Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2021, 09:41 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse66 View Post
Just finished "Nothing to See Here" by Kevin Wilson https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ng-to-see-here

Couldn't put this one down! So quirky and so funny! This was a 5 star read for me!

"And it was fine. It was awkward, but it felt like the size of the mansion, how fancy everything was, would make any normal situation more awkward. It wasn't bad. The kids weren't on fire. That was my new measuring stick for what was good and what was bad. Eating a Caesar salad and making boring small talk was not bad, not when the alternative was pulling down a set of thousand-dollar curtains because they were ablaze."
I have LOVED all of Kevin Wilson's books - Especially his short stories. He's quirky, clever and refreshing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2021, 04:46 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Sister Carrie, by Theodore Dreiser: https://www.gutenberg.org/files/233/233-h/233-h.htm
Quote:
Banned on publication for its questionable morals, Sister Carrie is the great American novel of seduction, a masterpiece of insight into appetite and innocence.https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/42840
I am on a kick to read as many classics from Project Gutenberg as I can. It's been interesting, often eye opening, and occasionally even shocking to read these authors from long ago.

Old 04-02-2021, 03:57 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
Another great read.. Similar to Thunderstruck with the twin stories - one of them involving a late to early 19th century police procedural hunting a madman - arguably the best part of the book.

Teaser quote:

Beginning that Saturday workers would begin hanging cars, thus placing upon the wheel its first serious stresses. Each of the thirty-six cars weighed thirteen tons, for a total of just under one million pounds. And that did not include the 200,000 pounds of additional live load that would be added as passengers filled the cars.

Old 04-03-2021, 07:42 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,420,706 times
Ok well, I added Nothing to See Here to my list.
Call Your Daughter Home was already on my list so maybe I will request it now Good reminder!

I finished Open Book, and the fact that I finished it is in and of itself noteworthy. I don't bail on too many books, and this one did keep my interest but at points I was wondering whey I bothered. Overall, it was decent and I think I needed something rather light so there it was. The biggest bit of info I got (which probably many people know but I was unaware) is that her husband played football at Yale.

Old 04-03-2021, 08:26 AM

74,140 posts, read 1,836,473 times
Right now I have James Patterson's Red Book on hold

Old 04-03-2021, 12:33 PM

Joe Pickett #21

Old 04-05-2021, 05:30 AM

[ goodreads ]

Old 04-05-2021, 09:03 AM

831 posts, read 412,794 times
Just finished "The Panopticon" by Jenni Fagan https://www.amazon.com/Panopticon-No.../dp/0385347952

Panopticon...A circular prison with cells so constructed that the prisoners can be observed at all times.

This was a 4 star read for me. Well written, but beware it had A LOT of cursing and raunchiness in it.

"The chairwoman sits back. She has a gleam of sweat on her collarbone. She's underweight. She probably lives on Ryvita, and anger. She looks like she's never laughed--not even once in her whole life."

"Hayley was quiet, and kind. Kindness is the most underrated quality on the planet. I feel hollow just now. Hollow where a heart should be. Like when you know someone loves you, but your urnay good enough--that it will go. That you'll make it go, it's only a matter of time."

"Joan turn the radio down and Isla snuggles in for a snooze on Tash. I wish I had someone who wanted me as much as that--like really wanted me like that. Maybe I just need a wee dog, and an artist's studio, and a side street in Paris. Not everyone needs people, ay."

"If that happens I will need to click my feet three times and find a place far--far f***ing away--to call home. Maybe an igloo. I could be the lone Eskimo, friend of whales and seals. Except I dinnae think Eskimos are right friendly with whales and seals. I think they just stab them, skin them, eat them, and wear their skin."

"Five visits by the police to the children's unit. My room gets searched. Staff quiz me. The polis look in the woods for stolen blue lights, and give me a lecture on how much money vandalism costs the average taxpayer a year. They talk to me a lot about the taxpayers. The taxpayers hate me. Why am I costing them so much money? I am selfish and personally responsible for their high taxes--they would like to see me hanging from the old oak tree."

Old 04-05-2021, 09:48 AM

3,838 posts, read 1,787,299 times
Finished The Rose Code it was 1 star at best, long and boring. Same author as The Alice Network, which I had some problems with, but had a better story-line and writing. I don't know if I will read Kate Quinn books anymore.

Old 04-05-2021, 10:35 AM

130,290 posts, read 12,105,905 times
Just finished "Last Day" by Luanne Rice, I found it overblown & boring & totally ridiculous ending.

I am about half way through "Not my Fathers Son" & finding it witty & well written. I had no idea the author (Alan Cummings) was from Scotland, & I'm enjoying some of the tales from Scotland. I liked him as an actor on "Instinct"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books