Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2021, 04:30 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Small Gods by Terry Pratchett.
LOVE Terry Pratchett!!!!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 02:22 PM

4,725 posts, read 4,420,706 times
To update, I finished Shuggie Bain the other day. I am not sure how I feel about it; it was a very good book, but it was not a real pleasure to read it. The story line was just tragic and while there definitely uplifting parts and happy times, it was a troubling read. It was very well written and I do believe the character development was pretty good as well. It also did win awards.
I had a hard time with a lot of the Scottish slang and speech. There were quite a few words I tried to look up ( I read it on kindle) and they were just not found. It didn't hurt the reading but that's how different sometimes the same language can be depending on where it is spoken.
I think I rated it 4 stars on Goodreads. I had to take a day to take a break from reading. It was not a hard read and it was engrossing but I guess we could say it was "heavy".
I would recommend it, but caution that it is not a happy light read.

Old 02-17-2021, 05:50 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,937 times
I've been going through all the Percy Jackson books by Rick Riordan and loving them! Very similiar to Harry Potter

Old 02-18-2021, 10:00 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
[ Walt Longmire #11 ]

Old 02-19-2021, 05:47 AM

832 posts, read 412,794 times
After having read so many non-winners in a row, I finally came across a winner!

Just finished "Saint Mazie" by Jami Attenberg https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...22-saint-mazie

This was a 4.5 star read for me.

"Papa was not handsome. His eyes drooped, and his skin was the color of cold, watery soup. And those lines around his mouth and eyes made him always look furious, which he was. Lines don't lie."

"I didn't want nothing to do with marriage with a respectable man or any other kind of man. Not once in my life did I ever dream of my wedding day, no white dresses, no goddamn diamond rings. I only ever dreamed of freedom. The love I have is with the streets of this city."

"Today was my first day at the ticket booth in the theater. Glass cage is more like it. Prisoners would complain if it were their cell, that's how small it is. A chicken would squawk if it were his coop."

"It seems like it takes a lot of time, courting. You sit and wait for them to call you. Then you sit and wait for them to come to your home. Then you sit and wait for them to tell you how beautiful you are. Then you sit and wait for them to fall in love. I've no patience for any of it. I want instant love."

"She said: How's Rosie? I said: Why don't you call her and find out? She said: I might do that. I know she won't. It's foolish, the two of them not talking like that. Jeanie's scared, I know it. You don't get to break someone's heart twice like that and get off scot-free. You have to walk through a little fire first."

"Flophouses are just that, a place you go to flop face-first. There's only a bit more comfort in sleeping there than on the streets. They've got bugs and mold, and sheets like paper and mattresses that suck you in like a dirty old hole in the ground. But they've got showers, if you're the kind who cares about showering, and they're warmer than the streets in winter. And sometimes a warm bed is all it takes to make a man feel like he's champion of the world."

Old 02-20-2021, 10:43 PM
Status: "I have read 26 books this year!!!" (set 2 days ago)

449 posts, read 197,438 times
This novel is a joy!!!

Old 02-21-2021, 02:04 AM

3,838 posts, read 1,787,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvibrant View Post
This novel is a joy!!!

I will have to see if the library owns it thanks for sharing. I like the authors other book The Baker's daughter.

Finished The Paris Children it was okay, would have been better as a biography.

I am now reading a book I've waited months for; The Nature of Fragile Things by Susan Meissner.

Old 02-21-2021, 06:28 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,420,706 times
That Saint Mazie sounds good and I have added it to my list. ( Goodreads rating is moderately good but your review encouraged me).

I loved AOGG which I first read a few years ago and just for the cover picture I think I HAVE to read that lol.

I have read a few other books by Susan Meissner and enjoyed them ( I loved Tears as Bright as Heaven most).

And, I am now reading The Whistling Season. This was recommended by a few people very recently. I had never heard of it but decided to give it a try. It's really wonderful. I am only about 1/2 way through but it's delightful. And, after Shuggie Bain, which was a very good read but much of it bleak, this is perfect.

Old 02-21-2021, 08:50 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
Walt Longmire #12

Old 02-21-2021, 05:38 PM

316 posts, read 304,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvibrant View Post
This novel is a joy!!!

Oh, I'm so excited to see this! I loved the Anne of Green Gables books as a child.

Thank you!

I just finished "The Lager Queen of Minnesota". I had such high hopes for it but ended up disappointed. It had very strange time line jumps and way too much detail about the beer-making process.

I'm currently reading "The Shadow Box" by Luanne Rice and am really enjoying t so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books