U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2010, 12:09 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,618,683 times

Advertisements

Been a while since I've posted. In the last few weeks I've finished the Earth's Children series by Auel (hoping she finishes the sixth book soon!), reread the Women's Murder Club series, including the ninth book, by Patterson, and reread the Frankenstein books by Koontz, preparatory to reading the third and final installment. As much as I really enjoyed the series, I have to say that I hated the ending!
Am now reading a book given to me by a friend; Payback by Fern Michaels.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 02:53 PM

13,394 posts, read 43,593,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers19 View Post
I'm still reading Shanghai Girls and although I really like it,
I enjoyed Shanghai Girls, but I know what you mean, it did have some grim moments.
I began The Invisible Bridge a couple nights ago, and am totally enthralled.
It's one of those sweeping love story novels with colorful characters, vivid descriptions, and plenty of sorrowful events.
Review

Old 06-04-2010, 05:06 PM

15,895 posts, read 17,384,276 times
I've been reading a lot of heavy stuff lately and decided to read something light.

"Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt" by Beth Hoffman is a delight. It reminds me a lot of "The Secret Life of Bees."

It's has some sadness in it but mostly it is pure joy. I'm smiling just thinking about picking it up to continue the story.

If you are looking for a fast read that is a pleasure to read then I recommend this book.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:12 AM

17,330 posts, read 31,431,783 times
"The Imperfectionists" by Tom Rachman.
I don't typically read novels -- I really only read memoirs -- but this book, Tom Rachman's FIRST, was described in Christopher Buckley's New York Times book review as being a "perfect book."
So far, it is!

Old 06-05-2010, 05:13 PM

220 posts, read 260,421 times
So I finally decided I'd read Taliban by Ahmed Rashid. I got through the intro and first chapter, and then realized I kept putting off reading it. So I decided to read a chapter whenever I'm in the mood. It's a background book on the Taliban that was published in 2000.

I've been in a little bit of a funk lately, so I decided to read some things to put me in a good mood. I picked up Confessions of a Military Wife by Mollie Gross from the bookstore and finished it in a day. I'm not the fastest reader, so that just shows you how much I liked it. Gross's husband served as a Marine officer, and I'd been looking for a book from a Marine wife's perspective for awhile. This book has really helped me deal with my funk!

My old standbys for when I'm down in a dump are the Harry Potter series and Pride and Prejudice. So I'm re-reading the first Harry Potter book again and then the next 6 after that!

Old 06-06-2010, 09:19 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,618,683 times
Finished Payback but not sure if I'll ever pick up any more by that author as I found the book and the premise a bit simplistic. Kind of reminded me of the Harlequin books my mother used to read.

Decided I need a little heavier book, so now I'm rereading King's Duma Key.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:55 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,362,784 times
Just finished "The Wedding Officer" by Anthony Capella and greatly enjoyed it. It is light but an interesting trip into Naples during the Second World war, great food insights and historical details.

I 'm now reading "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert. So far, so good.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:23 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,510 posts, read 19,341,637 times
Half way through 'Captivating'--something about a woman's soul, and 'Wild at Heart', about the true nature of men.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:05 PM

81,944 posts, read 75,373,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABART View Post
I just finished "Lord of the Flies" by William Golding.
OH, I HATED that book when I read it in school (but I remember I got an A- on my report). Two years ago my daughter had to read it in high school, and she thought it was great.

Weirdo. She likes Shakespeare, too.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:24 PM

21,188 posts, read 24,106,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midge1021 View Post
My old standbys for when I'm down in a dump are the Harry Potter series and Pride and Prejudice. So I'm re-reading the first Harry Potter book again and then the next 6 after that!
Me, too!!! And as much as I'm thoroughly humiliated to admit this, I also reread the Twilight books when I'm feeling gloomy. Harry, Elizabeth, and Bella really pick me up!

Right now I'm reading The Mill on the Floss and I'm rereading The House of the Spirits. I just joined a book club and The House of the Spirits is the next book. I enjoyed it the first time through so I don't mind. However, Daughter of Fortune is my favoriet Isabel Allende book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books