybe my expectations were too high, but I was a little disappointed. I still liked it but didn't love it, and it isn't one that I'm going to shout from the rooftops that everyone should read.

Old 10-17-2020, 10:50 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,076 times
I just started Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson. Did I learn of this book here? I wish I could remember why I add a book to my Goodreads list! page 7 - so far, so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books