Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2021, 06:37 PM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times

Advertisements

Grisham "A Time for Mercy" - excellent so far....as usual!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2021, 03:22 AM
Status: "I have read 24 books this year!!!" (set 2 days ago)

436 posts, read 195,488 times

Old 07-03-2021, 08:09 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,137,018 times
Killer Show: The Station Nightclub Fire, America's Deadliest Rock Concert, John Barylick 2012

Old 07-03-2021, 09:23 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
"Boys in the Boat", about the rowing team America sent to the 1936 Berlin Olympics.

Old 07-03-2021, 06:40 PM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
Sigh, I am remembering when each page of this thread had probably 15 or more posts talking about the books people were reading or had finished. Some people wrote quite a bit about the books, and others just mentioned the name and their overall opinion.
Now with all the book covers being shared, it has become a lot less meaningful at least for me.
I really would encourage people to just put the book title, author is readily available and some sort of discussion or a sentence or two about it.
I do not mean to offend anyone but I used to find so many great suggestions here and now it leaves me cold.

That said, I just read East of Eden, which I never read. I heard so many recommendations of it and had been meaning to read it for a few years. I finally decided this was the time. It really was all that. I am taking some time to digest it and keep thinking that i will reread it because there is so much there.

Old 07-03-2021, 07:05 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Sigh, I am remembering when each page of this thread had probably 15 or more posts talking about the books people were reading or had finished. Some people wrote quite a bit about the books, and others just mentioned the name and their overall opinion.
Now with all the book covers being shared, it has become a lot less meaningful at least for me.
I really would encourage people to just put the book title, author is readily available and some sort of discussion or a sentence or two about it.
I do not mean to offend anyone but I used to find so many great suggestions here and now it leaves me cold.

That said, I just read East of Eden, which I never read. I heard so many recommendations of it and had been meaning to read it for a few years. I finally decided this was the time. It really was all that. I am taking some time to digest it and keep thinking that i will reread it because there is so much there.
I read East of Eden a few years ago, & it was such a great book, a true classic. The mother was such a monster.

Old 07-03-2021, 08:39 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post

I definitely agree with your comments regarding the desire for more dialogue and less book covers!

Speaking of covers, though, I just read a book that I'm pretty sure I chose because I liked the cover. Turns out the cover was the only part I really liked! Keeper of the Lost Things by Ruth Hogan was definitely not a winner for me. The characters were all just too much of what they were supposed to be - too bitter, too angry, too simple minded, too narrow minded... Oddly, there were two different story lines - one of which started in 1983 and moved along to present day, but the other started and ended in present day meaning the entire book wasn't moving along at the same chronological pace. Maybe I'm not describing that technique well, but I found it super distracting. Oh well, at least the cover was pretty.

Old 07-03-2021, 09:17 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
A new discovery of a writer from the 70s and 80s.

"Another Wonderful Thing," by Laurie Colwin. I read this article about her in the Wall Street Journal and decided to risk buying a copy. Glad I did. Wonderful and richly humane.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/laurie-...ts_pos4&page=1

Old 07-04-2021, 02:08 AM

3,827 posts, read 1,780,418 times
I finished "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" Very good book. It really opened my eyes to the different tragedies the Native American people experienced. The perspective of several tribes were shared - It's an important book to read and learn how we really acquired our land.

Next is:

"The Last Stand: Custer, Sitting Bill and the Battle of Little Bighorn"--- by Nathaniel Philbrick

Last edited by Wintergirl80; 07-04-2021 at 02:26 AM..

Old 07-06-2021, 05:00 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
A new discovery of a writer from the 70s and 80s.

"Another Wonderful Thing," by Laurie Colwin. I read this article about her in the Wall Street Journal and decided to risk buying a copy. Glad I did. Wonderful and richly humane.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/laurie-...ts_pos4&page=1
That looks interesting and I don't think I ever heard of it so thanks!

I finished The Weight of a Piano, and while it was a good read, ( after the first 20 pages or so) I was not overwhelmed by it. I would give it 3 or 3.5 stars out of 5. There were a lot of interesting parts to it, and I appreciated much of the history or time period part but the characters I thought were a bit off. I did learn a bit though and it got me looking up and listening to some music so that was a good thing!
Not sure what will be next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books