Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2021, 05:23 PM

329 posts, read 225,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
The Edward Abbey book I was reading - I had to return. I appreciated that Edward cared about preserving nature, but in one scene he was moving cattle and it was very hot. One cow laid down in the shade to keep cool and Edward said he beat the cow and kicked her until she got up. There are other books out there that care about the planet without animal cruelty.
Wintergirl, This is exactly the type of passage that could easily ruin the whole book for me. There is no reason, as far as I'm concerned, for writers to include scenes of animal cruelty, especially in a graphic manner. I don't care if it's fiction; it still disturbs me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2021, 05:46 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,833,342 times
New book is The Court of Thorns and Roses, and audiobook is Forensics, What Bugs, Burns, Prints, DNA, and More Tell Us about Crime

I'm glad I pushed through on The Reader. Damn, that was powerful.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-29-2021, 05:10 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Elizabeth George: In Search of the Proper Sinner

It's a big hard cover which makes it easier to speed read. Not in ULTRA mood or anywhere near, mind you, I know what I read at the end of the day, but as with any mystery, at any speed, so many names to keep track of. It's good, certainly what I should be doing, reading such things, instead of wasting so many hours on the Net. Reading it to know it, reading it to keep my speed reading up to par, reading it to clear books out of the library.

Old 06-29-2021, 06:18 AM

1,380 posts, read 724,060 times
"A Christmas Party" Georgette Heyer A group of somewhat unpleasant people gathered at an English manor for a Christmas party and then there was a murder...

Old 06-30-2021, 09:04 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I am trying to read "Underground Railroad" but some of the graphic descriptions of the violence the slaves endured is hard to read, so I'm not sure if I'll finish it. Its my book club book, so I'll find out what happened when we meet to discuss.

For light reading, kindle unlimited police mysteries. Currently: Best Served Cold by Gatward
The movie Eight Years a Slave was hard to watch for that reason, as was Midnight Express. At least in the latter one, the guy brought it on by committing a crime. Not so for the slave.

Old 07-01-2021, 01:16 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,143,131 times
Sean King & Michelle Maxwell #5

Old 07-01-2021, 06:21 AM

829 posts, read 411,855 times
Just finished "The Night Watchman" by Louise Erdrich https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...night-watchman

Winner of the 2021 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.

This was a 5 star read for me. Highly recommended! Loved everything about it and an easy read with very short chapters.

"Thomas was named for the muskrat, wazhashk, the lowly, hardworking, water-loving rodent. Muskrats were everywhere on the slough-dotted reservation. Their small supple forms slipped busily through water at dusk, continually perfecting their burrows, and eating (how they loved to eat) practically anything growing or moving in a slough. Although the wazhashkag were numerous and ordinary, they were also crucial. In the beginning, after the great flood, it was a muskrat who had helped remake the earth.

In that way, as it turned out, Thomas was perfectly named."

"The men smelled of hot oil, liquor sweat, spoiled meat, a million cigarettes, and they spoke in the language of the wolverine. Their beards ground against her face until her cheeks were raw. If she wanted to get away, she'd have to run through knives. If she got through the knives, she would have no skin left to protect her. She would be raw flesh. She would be a thing. She would be agony. Giant motors gnashed behind the wall. Occasionally, like a reverberating gong, she heard her mother call her name."

"Later when Patrice heard about Bucky's twisted mouth and how it was spreading down his side, she looked at her mother's face, serene and severe, for a clue. But Patrice knew that she herself had done it. Her hatred was so malignant it had lifted out of her like a night bird. It had flown straight to Bucky and sank its beak into the side of his face."

"The page was indeed still damp and the scent of fresh aniline dye flooded Millie with euphoria. It was perhaps her favorite smell. She also liked newly pumped gasoline, fried celery drenched in buttermilk, and rubber cement."

"So let her sleep, Millie thought, and fixed the first master sheet onto the drum of the spirit duplicator. She turned over the fluid tank, made the necessary adjustments in the pressure, the wick, the guide rail. Then she started turning the hand crank, lovingly, growing happier and happier as the intoxicating smell of duplicating fluid filled the office air."

"It was after his death that he found out the term. What they were up to. Assimilation. Their ways become your ways. He took stock. When they shaved his head and it grew out all fuzzy and spiky, Roderick sort of liked it. Like fur, he ran his hand over it. There were certain things he really went for. Canned peaches. But not the hard shoes. The trumpet. but not before sunrise. A warm woolen jacket. Wool socks. But then again, if they hadn't killed them off he could have had a curly buffalo jacket. And curly buffalo socks. Tuberculosis. For sure, he didn't like that. Did they have illness in those days? He hadn't heard of any and he had to wonder. What did Indians die of? Animals, accidents, cold, other Indians. He had heard back then there were so many animals, animals everywhere, so nobody starved."

From the Afterword and Acknowledgments:

In all, 113 tribal nations suffered the disaster of termination; 1.4 million acres of tribal land was lost. Wealth flowed to private corporations, while many people in terminated tribes died early, in poverty. Not one tribe profited. By the end, 78 tribal nations, including the Menominee, led by Ada Deer, regained federal recognition; 10 gained state but not federal recognition; 31 tribes are landless; 24 are considered extinct. Ada Deer's recent memoir, "Making a Difference: My Fight for Native Rights and Social Justice", is a great reading on this subject.

Lastly, if you should ever doubt that a series of dry words in a government document can shatter spirits and demolish lives, let this book erase that doubt. Conversely, if you should be of the conviction that we are powerless to change those dry words, let this book give you heart.

Old 07-01-2021, 03:04 PM

539 posts, read 241,090 times
the all true travels and adventures of Liddie Newton by Jane Smiley . I m waiting to get a horse in paris that she also wrote .I love her style of writing and she usually uses animals as her charecters and I love that . Sort of reminds me of the commercial that petsmart had with the people first and then you saw them as dogs and cats LOL . Im looking at some of your posts and i want to read some of these books you all have been reading .

Old 07-01-2021, 07:02 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,143,131 times
Put down The Sixth Man to start this one (with a short due date):

_

Old 07-01-2021, 11:57 PM
Status: "I have read 26 books this year!!!" (set 1 day ago)

449 posts, read 196,639 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books